Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: shock recommendations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2008, 01:49 PM   #1

Talking shock recommendations

im tired of the cheap leaky scorpion shocks. i want to get some good aluminum ones. whats everybody running?
Crawlin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2008, 01:55 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Im running traxxas big bores on my BlackJack. I am very happy with them. They are nice and smooth, but if you are running them on the stock chassis they are a little short, unless you run the axial shaft in them.

Josh
Josh87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 02:29 PM   #3

integy msr10 but you have to run them in full drop( use the lighter springs and 3 hole piston ) i also used a small amount of fuel tubing on the bottom as a stop
saltek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 02:40 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

why do you have to run them in full [droop]? the stock dampers from the axial shock will also work as a stop but should probably be cut in half on the msr10. I will be getting the msr10's and plan to install them upside down to get CG lower and also cut the springs in half and intall half above and below the piston. Has anyone else tried this setup?
TRA3905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 03:09 PM   #5
ghetto fabulous newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRA3905 View Post
why do you have to run them in full [droop]? the stock dampers from the axial shock will also work as a stop but should probably be cut in half on the msr10. I will be getting the msr10's and plan to install them upside down to get CG lower and also cut the springs in half and intall half above and below the piston. Has anyone else tried this setup?
Its called 50/50
yotachump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 09:11 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

i tried doing a search for 50/50 with no results. obiously you just posted the terminology so why wouldn't the search yield any results?
Old 02-04-2008, 09:16 PM   #7

Iended up emailing integy and asked them how they ran the shocks on the axial, there reply: For crawling application (unlike regular truck set), the shocks are not supposed to extend out try using the soft spring and the long rod end. and beleive me they work slick like this. i did try putting the lighter spring under the piston to push it up as well , both having the sping over and under seemed to work well.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:35 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawlin' View Post
im tired of the cheap leaky scorpion shocks.
ya know, there is nothing wrong with the stock plastic shocks, people just don't know how to bleed them properly. I have been using my axial with stock shocks and 50wt oil for 4 months now and havent had one leak.

Aluminum shocks are the way to go if you got the coin. I'll stick to plastic, much cheaper...
mysharona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 01:53 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

After trying a few different set-ups, I too am pleased with the stock axial shocks. Some rcp internal springs, stock big bore springs, and some fuel tubing worked out well for me.
stanbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 02:17 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysharona View Post
ya know, there is nothing wrong with the stock plastic shocks, people just don't know how to bleed them properly. I have been using my axial with stock shocks and 50wt oil for 4 months now and havent had one leak.

Aluminum shocks are the way to go if you got the coin. I'll stick to plastic, much cheaper...
X2. If you fill your shocks to the brim (especially when running a heavy wt oil), they generate alot of internal pressure. That pressure has to go somewhere. Be more conservative with your shock oil and they work great.
grapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 05:24 AM   #11
RCC Addict

But if you do decide to go to a different shock. I would go with the traxxas big bores, there ultra smooth and durable.
JUSTGOINGSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:50 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

i would highly reccommend the traxxas big bores. they give you a lower cog as well as offering super smooth travel.
madmaxxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:01 AM   #13

cool thanks for the help. i think that i just didnt bleed them right so ill try that before i get new shocks. 70 bucks is a little too much for my budget right now
Crawlin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:12 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

I'm using the Traxxas alluminium big bores and they are great,
as far as price goes I got a new set in sealed package of eight
shocks off ebay for $ 45.00 shipped
03kjrocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 07:42 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

would a shorter shock limit articulation? I find that my stock axial shocks are the end points of my articulation. I can't get my axles perpendicular to each other now. I would think that by going with a shorter shock, it would further limit articulation. While I'm on the subject, what is optimal articulation? Is almost perpendicular too much?
Old 02-05-2008, 11:08 PM   #16

Smile

yes you dont need the axil to travil that much , if you are going to use the stock shocks here is a good guide http://www.rccrawler.com/axialcompbuild.html
or you can also remove the springs and do a drop setup so far myself i prefer the drop it climbs very well if you drop it you will need the stops or tubing on the outside and play with different length stops on the inside of the shocks . myself i would try the stock shock stops on the inside of the shock and use a small ammount of fuel tubing on the outside (yoabout u dont want the truck to sit too low) also if you are going to run the spings run lighter springs in the front and run stronger ones in the rear, and a little more preload on the left rear to fight the torque twist. hope that all made sense, the stock shocks are nice. if you dont have $60 to buy the integy ones or similar then dont worry it the stock ones work very well they just need a tune up. too much articulation can be harmfull, go to youtube and veiw some vids of real rock crawlers they dont have crazzy articulation. it just looks cool
Old 02-06-2008, 07:39 AM   #17
TEAM MODERATOR

About 45-50 degrees is all you need.Anything more that that and your rig will become floppy and unpredictable.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 07:41 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

I recently put the Axial aluminum bodies on the stock shocks and they are very nice. My stockers started to leak and this took care of the problem.
dkingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 08:38 AM   #19

Default one last quick tip from me

make sure you dont have any pressure in the shock no matter which ones you use.. push the shock shaft all the way in it should not extend by itself
Old 02-06-2008, 09:18 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

hard to tell when you have internal springs installed! (on top of the piston)