Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Straight axle carnage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2008, 09:55 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Straight axle carnage

To my knowledge no one has posted anything like this.
This is with my Ti locker and RCP SS straight axles.

Was testing and got her bound up pretty hard and the jato driveline snapped so hard it sounded like a 22 caliber went off. Put a new jato driveline on her and rolled it in the shop and low and behold the RR tire was wobbling bad. Pulled the rim/tire off and the stub of the axle was bent so bad I couldnt get the hex off. After straightening it with a large pair of channel locks got the hex off. Pulled the axle apart to make sure the internals were ok. Couldnt get the outer bearing off either, had to file the crap out of the axle to get the bearing off. The hole the cross pin goes in was so skewed and twisted I couldnt believe it. When I pulled teh axle out of the locker saw this. The axle flat is twisted almost a full 90* and not a scratch on the locker........
Attached Images

Rocksmith Eng. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2008, 09:58 PM   #2
Keep it real

OK, I'm sold on the lockers Dennis(like I wasn't already)
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:03 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I've got a axle that looks identical.

I bent and twisted mine during a 4-5ft fall at a comp, only minimal damage to the stock locker.
Mad4Rnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:18 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

That is very impressive. I know what is on my list to buy now. Cheers!
FightinURfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:23 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

So the weak point now are the axle shafts? Thats pretty good.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:39 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I don't know about the RCP axles, but one of their competitors makes their axles out of 303 stainless, which is very corrosion resistant, but is also very soft and cannot be hardened . 303 is popular because it's easy to stamp, but it just isn't adequate for axles. I wish someone would make them out of a chrome moly with a zinc or black oxide coating. I'd gladly give up some corrosion resistance to have them not break (hint hint) Titanium is strong, but I think you'd want a little bit more ductility for axleshafts.

Last edited by chrisjlittle; 03-03-2008 at 11:42 PM.
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:45 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2JSC View Post
So the weak point now are the axle shafts? Thats pretty good.
Actually my jato driveshafy gave up before this did, but I would say this is a very close second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjlittle View Post
I wish someone would make them out of a chrome moly with a zinc or black oxide coating. I'd gladly give up some corrosion resistance to have them not break (hint hint)
Thats funny, I have some 4130 on the way here now.............
Old 03-04-2008, 12:25 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjlittle View Post
I don't know about the RCP axles, but one of their competitors makes their axles out of 303 stainless, which is very corrosion resistant, but is also very soft and cannot be hardened . 303 is popular because it's easy to stamp, but it just isn't adequate for axles. I wish someone would make them out of a chrome moly with a zinc or black oxide coating. I'd gladly give up some corrosion resistance to have them not break (hint hint) Titanium is strong, but I think you'd want a little bit more ductility for axleshafts.
X2 and nice carnage pics 'smith. I bought the RCP rear straight axle inner and outer setup....very nice but I would rather have had chrome moly or good carbon steel for the shafts....but SS was all anybody offered and RCP's looked the beefiest and most quality materials. Mine are so far, so good....but I haven't opened em up since I built em.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:23 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

I've wondered if this would be a problem with the straight axle conversions. The good thing about the stock setup is that there is some flex in the axle and plastic axle carriers if you bowling ball your truck down a hill.
Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:43 AM   #10
Nor-CalRCRC

I think the ti lockers will be great.

I am with the others on going to something stronger than SS for the straight axles. The problem I have seen with them is also an issue with the TLT versions. If your crawler takes a good tumble and lands on a rear wheel the axle can bend quite easily. I have witnessed it several times with people I have crawled with.
montereycrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:47 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by montereycrawler View Post
If your crawler takes a good tumble and lands on a rear wheel the axle can bend quite easily. I have witnessed it several times with people I have crawled with.
He's not talking about my driving skills... *sigh*

Seriously though, the rcp shafts are way too easy to bend. I've killed 2 of them. The stock axial axle shaft material is good. anyhow, back to bending axles...

Last edited by rdtshaw; 03-04-2008 at 09:37 AM.
rdtshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:56 AM   #12
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Gotta ask, what motor and battery were you using?
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:23 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

My friend destroyed 2 SS rear shafts his first run out with them. Both bent badly with no hard falls and 1 was twisted and ready to break at the pin. I dont know which ones had though.
rocktoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:40 AM   #14
ghetto fabulous newbie

From the pic it doesn't look like the axle shaft was all they way into the locker.I thought you said the shaft goes all the way into the Ti lockers.
yotachump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:49 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Gotta ask, what motor and battery were you using?

Your gonna be proud JRH, I was using your Crawlmaster sport and a 8c 1500mah 2/3a saddle pack with a 9t in the R2D. Really like that motor. But Im gonna swap out the 9t for 10t, need a bit more wheelspeed. When the driveline snapped I thought that was the only thing that broke. I guess Im gonna have to be a lil more carefull. I made a couple Ti axles yesterday and doing some testing on those now, after I went to the LHS and bought all the Jato drivelines they had!

We will see how it goes, lot of testing to do, lot of parts to try and break.
I love my job!
Old 03-05-2008, 10:59 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotachump View Post
From the pic it doesn't look like the axle shaft was all they way into the locker.I thought you said the shaft goes all the way into the Ti lockers.
It goes almost all the way in. And I think when the shaft started twisting it pulled out of the locker cuz when I unscrewed the straight axle adapter it popped off with force. With the cross pin in there, it limits the shaft from going all the way in. My Ti locker cross pin has the center of it machined to allow more shaft in the locker. My Ti axles has a halfmoon machined in the flats end of the axle which allows full penetration in the locker. I can only make the locker so big and still fit in the locker carrier. I am working on a design in autocad now that will make the carrier and locker out of one piece of Ti. Its a large piece of Ti with a lot of machining and not sure if it would be cost effective. But I am gonna make a couple and see how it turns out.

Stay tuned.........
Old 03-05-2008, 11:18 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Hmmm crappy deal...I just ordered a set of the stainless and before I did was wondering if they were proven yet. I dont see many posts of broken stock shafts do you think a stocker would have blown too?
miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:11 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller View Post
Hmmm crappy deal...I just ordered a set of the stainless and before I did was wondering if they were proven yet. I dont see many posts of broken stock shafts do you think a stocker would have blown too?
The SS shafts from RCP are awesome shafts, dont get me wrong. I got it bound hard and anyone else would have backed out. I am torture testing my stuff to see the break and wear points. My Ti lockers are just bombproof and they are now snapping other components. I havent seen anything like this posted. Yea if it falls off of a 6' rock on a wheel she is gonna bend. Under normal use the SS RCP shafts are a great product and will last a long time.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:14 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

While you're testing can you throw a set of stockers in and break em :-P ....just so we know how they hold up.
miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:20 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

has anyone thought about getting the shafts cryo'd just like the 1:1's?
dirtydirtysouf is offline   Reply With Quote