Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Gc-1 low cog build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2008, 01:41 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoNuS LiNe View Post
the cog can never be to low for a crawler
it sit's right about 2.75

this pic show slightly less than that but the pre load collars were adjusted down in this pic
okay, the first pic just looked a little low.

I love the way you mounted that dig servo. any way we could get some more shots of the mount or some little write up on it. I agree with you on mounting it somewhere else and it looks like you found the perfect spot Everything looks very neatly built and designed. Great looking crawler
yukon635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2008, 02:18 PM   #22
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon635 View Post

I love the way you mounted that dig servo. any way we could get some more shots of the mount or some little write up on it. I agree with you on mounting it somewhere else and it looks like you found the perfect spot Everything looks very neatly built and designed. Great looking crawler
x2

Nice clean build. I bet it performs amazing. Even though your cog is really low, are you running weights in your rims?
bi_eep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 03:53 PM   #23
Rock Stacker

I like the battery tray alot. Really nice build.
brokeass4runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 05:46 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by billet works View Post
That is a great looking rig you have there. Awesome job on dig servo relocation!

Don
VF
thank you don ! i look forward to building one of the new vf chassis i have some sick ideas .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hildy View Post
Phenominal is the only word for that truck.
thanks hildy , half the build time was sitting staring and thinking my way through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
That truck is Awsome great job on the build
guess i should be thanking you for pumping out this beautiful chassis. i bet you feel like a proud papa everytime you see a new build. cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXcrawler View Post
Does the dig servo mount in 2 places? I could see 1 but without 2 I would think it would rotate.
it does indeed have more than one mounting point actually there are 8 screws holding it in place .

Quote:

i would be glad to take some shots of how i did the servo mount . i will add them to this thread today , i really wanted the servo even lower but the damn suspension links got in the way lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by bi_eep View Post
x2

Nice clean build. I bet it performs amazing. Even though your cog is really low, are you running weights in your rims?
thank i have not run the rig yet im sure it'll do well
im running nearly 1lb in each front wheel in the front and about 1/2 rear .

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeass4runner View Post
I like the battery tray alot. Really nice build.
thanks the tray sits nice n low

Last edited by BoNuS LiNe; 04-07-2008 at 06:25 PM.
BoNuS LiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 05:50 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

great looking build and you have come up with some great ideas.
juststartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 06:48 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by juststartin View Post
great looking build and you have come up with some great ideas.
thanks for checking out my build .

ok so dig servo mount , the idea was to lower the servo as much as possible , key things to keep in mind are solid mounting , direct linkage alignment and simplicity

i found all three elements in a piece of aluminum angle .
i start by holding the servo around where I wanted it and then cycled the suspension to see where your clearance issues will be then adjust accordingly .

mounting points should be on either the chassis plate or from the skid plate for the lowest mount possible . i chose the frame plate as the skid plate area is pretty much taken up . i chose to utilize one of the suspension link mounting bolts as one of the mount points which meant drilling only one hole through the chassis plate to mount the bracket.

i mock up any bracket first using some cereal box to cut , shape and fit the intended bracketry . once i am happy with the design i will carve it out of an appropriate material .

the pix are pretty self explanatory if anyone has any questions feel free .

also it is my feeling that the dig servo should be isolated from the dig unit jamming , fast way to smoke a servo
i like using standard throttle linkage parts with heavy springs to take up any shock from the dig unit being bound up . it works really slick to protect your dig servo and once you shift if the dig is bound up the spring will shift it as soon as the dig is free enough to shift .

cheers,

alan

Old 04-07-2008, 06:54 PM   #27
RCC Addict

Thanks for the write up on that. I am going to use your idea on my new GC build with the VF dig. I love the way it brings the weight lower but yet still functions perfectly

edit: Now get that thing on the rocks and scratch up some of that purty bling
yukon635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 06:59 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Are you using both free wheel and lock functions on your dig? Your setup looks good.
LIKES2CRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 06:59 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

im on that as soon as i get my slingshot and vf dig. you are the man. thanks again..
maro69camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 07:26 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Thanks for the write up on that. I am going to use your idea on my new GC build with the VF dig. I love the way it brings the weight lower but yet still functions perfectly

edit: Now get that thing on the rocks and scratch up some of that purty bling
shit'll be abused in the next few days , living in the sierra mountains has a ton of great shale and granite crawl spots

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIKES2CRAWL View Post
Are you using both free wheel and lock functions on your dig? Your setup looks good.
yes all three dig positions will be used

Quote:
Originally Posted by maro69camaro View Post
im on that as soon as i get my slingshot and vf dig. you are the man. thanks again..
slingshot build should be nice , i think that might be in my future as well , look for a detailed slingshot build using highly modified poulson axles and some other cool trickery

peace and chicken grease

alan
Old 04-07-2008, 07:59 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for all the pics. Definitely going to try the battery tray.
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 08:07 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Yeah looks slick, good job. I am with Rockcrawler, I will definately be looking at trying the battery tray.
promatchrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 06:14 AM   #33
On the lookout for Rocks

What foams are you using? Are they cut?
constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:52 AM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by constantmotion View Post
What foams are you using? Are they cut?
i am experimenting with some different designs using a new material other than foam , i am using a 2 piece molded design ,they are soft for conforming to the surface but they provide a lot of support on sidehills without folding under.

it takes a week to make a set because of the cure properties of the material so experimenting with changing design takes a lot of time but im getting close as i have been testing these for a while on my basher.

thanks for checking out the build
Old 04-15-2008, 10:38 AM   #35
Quarry Creeper

ok had some time to finish up the truck and take it out for some abuse , first off the extra effort that went into lowering the cog as much as possible has really paid off . the truck goes places that boggle the mind compared to previous trucks . it is glued to sidehills , i kept hearing over and over from the guys "there is no way your gonna make it out of that position " or "how the hell did you get it up there " usally followed by "wtf" and "now way" lol

i'll try to get some video this week of it doing severe sidehill work

other than the vf dig needing to be smoothed out not to stick in lock position the truck has exceeded all expectations.

cheers,

alan
Old 04-24-2008, 08:13 PM   #36
Rock Crawler

Can't wait till you post a vid!!
dezrik is offline   Reply With Quote