Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Project Low Bucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2008, 10:50 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Project Low Bucks

Well my son has gotten to the point were he isn't happy just hanging out at the comps, he wants to crawl. So at the last comp, I let him run my rig. Bad idea as he proceeded to hammer the throttle, that action w/ Axial's flubber...... I mean aluminum motor plate flexing almost cost me a chance to run.

So what to do?

I started making some calls and things started to fall into line.

I got a great deal on a Axial Scorpion from Holmes Hobbies and that was the starting point.

I didn't want to spend any more than absolutely necessary at this point in my sons entry into the sport. I have a GC-1 chassis, but I figured I'd let him beat on the stock chassis for a while and let him gain some experience w/ it first.

At the same time, I wanted his rig to work well for him, so I built the kit as per Axial's instructions until it was time to mount the links to the chassis.

After seeing numerous builds here on RCC, I went ahead and in-boarded the lower links to prevent them from hanging up on the rocks.

Next I tossed the kit shocks in a box. I couldn't keep the caps from leaking and popping off. As I looked around the bench, I found a set of Hot Racing 4 inch units, so on they went.

Next was the rear links, I had read Eee Pee's Axial build and found the asymmetric link mounting very tempting. Just so happens while looking for an in-expensive servo, I found a set of the Boomerang link mounts and a MG 995 in the For Sale section for $20.00!

When they arrived, I installed the Boomerang link mounts and then started looking for some upper links as the stock links were to short after I relocated the mounting point on the chassis to improve the geometry. Got lucky and found a set of Jato Links that were perfect after a few turns of the turnbuckle!

I had the links worked out and the shocks mounted, so I moved on to tires. I knew the stock Rock Lizard tires sucked, so into the parts bin once again and pulled out my IMEZ Rubicons (these things work extremely well in our area) and mounted them on the kit wheels w/ a set of Aces Donuts memory foams after adding 6 oz's of ballast to the front wheels and 4 to the rears.

Now I needed electronics, I had got the servo, a local member gave me a good used 55t motor so all I needed was a Tx/Rx and ESC. Made a call to Jarod at JP Custom RC's and explained what I needed the stuff for. He looked around the shop and found a used TQ2 and Traxxas XL5 ESC. Good enough to start w/ (I did) and the price was right. THANKS JAROD!!!!

All that was left was battery, looked into my RC18 stuff and found a Elite 1500 2/3 A 6 cell pack, perfect!

Mounted everything up, recycled my Betty body and my boy in good to go for under $250.00!

I want to give a big thanks to Jarod, Johnrob, and Ross. All Missouri boys that helped me to get this rig up and running for my son. I think I'm more excited to see him run this weekend that I am to run my new BlackJack!

On to the pics.

All finished up, w/ 2 3/4 inches of center chassis clearance.

The Eee Pee Link.

Front shot.

Electronics located.

In-boarded links.

Body mounted.

Flex shot.

Last edited by dezfan; 04-10-2008 at 11:34 PM.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2008, 11:09 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Nice. I'm really stoked for the day my son gets old enough to go crawling with me. It'll be a bit, as he's only 10 months. How in the world did you get a 2 3/4 inch ride height with 4" shocks. I'm running a set of 4" Losis and am getting about 2 1/4.
Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 11:15 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer Snerd View Post
Nice. I'm really stoked for the day my son gets old enough to go crawling with me. It'll be a bit, as he's only 10 months. How in the world did you get a 2 3/4 inch ride height with 4" shocks. I'm running a set of 4" Losis and am getting about 2 1/4.
Not sure, just lucky? This is the first Axial I've built that was close to stock. Usually the only thing that I use are the axles and tranny.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:31 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

man you do good builds.....how do you keep your wires spiraled like that ??...mine always end up coming unraveled...lol
TIMZKRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 11:39 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMZKRAWLER View Post
man you do good builds.....how do you keep your wires spiraled like that ??...mine always end up coming unraveled...lol
I spiral the leads around one of my long Allen wrenches, get it as tight as possible and then hold it there for roughly 15-20 seconds, it recoils just a bit, but stays nice and tight.

Thanks for the compliment.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:10 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Nice rig for the money! We will have 2 young'uns runnin this Sun.My son has been buggin the hell out of me to run,so he will get his chance this weekend.
Hellbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:37 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

thats a nice rig!!
biotoxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:11 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

That was a great decision Dez, he's going to love his new rig and it won't take you out of the competition by sharing. Great way to bond with your son. I'm doing the same thing with my son in law and it's been a good way for us to get closer (only he's 35 and never done anything RC before) lol
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:57 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
That was a great decision Dez, he's going to love his new rig and it won't take you out of the competition by sharing. Great way to bond with your son. I'm doing the same thing with my son in law and it's been a good way for us to get closer (only he's 35 and never done anything RC before) lol

Your never to young to start, I got my grandfather into nitro trucks about 2 summers back and he was in his late 60's.
RollinOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:58 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbilly View Post
Nice rig for the money! We will have 2 young'uns runnin this Sun.My son has been buggin the hell out of me to run,so he will get his chance this weekend.
Love seeing the little one get involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ussprinceton2004 View Post
great job!
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by biotoxic View Post
thats a nice rig!!
My son really likes it, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
Yeah, I thought I would just share my rig. That wasn't a good idea at all. So now we're both covered.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:11 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

That is a heck of a rig for 250.00, Great job dezfan
JBHardwear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 01:27 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbhardwear View Post
That is a heck of a rig for 250.00, Great job dezfan
Thanks, got some great deals, some scrounging around the parts bin and the generosity of a club member made it all possible.

Just goes to prove that you don't have to spend a fortune to have a nice rig.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:41 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Makes me want to bang my head on a desk as to why I am not going this route for my build. For some masochistic reason I am buying all new top of the line stuff for mine. This has caused me to build part by part over the last two months. I should have just got it running like you have done here. Your son has a great looking rig and should be very capable as well. Great job.
O.C.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 01:45 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc J33P View Post
Makes me want to bang my head on a desk as to why I am not going this route for my build. For some masochistic reason I am buying all new top of the line stuff for mine. This has caused me to build part by part over the last two months. I should have just got it running like you have done here. Your son has a great looking rig and should be very capable as well. Great job.
Since this is his first rig, I figured I'd let him work through the learning curve on this before starting to upgrade it.
Old 04-12-2008, 03:17 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

how good is that esc working? i had one and i got tired of it and got a rooster be cause of the reverse delay i guess i had it programmed worng but looks good good to see kids join the hobby even though im one lol
breitenbach14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 04:32 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Love this build, will have to trim my body like that it looks soooooo much better:-P
English Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 08:17 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Nice truck for the money, can't wait till my boy is old enough!!
crawlbe4youwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 04:39 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by breitenbach14 View Post
how good is that esc working? i had one and i got tired of it and got a rooster be cause of the reverse delay i guess i had it programmed worng but looks good good to see kids join the hobby even though im one lol
It's not the best, but the price was right and it will work for him in the short term.
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Steve View Post
Love this build, will have to trim my body like that it looks soooooo much better:-P
Thanks, wanted to mount it as low as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlbe4youwalk View Post
Nice truck for the money, can't wait till my boy is old enough!!
I'm stoked! Tomorrow is going to be a blast!
Old 04-12-2008, 06:44 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

yeah its an ok build....lol.....now get it finished so the boy can kick our butts at the comp tomorrow.
ROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 06:56 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhhmaxx View Post
yeah its an ok build....lol.....now get it finished so the boy can kick our butts at the comp tomorrow.
Just finished putting new wire and a fresh Deans plug on the motor, just have to install it.

Last edited by dezfan; 04-14-2008 at 07:41 PM.