Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: turning radius

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2008, 06:47 PM   #1

Default turning radius

Anyone have any tips for improving the turning radius. I know, go DIG and you can turn on a dime. Until that time I am looking to improve my ability to turn.

Thanks,
Tim
pressurepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2008, 07:17 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

i set my EPA's at 125% and the tires rub a little on the chassis so i set it to 120% and it has OK turning
madmax22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:26 PM   #3

Look about 1/2 way down the page http://www.rccrawler.com/axialcompbuild.html replacing the 2 front screws with countersunk head screws seemed to help quite a bit in tightening up my turning radius.
HTH
Steve
pinolefm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:44 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Also because of the steering arms on the front, it makes for crappy ackerman. If you will give a little toe out it will help with the ackerman and turn a little better.

Randy
racerrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:45 PM   #5

Theres a couple things you can do. Each require some fab skills and know how. First stimple one is to take your tires off and set the EPA's. I say take the tires off because just running them 125% crams the stub into the drive axle and causes things to wobble around, and eventually break the stock C, in my case anyways.
I found with the stock steering setup, you turn sharper one way than the other. The servo arm should not point straight down, it needs to be set longer just a tad. I spaced mine with washers to get a final dimension. This is from the knuckle and when it pushaway it take more throw in the arc to produce the same amount as bringing the knuckle close to the axle.
You can build a BTA, which produces correct akerman (inside tire needs to turn sharper than the outside tire, stock front style steering has this a$$ backwards)
Or you can weld on some HPI CVD's and run BTA and get about 15 more degrees of steering over the stock setup......I am very pleased with this.

Nathan
nathaninwa is offline   Reply With Quote