Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: AX-10 Upgrades

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2008, 10:54 PM   #1

Default AX-10 Upgrades

I bought an AX-10 and am happy except of course when the plastic driveshafts pop off under pressure. besides haveing to order alloy driveshafts, what is reccomended as a few first steps. I also want to go larger on tire size. The RC4WD rims helped a lot adding some weight to the corners. I also added some lead to the front axle. Can I go up to a 40 series tire?? I am building a home built crawler and am dufinately going with 40 series on it but am not sure how much stress the Axial axles can handle. I have Axial axles for my home built also but may use TLT axles. I only have one of those so far. But if Axial axles can handle it, I will stay with those. Also on the Axial, I do have bent links and am using the outtermost holes for the rod ends. I know it can perform better and wanna know what to do first. Then second and so on. Any advise will be appreciated and followed. The body seems to give some restriction also in the corners of the wheelwells. I do all the mods and painting myself bein that I own a custom paint n body shop here in town. So I can fab whatever necessary to make this thing crawl. Please help.
STEELBREEZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2008, 11:01 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Wow, that is a lot of questions. I would take a look at the "stickied" threads in the AX10 forum for starters. A little searching should take care of the remainder. Many of the mods are personal preference to be honest, so you should take a look at them and make your own decisions. Aluminum knuckles and C's for more steering throw are important, strong driveshafts/axles are also important. Make sure that your links are mounted inside the shocks, and that nothing is binding. The information can go on for several thousand words and Im only a newbie, haha. Search and you will find, the guys on here have covered every aspect in great detail for us to find.
MuchMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:05 PM   #3

Already ordered the alloy driveshafts but haven't arrived yet. Wheels helped a lot. But that is what I wanted to know. Peoples personal preferences. Was hoping to get help. as far as the rest of your reply, they are covered. But hey, thanx anyway. Things in stickies I already have most. It's up n running. I wanna make it stronger. So I still wanna hear preferences if it's not a problem. Thanx

After rereading your post I relaized the links are outside my shocks and tried to switch. Which seems quite impossible with the bent links. Maybe that is with stock links?? The on only way I could accomplish it was to make 1/16th spacers for chassis side of links and turn axle rod ends upside down which decreased height a lil. Still seems to be some binding. None with them outside the shocks. Hope to get help here tho. If it's too much of a bother, I will find solutiions. Seems the place to be for info. And I did read the stickies. Need expert advise. Thanx

Last edited by STEELBREEZE; 07-13-2008 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:11 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

This is a good starting point.......

http://www.rccrawler.com/axialcompbuild.html
Radron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:43 PM   #5

Already did a couple of the mods suggested in the thread. it helped a lot. thanx for the help. Nice to see quick info that was very good. Hope to post some action shots from the rock garden.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:56 PM   #6
RCC Addict

This is JUST for the axles. They would make these axles bullet proof.
ADDICT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 06:17 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

I had the same issue of the driveshafts popping off until i changed out the stock 27t motor. Once i changed to a integy 55t it has not happened again.
GrapeApe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrapeApe View Post
I had the same issue of the driveshafts popping off until i changed out the stock 27t motor. Once i changed to a integy 55t it has not happened again.
Same here. I went up to a 65t and haven't had another issue with the stock shafts.
flexcj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:56 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Ran a novak goat in mine and haven't had any popping driveshafts etc.
celicaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 03:32 PM   #10

well, the only motor I have had in mine is an integy 45 turn. I continually had the problem till I put the RC4WD alloy driveshafts in. Stopped the problem of popping off, but am extremely dissatisfied with the quality of the driveshafts. Might just get the collars for the plastic shafts n go back to them. i have had no problems with the actual axles. But now the shocks seem to pop apart all the sudden. Which was never a problem till the driveshafts stopped giving wayand I moved the links inboard. Does the 4 link really make a better situation than the 3 link?? I can fab that no prob. Thanx for all the help so far. I think the shock issue also has something to do with changing them outboard of the links. There is too much side angle now.

Last edited by STEELBREEZE; 07-13-2008 at 03:34 PM.