Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Project Berg Eater

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2008, 08:45 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Lapeer, just north of lake orion, right??
The Real Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2008, 09:41 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

how much torque you gonna have? since theres no gru seems like not a whole lot?
breitenbach14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 01:42 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootertrash View Post
augh DUDE's I got a whole dammm Basement crammed full of all kind's of lil what not's & do dad's "NOW" see what you've Done!?! I got my flashlight in my hand & hatlight turned on, But cover me, "I"M < GOING IN > Man, this is just what I've been waiting for too. just go for it Dude, and please keep us all posted too, and I won't copy this just as you are doing but, I had somewhat of the same Idea too Hmmm, He's really on to something here Guy's just keep watching to see how this is going to turn out . Just as I am too... Scoot'er: L.C.R.C
WOW thanks for the Enthusiasm! I am stoaked about the Idea'r too. I visited my buddy's whom you all know as the hand brothers and am buying jims txt super and may to the worm drive thing on it too More updates as soon as I get done working on the ol Samurai
Chris_The_Battery_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:32 AM   #24
Quarry Creeper

looks like it starting to come along, goodluck with the rest of the build
sbarnesvta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:58 AM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by braceysdad View Post
hey braceysdad when did u get those axl;es made, ive been folowing your thread but there was no update on it :-(

willing to give out some info on them. how they run and what-not....

and Chris, keep those gears in your head turning. i love the build it yourself rigs. too many people have the same setup when it comes to the AX-10, good to see some still like to think out of the box

Last edited by BuzzKilla; 08-15-2008 at 12:01 PM.
BuzzKilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 01:38 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

More Progress!!

She sits on her own. Got a better front wire support built, belly, and the rear all done. Not pretty but it's going to have to do until I validate it works well.

And might I add I LOVE TRAXXAS!!! Thanks again to Mitch, I spent like 7 bucks and had everything for my carrier bering. It was a VXL rear carrier, VXL rear stub shaft and x2 5x11 bearings. They may not be high end stuff, but they always have what I need and make great bashing parts/cars.

This is it thus far. But I am going to post more soon... Hopefully should have her done all except the dig in a couple hours

Old 08-17-2008, 01:41 PM   #27
20K Club

Why not just do the same to the rear as you did to the front? Clock the rear up and get rid of the damn driveshafts, give it a real shot at beating the Berg
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 04:25 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

More...

Cant remember what it's called, but the angle of the knuckles dont allow the inside tire to turn as tight as the outside tire. So by making this bracket and lining the mount up with the pivot point of the knuckle that helped eliminate most of it. Thanks to Jim Hand for showing me that;) I also made a little skid and rounded off the edges of the pinion to keep it from shaving down the worm....

Then I got all the electronics in, drove her around the parking lot, and when there is any force put on the wheels and tires, it stalls. Pushes the pinion away from the work. Aparently my idea'r of the ghetto U bolt failed. I can tighten the u-bolt and it helps, but makes the mesh too tight and the worm has a hard time spinning. So Back to the drawing board....

Old 08-18-2008, 08:21 PM   #29
ghetto fabulous newbie

You got me thinking for my Girlfriends AX10 build
yotachump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:51 PM   #30
RCC Addict

Default Loads / Speed / Mounts

Interesting idea. I'm watching.

Are you running dual motors, or connecting the drive shaft straight to the rear axle?
The axle will need to run through a carrier with a bearing. Upon wheel lockup, the worm gear is going to be still lifting up on the shaft gear, sideloading the diff pinion bearings.
Fab a beefy center carrier with a bearing around the shaft.

13:1 x 3:1(axial??) = 39:1 Won't she be fast with 6+cells?? Could run 4 sub-C's to start, maybe jump to a 75 or 85 turn motor.

Wheel lock could lift up or pull down and around that whole motor and mount. Where's the BEEF?

Sorry, it's easy for us up here in the 'nose bleed', 'cheap seats' to point out the weakness. I'll stop.

Interesting idea, run with it!!
sweli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 01:30 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweli View Post
Interesting idea. I'm watching.

Are you running dual motors, or connecting the drive shaft straight to the rear axle?
The axle will need to run through a carrier with a bearing. Upon wheel lockup, the worm gear is going to be still lifting up on the shaft gear, sideloading the diff pinion bearings.
Fab a beefy center carrier with a bearing around the shaft.

13:1 x 3:1(axial??) = 39:1 Won't she be fast with 6+cells?? Could run 4 sub-C's to start, maybe jump to a 75 or 85 turn motor.

Wheel lock could lift up or pull down and around that whole motor and mount. Where's the BEEF?

Sorry, it's easy for us up here in the 'nose bleed', 'cheap seats' to point out the weakness. I'll stop.

Interesting idea, run with it!!
Well yes I did have issues with the pinion moving. But alst the fact that its brass against hardened steel absorbed alot of energy aswell. So I am going to order a hardened steel worm and make a carrier at the other side of the gear on the pinion shaft and hopefully that will work.

Single motor. I am still wanting to see a shafty win That and I only had 1 worm lol. As far as speed goes... Were from the pacific northwest and love our wheel speed. The final out put at the drive shaft with the tranny was about 11.7:1 and I thought the axial reduction was 2.2ish to 1...
Old 08-19-2008, 11:42 AM   #32
ghetto fabulous newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_The_Battery_Man View Post
So I am going to order a hardened steel worm
From where?? I had a hard time finding some.
yotachump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 12:57 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

So let me get this straight. Your spending how much to beat a Berg?
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 02:26 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

I only have about 40 bucks into this build... Mainly I am using what I have laying around. So I am not spending hundreds... Plus I think if it works, it will be cooler than a berg. Although they're cool, I am not huge on off the shelf built crawlers...
Old 08-19-2008, 02:28 PM   #35
RCC Addict

At first this was not something I would imagine coming to fruition. Now though I am wanting to see it tear the crap outta something. I implore you on your tenacity.
O.C.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:06 AM   #36
Rock Stacker

did you manage to resolve your problems with the mesh and worm parting as i would like to do something similar with a tlt axel but dont whant to waist time on something that aint possble

thanx jase
j4s0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 12:01 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

That's pretty darn ingenious Chris, a torsion MOA with a drive shaft.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 04:09 PM   #38
Uli
Quarry Creeper

I really like your simple but effective knuckle mod. This steering is kickin´some serious butt.
Uli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:00 PM   #39

The fact that the worm gear effectively locks the axel when not spinning will give you insane brakes. I do wonder if it will dig better with the axle locked. Keep up the good work!
overkillphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:03 PM   #40
MODERHATER™

Good luck with that!
666 is offline   Reply With Quote