Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: EP's Spare AX10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2009, 04:06 PM   #21
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post

Ordered.
And boom, here they are. Well, they're already in the truck. I had an hour to kill at work so I put em in while I was there. Weird looking ring gear, it didn't have the smooth backside, it was like a crinkle cut french fry or whatever.

On flat ground, there's nothing to see. Holding the truck up in the air if the front tires rotate one full turn, the rears rotate about ~1/6 of a turn less.

Eh, we'll see what happens.

Bought a Robinson Racing Axial specific 93 tooth spur gear. Dumb that I had to cut off the three nubs on the spur gear holder to get it to work right. Got a hardened 16 tooth pinion to go with it. At the rear wheels I'm at a 44.71 final. Fronts are at... something a little numerically lower...

Batteries. Always a favorite of mine.

My favorite 3 cell doesn't quite clear the turned tire, and the Thunder Power lost it's power, it's about 4 years old. Always looking to try new things, I went small, and 2 cell. An Outrage 25C 800. 50C 40 amp burst should be good enough.

EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2009, 04:15 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Cory, is it healthy for your driveline to have different ratio f/r? what are the benfits? don't quite follow the logic on a shaftie rig, seems the front would be fighting with the rear through the tranny?
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 05:15 PM   #23
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartronicshn View Post
Cory, is it healthy for your driveline to have different ratio f/r?
Doubt it. But I'm on rocks! Not flat ground, so I don't know what will happen, don't care really.

Quote:
what are the benfits?
I dunno, Axial is soon releasing different gear sets, so I tried HS gears in front. One thing I've noticed just wheelin around the pad here is having a faster front tire speed reduces the load on the rear tires when climbing up a wall. That first transition, when it starts to go up the wall. It doesn't wad up as much maybe? The higher front wheelspeed pulls more than the rear tires push.

Tomorrow will be the first run on some rock.

Quote:
don't quite follow the logic on a shaftie rig, seems the front would be fighting with the rear through the tranny?
So?
Old 04-20-2009, 11:57 AM   #24
RCC Addict

good info on the gearing
jimbiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:12 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Any problems with fit of the HPI Gears in the axial cases or issues with the lockers (which are you using BTW)?

I had my parts list all made up to use them when the CDW 6mm came out (link to that post). But I drilled my Axial pinion shafts as a stop gap and haven't broken them yet. (Actually filed the Maxx pin on the drill press to get a tight fit into the pinion hole, no slop for wear/breakage).

Couldn't you achieve the same overdrive/underdrive effect with larger diameter tires front than rear, ie. Panthers & Claws or Rovers/Chisels and anything else?
Phatmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:57 PM   #26
MODERATOR™

Ooops, forgot to update this. The difference is subtle, and maybe not even noticeable really. The truck is just smooth as can be. It's a great rig. Ran three courses, or four maybe? And then some more after the comp, and it drives great, handles great, and works great.

So I tore it apart to build a DNA SSS... Though I plan to get some axles and rebuild this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbiss View Post
good info on the gearing
Cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatmac View Post
Any problems with fit of the HPI Gears in the axial cases or issues with the lockers (which are you using BTW)?
None. Bolted right up, and fit right in. I should maybe use a thin shim to take up a small amount of slop, as it has some fore/aft movement the other gears didn't, but I didn't, and it worked great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatmac View Post
Couldn't you achieve the same overdrive/underdrive effect with larger diameter tires front than rear, ie. Panthers & Claws or Rovers/Chisels and anything else?
I'm sure you could. Maybe figure out rollout differences and go from there?