Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Volt up, gear down?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2008, 05:39 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Volt up, gear down?

I've bumped the voltage on my AX-10 up to 9.9v (3S1P A123 pack) and now I'm having trouble with too much wheel speed. I've been advised to 'Volt up, gear down' by a friend of mine (he's stateside and he's a good mate who knows his onions) so I need to gear it down a bit to overcome the problem, it seems. It should also give me added torque, I guess?

The problem is I'm struggling a bit. I've been looking for a smaller pinion and/or a larger spur gear. The problem is they are 48 Pitch gears no the usual 32 Pitch that most electric r/c cars use.

I found a 12T pinion i n the UK, anything smaller I would have to source over there.

Just wondered if any of you folks knew which 48 Pitch Spur gears will fit an AX-10?

A fellow UKRCRC guy suggested Robinson Racing spur gears. Any idea of these fit?
BritCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2008, 06:11 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Any spur gear that has the "ball" holes in it will work. Kimbrough has gears that will work. You can run up to a 90T spur on a stock AX10 tranny.
Speedracer19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 06:22 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

And just so you know, almost all 1/10 scale electric cars are using 48pitch. Some of the touring cars are using as fine as 64 pitch. The 32pitch stuff is the 1/10 Nitro and the 1/8 conversions, and the Traxxas monster trucks, nitro and electric.

Robinson racing and Kimbrough both have great quality stuff that will get you through.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 06:50 AM   #4
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

You could certainly convert to 32p gears as well.

Sounds like your mate does know his onions
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 06:52 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

What exactly do you mean by 'ball' type holes? Do you have a picture of a typical example?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
You could certainly convert to 32p gears as well.
If they are not the 'common' type I'd rather not, I'm sure there is something out there that'll do it at 48dp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Sounds like your mate does know his onions
He does, and he's a nice guy with it

The spur gear thing is looking promising. Why can't you fit anything bigger than 90T on a stock Axial? Is the motor plate not 'big' enough to accommodate anything larger?
87T vs. 90T isn't that big a step on the spur side (as opposed to 14T -> 12T on a pinion which is, for example)

Last edited by BritCrawler; 08-26-2008 at 07:28 AM.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:51 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritCrawler View Post
Why can't you fit anything bigger than 90T on a stock Axial?
If you try to run anything larger you will run into a clearance issue between the spur and your driveshaft yoke.

Narly1
Narly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 07:55 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

"Ball" type is the kind of gear that you could put diff balls in, I.E. straight axle (Oval) or On-Road. the reason that you can only go up to 90T is the spur gear will hit the outdrive, unless you go with a aftermarket set of output shafts like the CDW's that are in the vendor section (yotachump A+).
Old 08-26-2008, 08:38 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

By 'ball' type I assume you mean these?

They are Kimbroughs.

Kimbrough only do an 89T and a 91T. I'll take a look and see if Robinson Racing do a 90T.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:48 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

If you still have good slow speed control and torque, I would leave it as is. Your extra wheel speed will help at times. If you have lost your slow speed throttle control and torque, you will have to gear down. You can get pinions down to 7 tooth if you don't want to change the spur gear.
chracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:34 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

This may be a dumb question, but what motor are you using?
XPLORx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:47 AM   #11
RCC Addict

also what radio.

my neighbors have 2 axials each, one ran on a Speky DX3 DX3.0 and one each ran with the nomadio react.
the units ran by the reacts have a much more linear flow when you first pull the trigger, that is to say they start out very slow and the motors speed up as you pull more trigger. the Speky drove units, are very tough to get moveing slow, when you give the trigger, just a small squeeze, they want to take off alot faster, usually sliding to the side or off a log bridge as the case may be.

you can try to slow down the take off speed (if this is what your issue is) by adjusting the Expo on the t/b channel, or slowind down the servo speed if your radio has this adjusments.
Timmahh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:02 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Integy 55T Motor, Sidewinder ESC, Acoms AM radio set. It's not a superb radio set, I'll admit, I am going to replace it with a DX-6.

My point is non of it has changed apart from the battery voltage, and now it's not as drivable as it was.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:27 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritCrawler View Post
By 'ball' type I assume you mean these?

They are Kimbroughs.

Kimbrough only do an 89T and a 91T. I'll take a look and see if Robinson Racing do a 90T.
That's them mate. That type of spur gear in 48P will work on the AX10 tranny with or with the slipper
Old 08-27-2008, 07:07 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Found out the HPI Wheely King uses 48DP spurs that fit half the HPI cars they make, so there's a good chance they will fit an Axial, maybe. The good thing is I have a WK also so I can pop the spur off and see if it fits the Axial.

Wish me luck
Old 08-27-2008, 12:49 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

No dice, the hole pattern on HPI ones is wrong. Rats...
Old 09-09-2008, 06:56 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

A few of you guys here probably already know about these but I thought I'd follow this thread up as I have some shiny new parts here from the USA.

Exhibit A:

This is a set of Hot Racing pinion gears, specifically designed with Rock Crawling in mind, in 48dp. As you can see they come colour coded and labelled from 12T down to 9T. I'm assuming that big round lump is a motor spacer to push the motor back in case the shank at the back doesn't clear the spur gear.

Pretty neat stuff, eh?

Exhibit B:

To go with it I have a Hot Racing 48dp 89T Spur Gear made in Aluminium.

I'll let yous guys know how it goes once I've fitted em tonight

If you are interested in them I got them from LiquidRC. Very quick service even overseas.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:47 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

I use an integy 55t with sidewinder, 11.1volt, geared at 87 spur 15 tooth pinion. Great combo. Good wheelspeed and enough torgue to break parts if I am careless.
CrawlinClodKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:39 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedracer19 View Post
Any spur gear that has the "ball" holes in it will work. Kimbrough has gears that will work. You can run up to a 90T spur on a stock AX10 tranny.
Funny cause I have a 93 on my stocker right now. But if you opened your yokes to much to fit the joint in then it will rub if you did it right then it'll work!

With more gear trust me it'll go nice and slow for you. I love my gear... more control and way more torque
PipeDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:44 PM   #19
Mic
Rock Crawler

This may be obvious but you do not have to drive wide open all the time. If it is to fast just give it less gas
Mic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 02:49 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

I did try moving the throttle curve on the ESC (CC Sidewinder) to make it a little less speed happy but the fine control I used ot have was all gone and I couldn't drive it nearly as well. Having the really low speed at low throttle suits my style better, I do have a blip set on my controlls so if I stick it all the way forwad it'll gimme a burst of wheel speed.

Something I noticed is now I am running metal to metal it's really loud and whiney. I greased the gears up well and checked the mesh using the old fashioned piece of paper trick. It all looks a-okay. Is the noise normal?

Also do you recommend a slipper clutch now I have a metal spur?