Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: brushless vs. holmes 7t

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2008, 08:31 AM   #21
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by toytech93 View Post
I ran a puller 7T with a 12 tooth pinion and I get 2 to 2.5 hrs with a 2200mah 3s lipo. Most consider the performance equal. I do like the sound of the brushless motor.
I seriously call BS.

What tranny? A 12t pinion in an R2 tranny is geared pretty dang low. That'll help some...but not that much. In my super (6 pounds) I'm running an Axial tranny,10t puller geared 18/81 running a 3 cell 2100 mah and get around 30 minutes just playing. While running the comps,I do good to get 2 courses out of it.

The 10t will net longer run times over the 7t providing the gearing and weights are the same. Just like a regular 540 can,higher wind counts net longer run time. Your lower gearing might help a touch,but not 2 hours worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedmales View Post
I guess I need to find out whats wrong with my car, I run the 7t, with 1600 lipo and get about 20 minutes.
Nothings wrong with your car. That run time sounds about right for that pack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedmales View Post
I checked mine, one thing I noticed is my 7t holds my truck like its a drag brake. I have the brakes turned off in the esc, and it still holds strong. I looked at the mesh and it has little to no play, but slides right off when its loose. The 7t has way more power and speed over the 55t motors, but way less run time.
As far as the drag brake effect,that is coming from the cobalt magnets in the puller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyb View Post
Yeah my 55t holds the truck in place.
With a regular ol' lathe motor and no drag brake...doubtfull. Put it on about a 65 degree slope,you'll have to chase it.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2008, 10:50 AM   #22
DMC
Rock Stacker

So in an apples to apples comparison the Novak BL (goat) and a 7t puller (with a CC MM) will have similar performance -- low speed torque and control as well as wheel speed (assuming identical battery pack and gearing) but the run time of the BL will be vastly superior?

Cost is pretty much a wash because really they aren't really that far off if you need to buy both an ESC and a motor. The difference is truly in the ability to significantly volt up the puller?

So can anyone definitively say that a Goat system (2s lipo) vs. CC MM or Sidewinder (3s lipo) with a 7T puller -- The puller will do the same on the low end but exceed the goat in top end power/speed at the cost of run time (Not considering 2p arrangements for sake of simplicity)?

I've driven a goat set-up but have not driven a puller so some guidance from those that have done both would be awesome.
DMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 12:20 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3WpH8C9qnM the lighter blue truck in the race is running a 7t on 3s with a pede tranny, the darker blue jconcepts truck is running a sensored brushless setup, can't remember if it was the novak or not, but it was supposed to be a 27t equivalent.

the pass in the air was pretty impressive.
Lushtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:54 PM   #24
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMC View Post
So in an apples to apples comparison the Novak BL (goat) and a 7t puller (with a CC MM) will have similar performance
Well,I've never driven the goat system so I can't speak from experience,but I can speak from what I've seen. Going with the Castle stuff,you'll get more options and tuning ability within the ESC....BIG plus IMHO. I also do believe the drag brake running a puller will be superior as well. Another BIG plus IMO.

Personally,I'll deal with shorter run times for more options and better performance. Pretty easy to carry a battery in your pocket,and just swap out if you wanna run a while without stopping to charge.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:19 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorman57 View Post

With a regular ol' lathe motor and no drag brake...doubtfull. Put it on about a 65 degree slope,you'll have to chase it.
Well maybe a well oiled/new lathe, I havent opened mine up since I bought it several years back, when 55t was just a lathe motor and cost 14 bucks, now they are relabeled as crawler motors and cost 30 bucks. The wheels do not turn at all without power input, I can climb up a wall and leave it there, I cant even physically turn the wheels. Probably time to cut the comm and a few comm drops I would guess, but it works just fine. I may go brushless soon though, I would like more wheel speed.
phillyb is offline   Reply With Quote