Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: vf dig or any other

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2008, 06:08 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default vf dig or any other

can any one tell me if theres a f dig that can drive,freeand lock and yes i looked but came up with zero unless i'm not looking for the right spot any help please thanks
flmudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2008, 06:14 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

the DNA dig is perfect. never misses a shift. also i think the ckrc dig does the same.

Last edited by smm_cbf; 09-03-2008 at 06:41 PM.
smm_cbf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:15 PM   #3
RCC Addict

yes
VF/DNA/BWD Dig Unit - How to set your EPA's
and fyi vf is now dna
NeXt559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:40 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

if you get a DNA dig i suggest having a full size servo to shift with. i mounted mine on the rear axle. to bad you couldn't see it during the GTG i got the dig in the mail the day after the gTG.
smm_cbf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:44 PM   #5
RCC Addict

You can also get a RC4WD R2 with disconnect and get a stronger transmission too. Almost all of the crawlers in my area use them with excellent results.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:59 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

thanks guys i'm going to ;look in to geting one or the other
flmudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:17 PM   #7

i need one of these as well, thanks for the info
dancomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:17 AM   #8
RCC Addict

IMO, dna dig is better than the R2 or R2d.
Da Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 08:15 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

I've been running the R2D for almost a year now, no complaints. I'm in the same area as AreCee and as he explains there's a lot of guys running the R2D here with much success, minimal failure.

I just purchased the DNA DIG, I could have made the R2D fit in my new CDW chassis but the AX10 trans with DNA DIG is a much better fit IMO. I'm anxious to try out the DNA DIG, I've heard very minimal complaints, I think both R2D and the DNA DIG are good products.
Ced RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 08:58 AM   #10
RCC Addict

I know there is another one made by Stage 3 Racing and it appears to be good. Oh wait, it is s copy of the VF/DNA, lol. Sorry had to.

Once you get the VF/DNA broken in it is a damn nice dig. I burnt up 1 225 when setting up, but my current one is flawless. Just gotta take the time to set it up right.
O.C.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 08:58 AM   #11
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

No dig unit is perfect. I own a R2D and it took RockSmith teflon bushings to make it work properly. The DNA dig has given me it's share of problems as well. The homemade digs tend to be better but ultimately wear out faster (IMO).

The R2D is an extremely strong transmission, but the slider output shaft rides on a bushing and gets sloppy rather quickly. You also must get a straight throw on the dig linkage or it will not disengage or reengage properly.

The DNA / VF has been pretty good. I bought both of my VF digs in the pre-order. Both needed work to make them work properly. It does add more weight up higher in the chassis though. I also highly recommend a full size servo instead of the micro servo. As with the R2D, a straight throw on the dig linkage is critical as well. Instead of a brass bushing like the R2D, it uses some type of plastic bushing for the output shaft to slide on. Both of my dig units were to tight and had to be sanded / filed for smoother movement. One had a bad drive cog right out of the box and the other had a bad internal out put shaft. After running one of the digs in multiple comps, the drive cog became loose. The small 3mm set screw was not enough to hold it into place. I ended up drilling and tapping both sides of the drive cog to 4mm and installed a set screw to each side.

I share this with you not to bash the company's but to inform you that nothing is perfect and both will need work to function properly. There are also a couple vendors working on new dig units. They are suppose to be stronger and more reliable.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:14 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
I share this with you not to bash the company's but to inform you that nothing is perfect and both will need work to function properly. There are also a couple vendors working on new dig units. They are suppose to be stronger and more reliable.
Good Stuff! Thank You
Ced RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:32 PM   #13
RCC Addict

I like the fact that you can get rebuild parts for both the R2 trans and dig plus the output shafts from the R2 are steel not aluminum as are all the gears. I was going to get the DNA but the all steel gear train sold me on the R2. So far it works great but as said before it takes a bit of work to set it up to shift correctly and I'm using a 3PK that is highly adjustable.

I'm going to look into those RockSmith bushings but so far a little Tamiya Anti-wear grease seems to do the trick.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:48 PM   #14

Default vf dig or any other

CKRC has one also.
Crawl It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 06:49 PM   #15

Picking up my dig tomarrow, went with the DNA. This will help my turning radius!
KastanPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 06:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post

i cant wait, i want one that will work for a long time with minimal RE adjustments
dancomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:01 PM   #17
Holdin my 40oz.

Default Precaution

Be sure take the time to properrly set it up or youll burn up servos quick. I used an extra servo horn without the dig attached to set the end points to where they needed to be based on the approx. position of the shifter then backd them off quite a bit, install the linkages and go back out till you hear it binding them back off until it stops and you'll be good, my 2 cents.
Ralphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:32 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Whats DNA ?

I need a DIG servo shorter than 1.5" tall BY TUESDAY ! , What do you guys recommend

I've heard HS 225 and 82
toy4crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 05:32 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

I have heard that the 225 will fit very well in most set ups....talk to Don at DNA he will steer you in the right direction! www.dna-rc.com

boost
boost_aholic97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:52 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

DNA is New name from VF their Design looks bullet proof , it may be on the large side, but there nothing I hate more than to have broken parts,especially ones you cannot trail fix.

Compared to what is out there, I say this will easily last 10 X longer

CKRC dig is really RC4wd unit, I see it lasting a decent time in a 2.2 but not a super or power brushless motors.

And that's my strong opinion
toy4crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote