Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Behind the axle steering

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2008, 11:21 AM   #1

Default Behind the axle steering

I was at a comp in Busse ill and i got hung up on my steering links. Pissed me off something feirce! A fellow had a home brewed behind the axle steering set up. It was very ingenious,but he used stock knuckles,and it wouldnt steer all the way. I carved out some hi steer knuckles and got it all to fit under my 4link. Messy,but highly functional. An alternative would be to offset the servo to one side and use a link to each knuckle,hopefully leaving the steering arm pointed down. There are probobly many other ways to skin this cat. Any ideas?

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/c...7/100_0742.jpg
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/c...7/100_0739.jpg
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/c...7/100_0741.jpg
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/c...7/100_0740.jpg
oicu812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2008, 12:05 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

This is my WK BTA steering

Here is my BTA video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1829ro0NMA
SnoopMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 12:14 PM   #3
MWRCA'er

Relocate your servo to the side.

http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/shop/ind...oducts_id=1187

I really like what you have though.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 12:48 PM   #4

Although the picture in the link doesn't show it-the steering arm will hit the lower link mount at full turn. They shaved it down to the inner bolt hole,but it isnt enough. Everything else looks great! In fact,i can see no reason not to run their upper plate and steering links. Just ditch their spacers,and run with the hi-steer knuckles i made. Does anyone offer a hi-steer knuckle yet? The wheely king axles don't appear to have any of these issues. Very straight forward!
Old 09-13-2008, 04:26 PM   #5
Custom Carbon Fiber

those steering blocks look pretty good for being 'carved out' and im surprised no ones come out with them already.

but you could do like the Berg guys and braze a bracket onto the rod then connect your servo to that, or do like Mnster recommended.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 08:09 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Very nice knuckles....have any more detailed pics? What grade alum did you machine them from?
Nice job

...btw, you don't happen to have an extra set you want to sell, do ya?
Trugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 08:31 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

oicu812: Question about someone making high-steer arm knuckles.

Harley's High Steer Knuckles

These are going to fit the AX-10 when they start making them. Yours high steer arms look awsome! If you decide to make these I would like to get a set.

Last edited by corkysk8; 09-13-2008 at 08:37 PM.
corkysk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 06:55 AM   #8

Default Warning

These actually aren't for-sale quality.After making my initial three sets(for our tiny wi. crew) i thought it wise to move the arm inward for less angle and more clearance.Looks like tcs has already got it right! I would hound that poor harley fellow untill he cranks out a production lot for all the hungry crawlers who need bta steering!I am not interested in production(spent years at a cnc shop). Now every day is something new for me,and i pray i never have to go back to that monotony! If you are looking at building bta steering,BE WARNED: you will have to remove a link mount to get full steering if everything else is stock! Not cool! Dont torture the poor fellow,but if 100 people told me they wanted a hi-steer knucle RIGHT NOW, and i was deciding what to tool up monday morning...Well you get the idea! Unless they have a better way i tooled two at a time mirrored out of a block of aluminum with a surprising amount of waste. Dont be shocked if they are a little spendy. I personally will be purchasing a set if they produce whats in the picture . (I LOVE red anodize(hint,hint). For now i think robbob has the answer for most people:chop it off and relocate with some form of solder.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:59 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the warning. I have already been running a bta setup for about 8 months now. Once again, awsome job on the knuckles.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:13 AM   #10

How did you solve the link mount clearance issue?
Old 09-14-2008, 08:48 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

ax-10 bta..wanna see more?

I was inspired by this design. It is a curved (bent to shape) T-Maxx link w/ a revo rod end and a Jato rod end. The shocks are mounted on TLT link mounts. The high steer knuckles looks like they will solve the loss of steering throw by clearing the axle link mounts.

Name:  DSC00154.JPG
Views: 1259
Size:  55.1 KB
Old 09-14-2008, 01:52 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

That is really nice work, If you don't want them I'll take them. If you were to move your link & shock inward, remove outside link/shock mount and make a bracket mounted from the two holes on top of the axle, extending down becoming your new inward located outside support for the link/shock this might give you the clearance that you need for the steering arm.
Just food for thought,
Eddy
Attached Images

eddy4753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 08:09 PM   #13

Wow!follow corkysk8's link.that was done with stockish parts and looks to make a full turn!Guess its doable!
Old 09-14-2008, 10:19 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Hey since ya liked my BTA steering so much when ya seen it at Busse Woods I hope you're gonna bring me a pair of them nice knuckles eh? lol Looks like ya got it figured out except for it hitting the bottom link mounts huh. You'll figure it out, i'm down to using one hand so I don't know if i'll have time to redo what I wanted to on my BTA set-up! See ya at the comp this coming Sat I hope!

Matt
bubbaracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:42 PM   #15

Mine dont hit,but i made some rather time consuming knuckles.If you follow the link in corksk8's post above,about half way down the page is a very succesfull bta set up using stock knuckles.A flathead screw through the link mounts and some liberal cutting,but succesful all the same.I will try this on another axial,and play with servo mount locations untill im happier than a pig in.....hey look!a puppy!