Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Ghetto Comp Rig Rebuild #1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2008, 09:43 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Ghetto Comp Rig Rebuild #1

The Ghetto Crawler started as a stock AX-10 that I wanted to prep for competition. I got some Rock Claws, did the comp tweaks, threw on a body that I thought would work bette than the Betty... and this was what it was dressed out like for the first comp.

Well it didn't make it to that comp. I chickened out once I got there and saw what the other guys were running. Better ESC's, motors and digs. So I went to work, installed a Rooster Crawler, built a dig, got a better body and entered my first comp like this...

I came in 19th out of 29. It was a blast with all the big names from the southeast. I knew I could do better. I rounded a stock wheel hex, so I needed some wheels. The tires were great, but Panthers were hitting the scene and all the winners that day were wearing them. My 55 turn lathe was fair, but weak when I needed the grunt. I busted a driveshaft after the comp and also tore off a rear lock out.

So the next round of mods included a 35T Handwound Holmes motor, some Panthers, MIP Driveshafts, STRC Straight Axles and some aluminum RC4WD wheels. I practiced with this setup alot, and eventually entered the next comp at Little Rock City decked out like this.

I made the top ten in this comp.

1.Joebruiser----------8
2.Badd--------------15
3.RXCrawler---------32
4.Gatekeeper--------42
5.Fish---------------58
6.Yukon-------------59
7.Rockcrawler-------72
8.Greg--------------72
9.Tyler--------------95
10.Harvo------------103

I couldn't believe it. I had already packed up for home when I found out and didn't even have a battery charged.

The Ghetto Rig must have been working great because I'm not much of a driver... so that got me charged up (pardon the pun) for some more mods.

And this is where the Ghetto Comp Rig is as of now.
MFM Black Widow Chassis
4 Link Front
FT Dig with MG645 Servo
Panthers
RC4WD Wheels
STRC Straight Axles
RC4WD Aluminum C's
Holmes 35T Handwound
Rooster Crawler
Futaba radio gear
and weighing in at a svelt 5 lbs.

Now I need a new lid. Thinking XC-1 or maybe just a Grappler. I'll try to get some action shots and videos posted soon. The Widow Chassis is working great after a little dialing in.

More to come ....
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2008, 09:52 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Congratulations and nice updates to the rig! Looks like you crawl with some good company that you can learn a lot from too.
dpdsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:08 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Yeah... cool thing is that all those guys are super nice too. Full of advice.... and plenty of other stuff too
Old 09-18-2008, 11:33 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
Yeah... cool thing is that all those guys are super nice too. Full of advice.... and plenty of other stuff too

It was good to meet you.
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 12:36 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Well it didn't make it to that comp. I chickened out once I got there and saw what the other guys were running. Better ESC's, motors and digs. So I went to work, installed a Rooster Crawler, built a dig, got a better body and entered my first comp like this...
You should have ran, I ran my first 3 comps with a stock Wheely King!

Nice rig man, looks like you put some work into her. For a body, I like my grappler alot.

This is "Stage Killah" is also pretty cool looking, though I'm not sure how it performs.
http://www.tcscrawlers.com/JConcepts...7-p-17065.html
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 03:54 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Update:

Finally got the MFM chassis dialed in the way I want it. It took some really soft springs and some really thick oil in the shocks though. I am sitting at 2.8 inches with Panthers on. A little less with these Claws. I removed a lot of weight from the wheels which balanced the chassis perfectly.

I love the new body because I didn't have to cut the heck out of it. It's a Stage Killa with the boatsides removed.

It has a new Hobbico digital servo too. That bad boy is strong!

It sidehills great, flexes smoothly, has hardly any twist, and floats a wheel over gaps predictably. I'm happy for now... or at least until I can get my hands on some Double D's.... I mean a Double D Chassis.

Old 10-11-2008, 03:56 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Awesome rig man. Like the beads.
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 12:51 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

i got the mfm chassis a couple weeks ago and it perfect for me but just broke my drive shafts and the shaft outa the tranny today..now i have a reason to buy mip's ....what shock r u running on urs i,imstill playm with the shocks and r those mips u hav cuz my stock ones keep popping off before they broke.
ENZLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 05:50 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENZLOW View Post
i got the mfm chassis a couple weeks ago and it perfect for me but just broke my drive shafts and the shaft outa the tranny today..now i have a reason to buy mip's ....what shock r u running on urs i,imstill playm with the shocks and r those mips u hav cuz my stock ones keep popping off before they broke.
My front drivshaft is an MIP. The rear shaft is a modified T-Maxx shaft. The shocks are Maxx shocks that are shorter than stock shocks and I have limited them even further. The rear springs are soft Maxx springs and the front springs (believe it or not) are off the New Bright Jeep Rubicon R/C that my son had. (they are very very soft) and perfect for my setup.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:07 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

thanks man will giv it a shot getn shafts this week and another lipo so i have 2 lipos oh no that would b 3 lipos lol
ENZLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 09:05 AM   #11

How do you like those wheels, Harvo? Do the rims easily get scratched?
supah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:45 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Great evolution! Nice rig, man.
cheesefart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 01:20 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by supah View Post
How do you like those wheels, Harvo? Do the rims easily get scratched?
The rims have never been touched... but the beadlock rings on the outside of the wheels get scratched up pretty bad. The inside rings are still pristine. If I ever want the new wheel look again, I can just put the inners on the outer of the wheel
Old 10-13-2008, 01:21 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepial View Post
Sweet build.I like your acton pics too...NICE!
Thanks!
Old 10-13-2008, 01:37 PM   #15
CBR
Rock Crawler

I like it! It was like watching "Pimp my Ride"!
Looks like you have made a very comp worthy rig.

Harvo, you have officially been PIMPED!

"Ghetto-Pimped!"

Last edited by CBR; 10-13-2008 at 01:45 PM. Reason: it was too PIMP!
CBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:31 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Took the Ghetto Rig to another comp. This one was the ETRC comp at Ocoee. I think there were 15 trucks and Ghetto came in 4th. May have placed better but I got impatient on the last gate of course two and blasted right into the finish gate marker .

I was beat by 2 Bergs and an Axial with a Demios Chassis.

I am still very pleased with the Widow Chassis.

Old 11-22-2008, 06:08 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

More Upgrades...

I got the big tire bug and ordered up some HB Rovers. Compared to the Claws they are huge. With no time testing them, I took them to a comp and blew it big time. My foam set up was all wrong and I was running the tires in the "wrong" direction. (they do work better one way vs. the other).

My biggest problem (that I didn't figure out until after the comp) was my suspension/chassis/ battery set up. I had replaced some hardware and tightened up some shock mounts before the comp and my shocks were binding against my chassis, limiting my travel. I solved this by using bigger offsets for the top of the shocks front and rear. Now Ghetto freely flexes again.

Also... the new 7cell pack was hitting the body on the 4 cell side. That was like a big bump stop too. A little trimming fixed that right up.

I have changed out my foam and straightened up the tires, and some testing has shown them to be much improved.

This shot was from the comp. See how the rear is lifting a tire already and ghetto isn't even flexed much. I don't like a ton of flex... but I like more than that!

Last edited by Harvo; 11-22-2008 at 06:11 AM.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:14 PM   #18

What is the actual tire size differance???
cvwindows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 04:55 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
...Can you explain your battery mounting setup? Looks like that'll do me in the meantime. Thanks!
Coldnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 01:52 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldnorth View Post
...Can you explain your battery mounting setup? Looks like that'll do me in the meantime. Thanks!
Looks like he just took the stock mount and pushed it forward so the rear holes monted on the front brace. Then he just let it rest on the servo.
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote