Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: JetDesigns BTA for stock knuckles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2008, 08:31 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default JetDesigns BTA for stock knuckles

Keep in mind this is just the prototype so its a little rough. Finished product will be water jet cut versus being milled and will include the BTA tierod, servo mount and spacers. Right now the limiting factor is the knuckle arms which I left long because without cvd's you risk cutting your axle shafts.

jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2008, 09:09 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Sweet i volunteer to test it out for you
juan916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:30 AM   #3
RCC Addict

nice
any clearence issues if you have a saddle pack on the axles?
NeXt559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:33 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeXt559 View Post
nice
any clearence issues if you have a saddle pack on the axles?

Currently not tested but, with a few design changes I can make sure there isnt. Im still VERY early in the process, this is the first version I came up with that actually worked well. Earlier versions either required to be on the otehr side of the shock or I didnt feel it would hold up to abuse.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:41 AM   #5
20K Club

We looked at doing a similar setup a little while ago. The problem with the setup is when you turn the wheels to the right it makes the effective lever arm almost go away. This throws most of the servo torque out the window. It isn't a bad setup if you have a ton of servo power but otherwise it is not ideal.

You can really see it in this picture:

Here are the rest of the pictures I took:

Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:01 AM   #6
Holdin my 40oz.

This may come across dumb but what are the benefits of the bta str.? I can kinda see that the str link may not get hung up on stuff but that doesnt seem to be that big of a prob . I guess i need to see a vid to show the benefits...
Ralphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 12:08 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Im working on different servo mounts... On the truck I have it on currently it works great but, its a 1.9 so doesnt take allot to steer it. I have another layout that will use the same tierod. I feel that the benifits of the BTA are well worth the hassel of figuring it out.

the bigest benifit of BTA is not having linkages in front of the axle to hurt your approach. With the linkage behind the axle and above the input I dont see it hanging up on anything.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:44 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboat View Post
Im working on different servo mounts... On the truck I have it on currently it works great but, its a 1.9 so doesnt take allot to steer it. I have another layout that will use the same tierod. I feel that the benifits of the BTA are well worth the hassel of figuring it out.

the bigest benifit of BTA is not having linkages in front of the axle to hurt your approach. With the linkage behind the axle and above the input I dont see it hanging up on anything.

exactly. The less stuff to get hooked on a rock ledge or lip the better.
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 07:50 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

2hrs of testing and it worked flawless!!! I need to do a little more work on the 1.9 rig and then it will be ready. Ill start the version for my 2.2 comp rig later today and hope to have these in production within a month. (already have plenty of testers)
Old 09-29-2008, 10:02 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

here are some pics of the final prototype version...

stock or aftermarket knuckles
4-link
no modifications needed

with cvd's you can shave the knuckles and increase the steering even more.

I hope to have pricing this week, and testing versions out after that.

Old 09-29-2008, 02:30 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Looks much better with the servo like that
SnoopMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:40 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Default high steer knuckles

are you producing those high steer knuckles yet????????????????????
willipmartinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:55 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by willipmartinni View Post
are you producing those high steer knuckles yet????????????????????
No highsteer knuckles at this point... with the BTA it really eliminates the need for it. If I trim off the end of the stock or ckrc knuckles I can turn so far that I start cutting into the axle shafts.

Last edited by jetboat; 09-30-2008 at 08:50 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:03 AM   #14
RCC Addict

I would suggest extending the servo plate on the other side to accomodate a lipo or other battery pack.
Skeeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:51 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeno View Post
I would suggest extending the servo plate on the other side to accomodate a lipo or other battery pack.
Suggested by a tester and I am looking into it for the finished product. I am a little concerned about weight if I extend it because the finished product doesnt have the lightening holes...
Old 09-30-2008, 11:15 AM   #16
RCC Addict

looks good
jimbiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 11:42 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Looks good Jeff......should work great!!!
silvr_tung_devl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:03 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Just thought I would give an update... I know its almost worthless without pics so bear with me.

The final 2 prototypes should be tested this weekend, look for 1 at crawlapalooza

The servo plate has been extended an additional 40mm to provide a mounting bracket for a lipo battery.

The Tie rod has been altered slightly to provide additional clearance and a better look. All min dimensions and mounting have been retained from the prototypes.

All plates and tierods are being cut from 1/8 5051 aluminum.

This will work with all stock and most aftermarket hubs/knuckles. As tested no changes were needed to any trucks (to date, with the exception of swapping the knuckles around). If you desire you can remove the outer hole on the knuckle and greatly increase your turning but, you risk cutting into your axles with your stub so this is at users discreation.

Production servo plates will not include the servo cooling vents or the additional lightening. This was done to reduce costs but, can be added for an additional $5.

Pricing has been set at $18 (free shipping) and will include 1 tie rod, 1 servo plate and 2 spacers. Preorders are being accepted at $16 each set for the first 20 preorders. Club orders of 10 or more will receive the $16 each price (have your club president contact me). All orders can be placed via paypal to ( jshirley78@hotmail.com ). There will be a vendor thread and a website once the production sets come in (expected to be about a 10 day wait).

I will try to get up pics of the final prototype version tonight... Just to give you an idea of the work that has went into these, I have designed and cut approx 10 different tie rod variations and 6 different servo plates.

ALL PARTS MADE IN THE USA!!!
Old 10-07-2008, 08:09 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

The new design looks MUCH better. The servo location is perfect!!
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 02:58 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

I just got one in to test for JetBoat and it looks like it will work great so far. USPS dorked up and ripped the package open while it was being shipped. All that was left was the servo plate. I went ahead and mounted it up today with a forward facing servo so that when my new tie rod comes in I am that much ahead of the game. The prototype that I got was cut nice. All the holes lined up perfect and it fit great. I run a Lipo pack from MaxAmps and it fits pretty well even without the extra 40MM that will be on the production version. That extra bit will add some stability to the pack that will help out. I can't wait to get the new tie rod in so I can actually set it up as a BTA. I love that this one adds the 4 link to the front. A lot of the ones that I have seen only work with a 3 link.

More updates to come after I get some testing done, and for any of you that will be at Crawlapalooza, come hit me up and take a peak at it. I should have the new part in the next day or two and I will be running it there.

Here are a few pics of the servo plate with stock linkage.

ElkySS is offline   Reply With Quote