Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: traxxas big bore shocks.......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2008, 12:27 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default traxxas big bore shocks.......

i'm going to be picking some of these up this week........how should i go about setting these up.......spring setups......oil....droop.....etc....i got an rtr but set up like the artr, with home aluminum 4 link set up front and rear, novak 55 turn motor with esc combo. any info would help... the stock shocks suck and im tire of popping caps. thanks everyone in advance.....
makahacrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2008, 01:17 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Hi, I've been running the big bores for a long time, they are a great shock. I have a couple emaxxs, so it was a easy decision. The length is shorter then the axial shock, and that works out really well as far as limiting the travel and lowering CG a bit.

Unless you're going to get the shocks standing up on end, droop is not the best way to go. I tried that with the shocks laid back and they were unpredictable and are terrible dealing with torque twist. The stock chassis doesn't really allow you to get the shock mounted vertical. I'm running 1000wt mugen diff oil in them, and hpi yellow springs in the front and stock axial springs in the rear. It has worked really well. They're dampened really well and they unload pretty predictably. BTW, I know 1000wt sounds like a lot, but it's not a linear mesurement of the viscocity vs. say like 80wt shock oil going up to 1000wt. I'm not sure of the difference, shock oil vs. diff oil, but it's more like 120wt shock oil, but seems to flow a bit more smoothly. anyhow, shock oil and diff oil are cheap, buy a couple few bottles and try them out to see what works best with your rig and driving style. Curious to see anyone else's input n this as well, always good to get more ideas!

Also, make sure to get some fuel line to use for mounting the shocks. The caps don't have a ball type rodend, just a hole. Here is a link to my current build and you can see what I mean. My new DMG

Rob

Last edited by rdtshaw; 10-16-2008 at 01:23 AM.
rdtshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 07:02 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Location: siloam springs, home of the Mid West Challenge 2010

are the big bores the same size as the stock traxxas shocks for the maxx trucks? I have a set but they are not big bores. Thought I could run them till I can get to the lhs.
dustin keeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 08:41 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I used Big bores on my comp rig since i built it and love them. I use stock 2 hole pistons 20wt oil, Losi 1.8 white springs in the front and Losi 2.0 yellow springs in the rear.
JUSTGOINGSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 08:50 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTGOINGSLOW View Post
I used Big bores on my comp rig since i built it and love them. I use stock 2 hole pistons 20wt oil, Losi 1.8 white springs in the front and Losi 2.0 yellow springs in the rear.
I am with Just on this. I run a very close setup.

Fronts I run 20wt
Right rear 30wt
Left rear 50wt

instead of white all the way around I used yellow, but my rig is on the heavy side...

I have ran the same set for over a year, and now they are starting to leak. I have abused them and still no problems
Sinastir is offline   Reply With Quote