Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Which aftermarket driveshaft for AX10?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2008, 09:48 AM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Good choice, I'd say. Love the MIP shafts. I'm thinking of getting another set to put on the tuber crawler.
MrNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2008, 04:27 PM   #22
Rock Stacker

Im sure if i ran the maxx shaft i probably wouldn't have a problem and yes they are cheaper but you still have the plastic that comes into effect. I own a E-Maxx and T-Maxx and trust me, i have broken plenty of shafts on both. The only way i fixed the problem on them was going to metal driveshafts and axles.
chvy4wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:49 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

You gotta have a weak spot somewhere. Something is GOING to break, so personally I'd rather have the drive shafts pop. That's an easy repair, or an easy preventative maintenance job. You don't need to open up the tranny or axles to replace parts. Plus plastic shafts are cheap and come in bulk packs if you get the Traxxas shafts. So, I say just stick with either the stock Axial ones, or get some Traxxas shafts. BUT if you HAVE to get shafts, I'd say get the MIP ones. The part that will break with the MIP ones are the cross pin in the joint. So I'd get some spares of those as well and keep them in your tool box. Plus the MIP one's are rebuildable if needed.
OGmicromonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:23 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

I keep some new e-maxx shocks in my tool kit just in case, but I've been running MIPs since May and I haven't had to give them one second of attention besides using CA glue to lock the set screw in place. They were by far the best upgrade I spent money on for my comp rig.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:47 PM   #25
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGmicromonster View Post
The part that will break with the MIP ones are the cross pin in the joint. So I'd get some spares of those as well and keep them in your tool box. Plus the MIP one's are rebuildable if needed.
an easy an extremly inexpensive way to remedy cross pins would be to replace them w/ a similar diameter piece of piano wire

two dollars for a 3 ft piece that will last you a life time. ive also done this for my mip cvd's and have yet to bend or break the piano wire. this stuff is really really really strong. (really) dont even try to cut them w/ pliers or wire cutters your not going to get anywhere and you're going to end up w/ bent and dull cutting surface. i'd recomend using a dremel cutoff wheel designed for cutting metal. ive tried to cut the one for my drive shafts w/ the standard #50 wheels and the wheel either cracked and broke or worn down to a to less than a quarter inch in diameter and had to swap out the worn disk for a new one.
*i actually went through 4 disks before i could make the complete cut
NeXt559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:59 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

Wow I don't know what you guys are doing to break or bend the cross pins in either the driveshafts or the cvds I have had no problems.
axman2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:11 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

x2
i would rather throw a shaft than spin the output off the tranny..
and yes its been done...
traxxas shafts are cheap replacment. a great weak link persay...
since i went to a traxxas shaft i have not throwen any..
twisted some after some time....

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGmicromonster View Post
You gotta have a weak spot somewhere. Something is GOING to break, so personally I'd rather have the drive shafts pop. That's an easy repair, or an easy preventative maintenance job. You don't need to open up the tranny or axles to replace parts. Plus plastic shafts are cheap and come in bulk packs if you get the Traxxas shafts. So, I say just stick with either the stock Axial ones, or get some Traxxas shafts. BUT if you HAVE to get shafts, I'd say get the MIP ones. The part that will break with the MIP ones are the cross pin in the joint. So I'd get some spares of those as well and keep them in your tool box. Plus the MIP one's are rebuildable if needed.
roksloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:22 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

MIP's also has a shorter rear shaft available for dig...No cutting...Not sure if they have the complete set with a short rear.
Jeepial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:42 PM   #29
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by axman2010 View Post
Wow I don't know what you guys are doing to break or bend the cross pins in either the driveshafts or the cvds I have had no problems.
actually i havent broken or bent any of my cross pins i just replaced them(before i even installed the parts) w/ piano wire for a little insurance
NeXt559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:12 AM   #30
RCC Addict

thundertech racing has the combo dig set for 55.00 on their site. 32.00 for the short shaft. the more i think about it, the more im liking the Tmaxx/Revo drives.

like has been mentioned above. great weak point. I ll be running one crawler mostly stock and one with a dig and brushless setup. im thinking the MIPs would be bulletproof, but then my trans or another harder to change part will take the abuse.

i can fix a shaft in about 3 minutes.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 03:58 AM   #31

I got the MIP on my both Axials and no problems with them .

And the rocks here in southern France aren't friendly at all !!!
viking06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:11 AM   #32
Rock Stacker

does anybody have part numbers for the traxxas shafts i keep hearing about.
what do you have to do to get them to work?.
i've tried the maxx shafts but the yokes(#27x) will twist when i go to tighen up the set screw.
needless to say i'm about ready to sell this damn thing.
non ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:59 AM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeXt559 View Post
actually i havent broken or bent any of my cross pins i just replaced them(before i even installed the parts) w/ piano wire for a little insurance
where can one find or get piano wire...............bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 11:10 AM   #34
Pebble Pounder

MIP's all the way ! I've been running them with no dig since I built my Scorpion. I have a shorter MIP by Thundertech on the way as I'll be installing a DNA dig after Christmas.
These shafts are bulletproof
Archer414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 05:22 PM   #35
Rock Stacker

oh'well i'm not spending $50+ on driveshafts. looks like i need stampede shafts instead of t-maxx. thanks though.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:59 PM   #36

Talking

The MIP shafts are 100% bullit proof. But if You are running a dig you should get the dig version of them so you don't have to cut and weld them a big pain in the ass. I Broke the stock drive lines the first day I hade my AX10 and went to the hobbie shop and bought them haven't broke yet and never will.
HRT5SLCFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 11:03 PM   #37
"HOLLYWOOD"

What about Punisher shaft's, those things look nuke proof ?
Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 08:00 AM   #38
Rock Stacker

ya and the punishers are $80 a pair.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:02 AM   #39
"HOLLYWOOD"

I firgured they were looking for the best, if you have the money why not?
I was looking into them and just wanted to see how most of the vet's felt about it, or is it not worth the money and your better off just getting some MIP one's.
Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 08:14 AM   #40
RCC Addict

The Punishers get "sloppy" after a while and can't be rebuilt. They are about twice as heavy as the MIP's also....
Cave Dave is offline   Reply With Quote