Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Attaching the links inboard?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2008, 07:19 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Attaching the links inboard?

I did a search and found a photo that showed the bottom links inboard on an AX-10. Unless the full kit AX-10 has a different bottom (skid) plate than my ARTR, it looks like all this person did was cut out the first link mounting hole in the bottom plate and some of the plate itself and move the link inboard with appropriate screw/nut hardware through the first side frame hole. Then they used a small pan head screw to keep the bottom plate attached to the side frame using the 'second' side frame/bottom plate mount hole...Have I got this right? If not, would someone please enlighten me...:-P
stevehof is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2008, 07:34 PM   #2
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehof View Post
I did a search and found a photo that showed the bottom links inboard on an AX-10. Unless the full kit AX-10 has a different bottom (skid) plate than my ARTR, it looks like all this person did was cut out the first link mounting hole in the bottom plate and some of the plate itself and move the link inboard with appropriate screw/nut hardware through the first side frame hole. Then they used a small pan head screw to keep the bottom plate attached to the side frame using the 'second' side frame/bottom plate mount hole...Have I got this right? If not, would someone please enlighten me...:-P
Your thinking right. I think you'll have to use the "3rd" hole for attaching the skid to the plates though. The middle hole will be cut off the skid if you open it up for a rod end.

Double triangulation is best IMO.

Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 10:36 PM   #3
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehof View Post
Yes that is a method that many have used.

I would suggest this though:

http://www.tcscrawlers.com/TCS-Crawl...n-p-16695.html

It includes all the hardware you need to move the links in at the axles and gives you a new Delrin skid which is much slicker than your stocker.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:39 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorman57 View Post
Your thinking right. I think you'll have to use the "3rd" hole for attaching the skid to the plates though. The middle hole will be cut off the skid if you open it up for a rod end.

Double triangulation is best IMO.

Is that a dig setup I see on the rear driveshaft? Is it homegrown? Looks interesting.
MtnBkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 05:51 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
Yes that is a method that many have used.

I would suggest this though:

http://www.tcscrawlers.com/TCS-Crawl...n-p-16695.html

It includes all the hardware you need to move the links in at the axles and gives you a new Delrin skid which is much slicker than your stocker.
Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions, I like this kit...it is on order...
stevehof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 07:19 AM   #6
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnBkr View Post
Is that a dig setup I see on the rear drive shaft? Is it homegrown? Looks interesting.
Yes,I had the coupler built for me a good while back and built the steel drive shaft on the axle side myself. It did work pretty good for a long time. I think something wore out or out of adjustment. I can't seem to get it working smoothly like it used to. I'm designing a new tranny mounted dig right now,so it'll be ditched before to long.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:48 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Yes,I had the coupler built for me a good while back and built the steel drive shaft on the axle side myself. It did work pretty good for a long time. I think something wore out or out of adjustment. I can't seem to get it working smoothly like it used to. I'm designing a new tranny mounted dig right now,so it'll be ditched before to long.
It looks pretty good. I like your chassis design as well.
MtnBkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:08 AM   #8
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnBkr View Post
It looks pretty good. I like your chassis design as well.

Thank you. I like this set up very well. I've tried mounting links inboard,parrellel and double triangulated. The double triangulated seems to work best for me.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:03 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

i have already moved my link in-board and works well only thing is i seem to have more "axle steering." is there any way to help stop this. it's not bad but i did notice it after i swaped it.
JaredVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:38 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

raptorman57 on your rig do you have spacers between the link and side plates?. i like the look of your double triangulation and would like to do that on mine.
non ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 02:08 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Location: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy

i did something similar buy cutting the stock trans skid and moving my links inboard ... don't know how to post a pic but have a pic of it on my my space page
DeweyCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 05:07 PM   #12
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by non ya View Post
raptorman57 on your rig do you have spacers between the link and side plates?. i like the look of your double triangulation and would like to do that on mine.

On the uppers? No,the rod ends are bolted straight to the plates.

Lowers? No,the bolts run through the plate,through the skid and then through the rod end.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:21 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

i'm surprised that no one has referred to this thread yet:

http://www.rccrawler.com/axialcompbuild.html

Narly1
Narly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:22 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
On the uppers? No,the rod ends are bolted straight to the plates.

Lowers? No,the bolts run through the plate,through the skid and then through the rod end.
ok thanks thats what i wanted to know. i'm like a kid waiting for christmas waiting to get mine.
non ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:52 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narly1 View Post
i'm surprised that no one has referred to this thread yet:

http://www.rccrawler.com/axialcompbuild.html

Narly1
I cut my plate like in that link and it works great. Great mod for free.
Foxracin is offline   Reply With Quote