Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: CKRC FT Dig help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2009, 11:43 AM   #1

Default CKRC FT Dig help.

Just wondering if anybody else has had the headache of installing the CKRC's FT Dig? Better instructions would have helped a lot! I'm new to crawlers, but I've been doing RC stuff since I was 8 (I'm 35 now) and I've never had a tougher build. After making several "mistakes" (where instructions would have helped), my out drive is now completely rounded off. I'm not running brushless, just a 55 turn. I had to do more mods then they described on the web instructions. I even had to grind down one side of the servo mount because they didn't supply a longer screw.

Just venting and bitching, but I would like to know if I'm alone here or have others had a similar experience? Thanks.
Jim1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2009, 03:02 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

A whole thread and review about that dig here

Enjoy
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 03:14 PM   #3
Custom Carbon Fiber

Harvo's thread has some great info in it.

it can be fustrating but with a little time and some adjusting this is a very durable Dig unit.

If your having problems with the outdrives, they will wear because its a hollow soft aluminum, then I would recommend these.

http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/shop/ind...oducts_id=1590

Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 05:07 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Don't complain. I didn't recieve ANY hardware or a servo mount.
tanmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 05:12 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

i finally got mine all figured out, but it isnt an easy install. i guess the only way the CKRC dig would be called easy is if you decided to purchase another and install it. my servo mount required some brute force and persuasion to install, but after it all it works fine. but i did upgrade to the cromoly outdrives, which i thought were advertised as a direct fit, but i had to file the outdrive down to 3mm to get it to work also
ajcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 06:22 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

talk about mission impossible. that was the hardest thing to figure out on my crawler. took me about a half hour just to figure out how damn thing went together "properly"
RobCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:15 AM   #7

Thanks everyone for making me feel a little less stupid. I'm still trying to decide if I should buy the chromemolly outputs from CKRC, or if I should just buy the RC4WD one from TCS that already has a new outdrive and looks like better bushings. Decisions, decisions.
Jim1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:26 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Once you get everything sorted out the dig works great, but it requires much elbow grease and a little cursing beneath one's breath to get it installed
tanmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:36 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

I didnt get the servo mount or linkage kit with mine I had to call the shop repeatedly until I got hold of someone to get it sorted out after that I did have to shim the 2 plates to keep it from binding but it does work very well now.
See65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 05:57 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Just get the chromoly out drives and you won't need to bother with it anymore.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:46 PM   #11

i just finished building my Ax10 and was thinking of doing this Dig kit but now im having second thoughts. Is it going to be more trouble than its worth? Does anyone have more pics of the install and the dig?
slvrf150fx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:36 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1019 View Post
Thanks everyone for making me feel a little less stupid. I'm still trying to decide if I should buy the chromemolly outputs from CKRC, or if I should just buy the RC4WD one from TCS that already has a new outdrive and looks like better bushings. Decisions, decisions.
I'm thinking maybe you should quit being a whiny baby poopy pants and git er done...LOL...Just kidding guys, this guys a friend of mine...His crawler has turned out SICK!! I only hope my crawler will turn out as nice as his...I think I'm gonna go with the DNA rear dig though, sounds like the one he's using is waaaaay to big a pain in the boom boom to install.
Shinobid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Just venting and bitching, but I would like to know if I'm alone here or have others had a similar experience? Thanks.
Jim, you are on par for this course. click and read, my post is #17 http://forums.thetoyz.com/index.php?showtopic=9497

I need a new out drive as well. Don't buy CKRC's. You see, CDW (see bottom link) used to make them for CKRC. But they found a cheaper maker. Cheaper maker uses cheaper materials. CKRC is unfortunately still using CDW's photo. RPP sells for CDW as well
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128092
Skin Krawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 12:13 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skin Krawler View Post
Jim, you are on par for this course. click and read, my post is #17 http://forums.thetoyz.com/index.php?showtopic=9497

I need a new out drive as well. Don't buy CKRC's. You see, CDW (see bottom link) used to make them for CKRC. But they found a cheaper maker. Cheaper maker uses cheaper materials. CKRC is unfortunately still using CDW's photo. RPP sells for CDW as well
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128092

Nice write ups. So without those green spacers, is the lock plate not tight enough? Are the allen screws too long or something? Also, is loctite recommended at all for any parts of the dig?
P1choco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 12:17 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

locktite anything that isnt supposed to move
RobCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 12:57 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Right on. I figured as much. I didn't see it mentioned but I might have missed it.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:29 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Yes the screws are too long and they will dig into the plastic tranny housing. The little green washers help with that.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:23 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Just wondering if anybody else has had the headache of installing the CKRC's FT Dig? Better instructions would have helped a lot! I'm new to crawlers, but I've been doing RC stuff since I was 8 (I'm 35 now) and I've never had a tougher build. After making several "mistakes" (where instructions would have helped), my out drive is now completely rounded off. I'm not running brushless, just a 55 turn. I had to do more mods then they described on the web instructions. I even had to grind down one side of the servo mount because they didn't supply a longer screw.

:-Pmaybe a little late now but my friend bought the FT dig and with the screwed up maching from factory etc, no instructions and no hardened steel output = more greif than its worth. Get the HR dig for $44
Install and run it! No phone calls or emails nessesary

The cromo outputs you will need with the FT dig are like $30. $14 more dollars and you get a kit with everything you need minus the instructions, and thats what this forum is for!

right?
Rocksolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:07 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
Yes the screws are too long and they will dig into the plastic tranny housing. The little green washers help with that.
Ahhh, thank you sir. That will save me some headache knowing that before hand. I guess I could trim the screws too.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:04 PM   #20

I think they are just grabbing screws from a central parts bin at the factory, because I have not seen one FT dig that has the same screws in CKRC's pictures! I put my post up on there product review. But they won't post it. They don't even post positive remarks. I hate to say it, but CKRC is gettin' shaddy.
Skin Krawler is offline   Reply With Quote