Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: 3 racing dig unit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2009, 08:40 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default 3 racing dig unit

new to rock crawling was wondering is anyone running the 3 racing dig unit? if so how does it work?
bajajam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2009, 08:48 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

See that lil word up there that says search click on it and type in 3 racing dig unit and hit enter.............several pages of info , read ...............................pretty easy huh.....................
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:12 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

yes i did that & there was alot of stuff on digg units but not one for the digg unit made by 3 racing. 3racing.com.hk
Old 03-05-2009, 09:26 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I too was once new so I'll help you as much as possible. the 3 racing dig is an unreliable piece of junk, there is another company called stage 3 racing that puts out a dig, and from what I've heard it's a solid, well built unit. DNA is another company that makes a very good dig unit, they are probably the most popular ones right now, but have read about some operating issues with them. HR makes a pretty nice dig unit, the only problem I have with that unit is you must have the stock battery tray installed for the servo to mount to. CKRC puts out a dig unit, but from what I've read on this forum, I would probably stay away from that one. TCS released a dig not long ago and from what i can tell it looks like a pretty solid unit, has a nice collar so little if any binding. These are of course just my opinions, I recommend you do some research on all the companies listed above and come to your own conclusion, there is a wealth of info on this site, use it wisely
sub-zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:30 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

cool thanks for the info bro. i will check out those other units.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:31 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Ok I was a bit brash. I have a dna dig... There were a few issues with a few of the pcs not being made properly...The guys at dna hooked me up with all new internals.. Once set up the work great. It just takes some effort to get it right.

I still suggest reading. Check out the reviews from each. There are some that refuse to buy from them due to unprofessional business tactics.... But thats another thread...
Old 03-05-2009, 09:33 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

thanks
Old 03-05-2009, 09:46 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub-zero View Post
I too was once new so I'll help you as much as possible. the 3 racing dig is an unreliable piece of junk, there is another company called stage 3 racing that puts out a dig, and from what I've heard it's a solid, well built unit. DNA is another company that makes a very good dig unit, they are probably the most popular ones right now, but have read about some operating issues with them. HR makes a pretty nice dig unit, the only problem I have with that unit is you must have the stock battery tray installed for the servo to mount to. CKRC puts out a dig unit, but from what I've read on this forum, I would probably stay away from that one. TCS released a dig not long ago and from what i can tell it looks like a pretty solid unit, has a nice collar so little if any binding. These are of course just my opinions, I recommend you do some research on all the companies listed above and come to your own conclusion, there is a wealth of info on this site, use it wisely

You're the first one I have seen to have that negative of a comment on the 3Racing dig. Everyone I have have talked to say it is a good dig and that it is easy to set up.

What torque of servo is recommended for this guy?
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:51 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Im useing a 80 oz futaba i had laying around and it works fine with the dna. If everything is set up just right you could probable get away with a 50-60 oz... The better you get it set up the less torque you need. I could most likely use a 40 oz in mine now.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:54 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

As with any dig if it isnt moveing smoothly and binding you will need a bigger servo, to force it. Some digs tend to bind on inclines some dont. i think its more how its set up...Take the time to check each step along the way and make sure everything moves smoothly, if not find out why and fix it.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:23 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I have a couple Traxxas 2055s laying around, they are good for at least 80 oz of torque.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:42 AM   #12

I have a HR dig. Love it so far and im using a futaba s3003 servo. No issues as of yet
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:12 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Anyone who has this dig setup I am having problems with it sliding to lock & unlock it binds up if you had the same prob what did you do to fix it?? Thanks!!
sniders1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 03:13 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniders1975 View Post
Anyone who has this dig setup I am having problems with it sliding to lock & unlock it binds up if you had the same prob what did you do to fix it?? Thanks!!
I took the brass slider off mine.The one at the top,that runs along the silver bar.
ruffryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:55 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I have used several of the digs.

The CKRC I had a lot of problems with. Plus installation requires fabrication.

The DNA is a solid dig and their customer service is top notch.

I currently us a S3R dig and it works very well also. I am not sure of the customer service yet since I just installed it a few days ago and have not had issues yet. Except the full size servo bracket does not work on the SWX chassis. So I used the CKRC servo bracket. It works like a champ and looks good also.

I have heard the HR is very nice. They seem to make solid products overall.

I have heard the 3 racing one has some issues, but have not used one.
69CrazyHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:58 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69CrazyHorse View Post
I have used several of the digs.

The CKRC I had a lot of problems with. Plus installation requires fabrication.

The DNA is a solid dig and their customer service is top notch.

I currently us a S3R dig and it works very well also. I am not sure of the customer service yet since I just installed it a few days ago and have not had issues yet. Except the full size servo bracket does not work on the SWX chassis. So I used the CKRC servo bracket. It works like a champ and looks good also.

I have heard the HR is very nice. They seem to make solid products overall.

I have heard the 3 racing one has some issues, but have not used one.
I looking to get the S3R dig, what bracket from CKRC are you refering to, sounds like something I might need
Old 03-07-2009, 11:09 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Here is the link. I just mounted it to the top of the transmission. If you have trouble figuring out let me know and I can take some pictures or something. I stuck a 7955TG in it LOL oh well I had an extra one laying around.

http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/shop/ind...oducts_id=1175
Old 03-07-2009, 11:13 PM   #18
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

I don't think that servo will burn up anytime soon!
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:22 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69CrazyHorse View Post
Here is the link. I just mounted it to the top of the transmission. If you have trouble figuring out let me know and I can take some pictures or something. I stuck a 7955TG in it LOL oh well I had an extra one laying around.

http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/shop/ind...oducts_id=1175
That servo mount looks like what I'm looking for, but could you post some pics of your setup, so I can see how it looks with a S3R dig unit
Old 03-08-2009, 09:24 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Excuse the whole speed control and wiring mess. I just put the SWX chassis on and I have yet to fabricate a place to put my speed control. Here are the pics though.

Last edited by 69CrazyHorse; 03-08-2009 at 09:39 PM.