Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: stock ax-10, now what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2009, 06:43 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default stock ax-10, now what?

I built a stock ax10 kit and I been having a good time with it so far. Now I might want to upgrade it a little. What is a good upgrade with the chassis or suspension. I'm looking for something inexpensive, I don't want to pay hundreds of dollars for a major upgrade. Any tips or suggestions will help.

Thanks
JBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2009, 07:02 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Yep, the kit is fun to biuld (and the only option when I got mine )

Cheap Mods:
4-Link: I'd recommend converting to 4-link, you can get 4-link servo mounts for around $10 each.
Shocks/springs: recommend running about 10-15mm of fuel tubing in the shocks, you'll also want to get softer spings, around $10.
Tires: If you are going to compete, get new tires (not so cheap though at $40).

Here are a few things to start with. You might also want to look at getting shaft rings.

Hit the rocks, have fun!
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:23 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Ok thanks, I'm looking around on the CKRC website for the ckrc ax10 parts they have. I don't understand the difference from 3 to 4 link setups yet or what it does. Anything to make my ax10 more competition ready I am up for it.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:43 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBennett View Post
Ok thanks, I'm looking around on the CKRC website for the ckrc ax10 parts they have. I don't understand the difference from 3 to 4 link setups yet or what it does. Anything to make my ax10 more competition ready I am up for it.
take it out and beat the snot out of it; in the process take mental notes of all the behavior you like and dislike then read the treads to fix each thing. you have a star or GET A STAR so check the classified section and vendor section. IMO your first mechanical upgrade should be your frame. Then shocks. For now I would limit the shock travel with fuel line like Greatscott said. Most importantly, learn from others mistakes....most of them are posted here so read on, but first you have to beat it up your rig!
Rocksolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:01 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

def 4 link and shocks springs..
stubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:05 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

here is what i would do

use this thread after and post up what u've done
BuzzKilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:23 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

i know this may be out of your reach but i would recommend a swx chassis, big difference in performance , and limit your stock shocks with fuel tubing for now
BEN214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:18 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

anything under $125 is reasonable, is the swx chassis a good competitve upgrade and do I have to change anything else to install it?
Old 03-09-2009, 09:21 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

for your money the best bang for your buck is tires. or a good steering servo.
Mr.Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:30 PM   #10

Hey go to ckrc crawlers and get the stage 2 kit. Its $29.99 or $39.99 w/bent rear links.
crawler125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:40 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

everyone thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. I might go with that CKRC stage 2 upgrade kit with bent links and the swx chassis kit if that sounds good.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:57 PM   #12

That will be awesome.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:03 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

dont think the ckrc thing will work with the swx...
Mr.Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:04 PM   #14

I have a axial ax10 scorpion, If I want to make my machine sit lower will the droop shocks work, and how do I make them droop.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:21 PM   #15
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

What you really need to do is use the search button, and look at the build threads to determine what you want to do. There are many things you can do now with your AX10 that cost little, or you can spend thousands and have a full blown comp build. Search and learn, then decide.
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:27 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Upgrades I recommend

1. Losi Shocks about $64 at your LHS
2. SWX Chassis 69.99 at TCS
3. HB Rover (White Dot) Soft, Losi Rock Claws or Panthers $14 to $18 a pair
4. Mamba Max ESC look on ebay or the for sale section here
5. New Motor depending on model $17 to $60
6. 4 link. TCS Boomerang is $6.99 at TCS

These are not in any particular order. SWX chassis is a nice upgrade also buy some thread lock for the plastic shocks if you want to use them for a while. Tires and weights will make a big difference on how your rig handles on the rocks. 4 link will help alot with Torque twist. Mamba ESC is completely programmable which is a good feature. Losi shocks are a really good investment. a new motor such Banzai, Holmes Hobbies or Integy is a good upgrade later on down the road.

Last edited by treday619; 03-09-2009 at 10:34 PM.
treday619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:10 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Does anyone know when the SWX Chassis will be back in stock at TCS? I contacted them on the website but havent got an email back yet. They sell it for $69.99 which is the best price I found so far.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:51 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBennett View Post
Does anyone know when the SWX Chassis will be back in stock at TCS? I contacted them on the website but havent got an email back yet. They sell it for $69.99 which is the best price I found so far.
For questions like that if they don't email you back quick enough make a post under the TCS section of the Vendors section here. All of the ones listed are great vendors, and alot of times will reply to a question in their section even before they answer an email on it. Most of the time from what I've seen if TCS is out of something they don't stay out of it long though.
MCSCOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:56 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

ok thanks
Old 03-11-2009, 03:01 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Have you done anything to it yet? did you buy the kit or RTR.. or ARTR?

The first mod that ANYONE should do is to re-locate the battery to a lower spot. Usually this means that you will have to find a 6-8cell 2/3A split pack to mount on your front axle. Chris at the Chop shop can make you one for about $25, or you can make your own.

next would be tires. the stock tires are terrible, and you will notice a HUGE difference when/if you swap them.

I wouldn't worry about a chassis if you haven't been driving the rig for too long. I would learn the truck first. A 3-link is exactly like it sounds. There are 3 points on your axle that will stabilize it. A true 4-link will give your axle 4 points of stability. You know the Y-piece that connects to your axle? That will go away and each of those upper links will have it's own rod end so they can connect to the axle separately. Hope this helps, and please feel free to ask all the questions in the world. I look forward to seeing you at a get together or a comp in the future

Last edited by helhedded; 03-11-2009 at 03:04 PM.
helhedded is offline   Reply With Quote