Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Choosing A Tube Chassis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2009, 10:34 PM   #1

Default Choosing A Tube Chassis

Hi Guys (and Gals). Brand new to the forum. Not to RCs. My background is offroad racing (AE/Losi). Building my first crawler and it's the AX-10 kit. About 4 steps into the build process I realized I'm going to want a lot of upgrades, stopped everything and ordered many new hopup parts (coming tomorrow). So while I'm waiting on parts I started looking at bodies because the body that comes with it will never see the light of day. After much research I've decided to go for a tube chassis. I've read all the pros/cons on tube vs. body and know a tube chassis is not the best choice for serious comp. This truck will be used for "bashing" primarily. I hope to join a local crawler club so I may be doing the occasional comp but just for fun meaning if I don't win because I have a tube chassis it's not a big deal.

I've been lurking in the forums for weeks now without posting and have built a little list.

- Copperhead Comp Chassis
- Proline Tuber Cage
- Warthog Comp
- Warthog Pro Comp
- TCS Eclipse
- TCS Edge
- DMG (not sure it's available for AX10)
- Fat K9

I'm sure there are more, that's just what I've found so far. My criteria since this is a basher with occasionaly (light/club level) comp is looks and since I'm a complete newbie to crawlers it has to be 100% bolt-on with very minimal fabrication needed.

So the question is (and let's assume money is no object) which would you guys feel is the best in terms of bashing with light/club level comp as well as ease of installation?

I'm a member of many other forums and know newbs can take some heat. Yes, I've used the search button and have read nearly everything I can. Just don't have the right answer in terms of ease of install and what everyones opinion would be with my criteria. Please be kind. Thanks much for an awesome forum!
Cherokee-SRT8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2009, 10:43 PM   #2

I am biased and not so knowledgeable, but I run the Edge and I love it. Its a great chassis and is very easy on the wallet. I haven't fooled with other tubers but I know the edge is very simple to install to. good luck
zackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:43 PM   #3

i have the proline tuber cage and it bolts on very easily no fab. just four boltsand done. very simple. so far i like mine the issues are with the battery.if its under the tray it seems to high. a saddle pack or lipo but i run a standard six cell and it does fine for me.
384crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:48 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

newb here to but been looking at tube chassis too. have it narowed down to the eclipse or the bastard jr. eclipse looks more of a bolt on with shorter shocks theres a build thread on it some were. the bastard looks to be more tuneable. every once in a while ill see tubers in the for sale section. ive done 2 local comps with a stock chassis and the mods listed here http://www.rccrawler.com/axialcompbuild.html .took 6th and a 7th agenst moa trucks and trucks with dig. true there were only 10 of us but a lot of it is driver
jtrojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:51 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

warthog is a great chassis, purly build for comp so it definatly performs, but i am bias to any thing from DMG, he does amazing work and the chassis perform great! yes they do work with the ax-10 how ever depending on what you go with from the DMG its not a direct bolt on and u will need longer upper links but thats only like $18 the 90mm axial ones work perfect

heres mine bassed off the ax-10

Last edited by ultimate_monkey; 04-20-2009 at 10:54 PM.
ultimate_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:36 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I run the bastard jr. but have recently fallen in love with the new R2J Kustoms, V2.2 . Like the Edge, it is made of solid rod. (the Eclipse is tubing and not as strong) but has a lower profile and comes with Panels and a "delrin" skid. for the money, the R2J chassis is the cats meow. Direct replacement for the AX10 chassis and has better mounting location choices. Here's a pic, but check out the thread.
R2J KUSTOMS NEW V2.2 tuber build.
Attached Images

Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:32 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

just purchased an edge my self (TCS has em on sale), playing the waiting game now....

im in the same boat as you, not into comps and will prob never be in one, just like going out and crawling. i only bought a tuber for the look mainly, hell it looks like a 1:1 rig.

but play with the stock chassis to, it might work out for ya.
matt ellerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 04:21 PM   #8
pjr
Pebble Pounder

I have 2 Edge chassis' and a homebuilt tuber.One of my Edge chassis' is modified and the other is stock.As a Basher and rock racer I love them both but just to heavy for a comp chassis.You cant beat em for $50.I'd still love to build a Copperhead and a couple DMG rigs though
pjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 05:04 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

ROCKRIDER is a great basher and if setup right comp chassis

WARTHOG is a great comp chassis that is also strong enough for some bashing, good luck in your search for a tube chassis....P III
ol dirty dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 05:17 PM   #10
WWW.THEROXBOX.COM

WARTHOG HBZ Makes a great Tube Chassis.
There are a lot of great build threads on here for them also
The Eye is offline   Reply With Quote