Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: My Crawler so far - still can't figure out dig setup.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2009, 09:01 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default My Crawler so far - still can't figure out dig setup.

Hey Guys,

So I've finally got around to start up my crawler again- got a little side tracked. My problem is, that I can't figure out where to properly mount the Dig servo. I use a DX3 controller with the switch mod and 3p setup.

No matter what I try, the servo seems to move too much- thus I cannot get proper travel for the dig positions. The current dig positioning is only temporary until I figure out what to do. The servo was ziptied only, in order to provide a little movement. Right now it is only able to free wheel or 4wd. I can't lock the rear to actually dig. :?

Does anyone have any tips and or suggestions as to how I can get this dig setup dialed in?

From the way my current rig is setup, would you move anything to a different positon/area?

I plan to rewire everything, and get new foams for the tires. The stock Losi foams either suck or seem to be too small. I was looking to purchase the ace's doughnuts, are those any good?

Thanks!

Mudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2009, 09:54 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

The Black Widow is a narrow chassis, but you should still be able to mount the servo inboard.

The HRD does not require a high torque servo for engagement...50 to 80 oz/in should do the job as it's not a pressure plate set up. It also requires a bit of a break in period, so you may have to adjust your settings to compensate for that in the future.

My EPA/Travel settings on my DX3R 3rd channel are set at 63 (4wd) and 40 (locked) and the neutral point is free wheel.

It's also important to grease the HRD thoroughly and it helps to polish the shift pin as well.

EDIT: I'd also suggest ditching the 4 arm servo horn and trying the Dubro HD mini horns...I'm very pleased with mine...

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXD673&P=7

Here's the link to Gerame's set up thread for the HRD...

Eritex Inc's HRD 3.1 setup and tip thread

And a few snaps of my set up if it helps...

Last edited by CreepyCrawl; 08-24-2009 at 09:57 PM.
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:22 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Hi Creepy,

Thanks for the reply. I use the DX3 not the DX3R which is a different (better) controller. But from what I've read in the manual, the DX3 does not have travel adjust for the 3p channel (channel A)

I'm actually using the current servo for the Dig because it's what I have. and the servo horn is just being used to figure out how I need to set stuff up.

I definately need to buy some extra stuff though to properly mount the servo.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:49 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Hey Mud, remember me ser3100 (Erwin) from the Fontana DH races! I didnt know you were into crawling also! Cool! Im pretty sure this is the same mudman i met before. Your also on STR's website right. Hit me up sometime to either crawl or ride. Laters.
ser3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 03:20 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ser3100 View Post
Hey Mud, remember me ser3100 (Erwin) from the Fontana DH races! I didnt know you were into crawling also! Cool! Im pretty sure this is the same mudman i met before. Your also on STR's website right. Hit me up sometime to either crawl or ride. Laters.
Hey Erwin, Can't quite recall that far back. I haven't raced since my crash in late january.

But yeah, that's me. I'm the same Mudman that's on STR as well.
I'm on about 20 different forums to adress my hobbies- so your more than likely to see me on other forums as well (not always under Mudman though)
Old 08-28-2009, 01:05 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

No one else has any input? :?
Old 08-28-2009, 06:10 AM   #7
RCC Addict

If you don't have EPA on the third channel, you will need a "servo stretcher" from servocity.com. They are about $20. They allow endpoint adjustment. You may lose the 3 position switch ability though.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 05:06 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Hey guys, I finally got the dig figured out- thanks for the help and suggestions! I accidentally discovered that I can indeed adjust the epa for the very last position. But also ended throwing a servo saver in there for when it snags trying to shift between gears while stationary.
Old 09-06-2009, 06:09 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

If you ever want to inboard your servo for your dig, it fits inside the Black Widow side plate behind the dig. I used a standard servo mounting plate and drilled an extra hole in it to match a hole in the chassis. In this pic the dig servo is in the left and closest to you. It is straight in line with the dig and the weight is pretty low.

Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 02:29 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Thanks Harvo, I will try that. My current setup seems to work- so I'll leave it be for now. Gotta figure out my rediculous torque twist first! Some people were telling me to get the front overdrive.