Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you know someone with Autism?
Yes 134 67.34%
No 60 30.15%
What is Autism? 5 2.51%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Autism Awareness AX10 Build & Raffle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2009, 05:52 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Talking Autism Awareness AX10 Build & Raffle

The following build is in an effort to raise awareness for Autism. I truly hope that we accomplish this as well as raising some money to donate to Austism Speaks (http://www.autismspeaks.org/). 100% of the Profit from this raffle will go to this group. There are so many that have been diagnosed with autism, that it is hard to fathom to not know someone affected by this. This whole build was an idea of redjeeper, a 15 year old that is currently living with autism. My 2 year old Daughter, Emma, was diagnosed early on to be autistic. One of my friends daughters is also autistic. I have to admit, before Emma was born I had no clue what autism truly was, nor did it really affect me. Now that I have a child with autism it does affect me and I have come to realize how difficult it really can be for the people with autism as well as the people that love them. So when redjeeper started a Chit Chat thread on a possiblity of this build I was drawn to it and here we are. Please visit the Autism Speaks website for more info on autism. I want to thank all of the people that have donated parts and time to this build. I especially want to thank Brian of Brian's Bodies who will be painting a special body for this build!! He is also going to be painting me a body for my personal crawler as well. Also, Heath (The Cow) of CowRC is donating one of their great mats for the build!! When the build is done it will be a prize in the raffle as well!! 1 more good reason to buy a ticket!!

How the Raffle Will Work:
1. Anyone can enter. please PM Me for ticket purchase!!
2. All names will be put into a spreadsheet.
3. We will have a 3rd party either draw a number or use a random number generator to get the number. We will then post the member who won the crawler and any other member that wins the other prizes!
4. The winner will be responsible for all shipping costs. Prizes will be shipped UPS so that there are tracking numbers.
5. Remember that this is for a good cause and really, $5 is cheap if you win this crawler, even though it doesn't have the latest and greatest parts. The body alone is worth more then the $5 ticket cost.
6. This could be a great starter crawler for someone or a great basher. If you are a RC Newb and have nothing I will throw in some stuff to hopefully make it RTR as best as I can.
7. This build will be raffled off as-is. If we can't make it a complete RTR we will just raffle it as it sits.

With all of that said, on to the build.

Starting Basis: (if you have something better that you would like to donate to the build, please PM me) Any and all comments/suggestions welcomed!!

Axial Axles
VF Dig with HD internals
Stock Wheels wrapped in Rock Claws. Spare set of Panthers come with!
akrcc comp chassis
T-Maxx Shocks
Super Rooster ESC

Special thanks to all those that have helped with parts/donations: briansbodies, redrover, goodoldlevi, DarinM, DENNO, landon4, Krakker, redbaron, The Cow (CowRC), The Eye (Rox Box), MadForce, Del Monte, dmgriff266, 210solomon007 (ATi Performance), scale4x4, 929freak, rc_dirtslinger and everyone that has bought a ticket!!

Here is an image of the parts we have gotten so far!! there are also some small parts not pictured!!

Here is a link to check how much we have raised. as we get money ($20 Increments or more) I will be donating it to Autism Speaks so that everyone can see how much has been raised!!
http://givenow.autismspeaks.org/faf/...m=3619165&cj=Y

Raffle Prize List:
1. 2.2 Crawler that is being built (custom body from brian at briansbodies. YOU get to choose the body and paint scheme!!!! )
2. CowRC Mini Mat
3. Autism Awareness Magnet
4. Small Autism Awareness Sticker
5. Kamikaze 4.0 chassis (used)
6. Moo Slick from CowRC
7. Krawler Konceptz set of their Kustom Plates of your choosing!!
8. Krawler Konceptz set of their Kustom Plates of your choosing!!

MODS: Please PM me if there are any questions or concerns with this. Thank you!

Last edited by weck; 02-11-2010 at 11:55 AM.
weck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-2009, 05:54 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

A little more info on Autism:

What is Autism?
Autism is a general term used to describe a group of complex developmental brain disorders known as Pervasive Developmental Disorders (PDD). The other pervasive developmental disorders are PDD-NOS (Pervasive Developmental Disorder – Not
Otherwise Specified), Asperger's Syndrome, Rett Syndrome and Childhood Disintegrative Disorder. Many parents and professionals refer to this group as Autism Spectrum Disorders.

How common is Autism?
Today, it is estimated that one in every 150 children is diagnosed with autism, making it more common than childhood cancer, juvenile diabetes and pediatric AIDS combined. An estimated 1.5 million individuals in the U.S. and tens of millions worldwide are affected by autism. Government statistics suggest the prevalence rate of autism is increasing 10-17 percent annually. There is not established explanation for this increase, although improved diagnosis and environmental influences are two reasons often considered. Studies suggest boys are more likely than girls to develop autism and receive the diagnosis three to four times more frequently. Current estimates are that in the United States alone, one out of 94 boys is diagnosed with autism.

What causes Autism?
The simple answer is we don't know. The vast majority of cases of autism are idiopathic, which means the cause is unknown.

The more complex answer is that just as there are different levels of severity and combinations of symptoms in autism, there are probably multiple causes. The best scientific evidence available to us today points toward a potential for various combinations of factors causing autism – multiple genetic components that may cause autism on their own or possibly when combined with exposure to as yet undetermined environmental factors. Timing of exposure during the child's development (before, during or after birth) may also play a role in the development or final presentation of the disorder.

A small number of cases can be linked to genetic disorders such as Fragile X, Tuberous Sclerosis, and Angelman's Syndrome, as well as exposure to environmental agents such as infectious ones (maternal rubella or cytomegalovirus) or chemical ones (thalidomide or valproate) during pregnancy.

There is a growing interest among researchers about the role of the functions and regulation of the immune system in autism – both within the body and the brain. Piecemeal evidence over the past 30 years suggests that autism may involve inflammation in the central nervous system. There is also emerging evidence from animal studies that illustrates how the immune system can influence behaviors related to autism. Autism Speaks is working to extend awareness and investigation of potential immunological issues to researchers outside the field of autism as well as those within the autism research community.
Old 12-25-2009, 06:21 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

This is Great! Cant Wait
bmx_ican92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 08:43 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

So today I got the Mini Mat in the mail from Heath at CowRC. All I can say is wow! It really isn't as small as you would think when it is named "mini mat". So right away I decided I better put it to use!! The front axle we got had been shaved of all posts, but came with a new housing. I took it all apart, inspected the pieces and cleaned/lubed the bearings and put fresh grease on the gears. Slapped it all back together and here are the pics. I will try to get some better ones later with more lighting.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:53 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Great job weck! I will be following this for sure.
MadForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 02:47 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Autism awareness and info (among others) is good. I'll support this action straight from my heart, and i know it is important, but i am sad, because at todays world people use too much words such as "retards" or something, instead of being liberal.
ErÄjOrMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 04:49 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Awesome! Glad to see this build started already. Can't wait to see the finished product and see how much money is raised.
redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 05:10 PM   #8

Very good idea to raise awareness and give to such a good organization!
kris1351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 08:43 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris1351 View Post
Very good idea to raise awareness and give to such a good organization!
Thanks! PM'd about your 5 tickets that you bought!! Thanks again!

Everyone, please feel free to purchase tickets at anytime. you do not need to wait!! If you have any questions or concerns please PM me. thanks.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:22 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Tonight I decided to look at the motor. Its a used 55t Integy motor. So I cleaned it with some Moo-Tor cleaner that was from CowRC. This stuff works GREAT!! I then checked the brushes and springs. re-oiled the bearings and unsoldered the crappy wires that were on it. It is now ready to install once we get the rest of the pieces!!

Old 12-27-2009, 08:20 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Awesome! Count me in, heading over to Paypal now.

I vote for a sticky!
nathanotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 08:34 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanotis View Post
Awesome! Count me in, heading over to Paypal now.

I vote for a sticky!
PM'd you your raffle ticket info.

We are up to $45 raised. you can go to the Autism Speaks page and check out the stats!!

http://givenow.autismspeaks.org/faf/...m=3619165&cj=Y
Old 12-29-2009, 07:19 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

We have added some more raffle prizes that were donated by Heath at CowRC!! Heath is a great guy with great products. I will be using his products throughout the build. Make sure to put some orders in to Heath and let him know what a great vendor he is!!
Old 12-30-2009, 07:32 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

A little more progress on this today. Today in the mail I got the tranny from The Eye, some axle parts from MadForce and tires from Del Monte.

So right away I decided to put the tranny together. I put the dig outputs on and then remembered I was waiting on some hardware that 210solomon007 is so graciously donating. So then I moved onto the axle where I am missing the bearings and rear lockouts as this will be the rear axle.

Anyone have rear lockouts with axle shafts and bearings they would be willing to donate??? Its for a great cause!!

Here are some pics:

We are at $50 raised so far!! Once we sell 3 more tickets we will forward the donations to Autism Speaks, as we did with the past donations from ticket sales!! Thanks for all the support guys!!
Old 12-31-2009, 01:09 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Thank you all so much you have no idea how proud this makes me feel to see an idea be so well loved! Thanks!
redjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 05:30 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Wow, this is great that you are doing this! Let me know if there is anything that we may be able to do to help...

-Jason
KrawlOff-Road.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:06 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

I got lots of new bearings I can send ya. Let me know what sizes and the quantity you need and I will look and see what I got!!!!
rc_dirtslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:43 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Just made my donation!
Great cause, Thanks for doing this great fundraiser!
raceplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 08:10 AM   #19

Default raffle

Subscribed and also added money as a gift you should be over the $50 mark now.

The thread choked me up.

I think about stuff like this all the time with my kids. I lost my sister to leukemia when we were young so it is always nice to see people looking out.

Congrats.
rbwdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:59 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

I'm sorry to here that rbwdriven
redjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autism, awesome, axial, bacon, raffle