Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: I know... Slipper clutch again!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2010, 08:01 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default I know... Slipper clutch again!!

I know all of us have gone over and over about the slipper, but I am having trouble and did quite a bit of reading and searching. I found a lot of ideas as to run or not run the slipper. I do want to keep mine, but I am not if its going to take dump in the slightest of challenges. is there a way to either score the slipper plates, and or do something to take away the wimpyness of the slipper and still keep it?
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2010, 08:19 PM   #2
Suck it up!

Either crank it down as tight as you can or ditch it. Its really not catastrophic as it sounds to run without one.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:30 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

The ARTR doesn't come with one. If it's causing you grief, get rid of it. You just have to watch out and take your finger off the go trigger if it starts to get bound up too tight.
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:35 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I don't run a slipper and no real "broken parts due to binding" to report If you just use common sense, it should be fine, we all know if all the tires are bound up the car isn't going anywhere and its going to cause problems...
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:06 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

My truck was a kit and did not come with a slipper. I run a Rooster with 45T at 8.4V (ran a 65T as well), the only breakage I normally have are drive shafts (Traxxas), but it is pretty rare. I've seen the peeps that have slippers have to take a repositions because they got into a tight spot and their slipper kept them from getting out of it.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:42 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I kept mine just tighten all the way ... never had a problem sence... Real easy fix...
RockGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:50 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockGarden View Post
I kept mine just tighten all the way ... never had a problem sence... Real easy fix...
Ditto, tightened all the way. it will slip in only the hardest of binds, but I usually dig to get out of those before the slipper gives.
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:20 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Either crank it down as tight as you can or ditch it. Its really not catastrophic as it sounds to run without one.
Rite on Duuuuuuuuuuude!

Slippers... Who needs 'em

Just make sure youve got strong driveshafts & Outputs
R/CMaxximus5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:53 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I have been running the slash slipper set up on my kids and it has worked great..the stock one always seemed to fail.
Gardetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:49 PM   #10
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R/CMaxximus5.0 View Post
Rite on Duuuuuuuuuuude!

Slippers... Who needs 'em

Just make sure youve got strong driveshafts & Outputs

Old 04-12-2010, 02:20 PM   #11
0 0

best way ive found out to set up a slipper is to hold the rear wheel in place on the ground. have the slipper tight enough so it will pick up the front with the throttle. when the truck hits your arm and the truck is in a bind the slipper starts slipping. make sure it will lift the front with full throttle stabs too.

but honestly like everyone has said. just crank it down tight.
romulus22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:42 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Default Sure, Just tighten the heck out of it.

I am not so much married to the slipper it is just simply there now but it is failing mostly since I put on some rovers. It appears that it is worn or semething is allowing it to slip to easily. I am thinking of a little drop of loctite between the slipper plates and a better tightening tool!! My wrench that came with my frog just aint cutting it!
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 04:54 PM   #13
RCC Addict

I accidentally got some WD-40 on my Slash's slipper clutch and it slipped like you wouldn't believe. I took it apart and cleaned it all up with some Awesome Cleaner (same as Simple Green), works perfect again

That being said, I've never had a problem with Axial's, so maybe something made it's way in or a little assembly grease got on the contact surface while it was being assembled, hell, maybe even finger oil.
Gimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 02:04 AM   #14

has anyone here ever had a problem with the stock axial transmission spinning out the middle gear? my buddy and i keep killing them like crazy stupid plastic! anyone know of any metal replacements?!?!
Streamcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 02:57 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamcrawler View Post
has anyone here ever had a problem with the stock axial transmission spinning out the middle gear? my buddy and i keep killing them like crazy stupid plastic! anyone know of any metal replacements?!?!
I have Integy metal gears in the tranny. They seem to be holding up well.

Jake
jr104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:06 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

You have three choices that I can see
1) ditch the slipper
2) run a slash slipper (which I'm currently doing one one of my rigs)
3) put a few drops of super glue on the slipper pads before assembly
allgm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:16 AM   #17

when you take it apart...take a nail file and sand the pads and the metal parts on the pad...should grab better without locking the system up
BIGJOHNSON18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:30 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

The slipper clutch is your friend. Thats what so many RC's use them. Can you run a RC with out one sure you can but you are taking a chance you will break parts with out one. I have a slipper in all of my RC's and very rarely have had it slip unless it was in a bind and that is when you want it to slip. Would you rather have it slip in a bind during a comp or break something in your tranny?
Grumpster1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:42 AM   #19
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpster1980 View Post
The slipper clutch is your friend. Thats what so many RC's use them. Can you run a RC with out one sure you can but you are taking a chance you will break parts with out one. I have a slipper in all of my RC's and very rarely have had it slip unless it was in a bind and that is when you want it to slip. Would you rather have it slip in a bind during a comp or break something in your tranny?
Slippers are great for rc's that get alot of shock load. Crawlers don't see near the amount of that as the go-fasts do. Neither of my rigs have slippers. The one that I comp with regularly is beefed up to prevent failure, the one that I bang around and test parts with is not. It has stock transmission gears, stock outputs, and untill recently, stock driveshafts. I don't drive it ham-fisted, so it doesn't break.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:49 AM   #20
RCC Addict

I did a bone head noob move when I first installed mine. Totally missed that step about removing the plastic. I think they should make that step much bolder! Anyway, I was slipping all the time with the plastic on. Once I peeled the plastic and stuck it to the plate, as directed, the slipper started working flawlessly. Every once and a while it slips. Usually only when my tire is completely bound up. I am sure I have paid for it many times over by now. Set up properly they seem to work great.

Wes
brazwewn is offline   Reply With Quote