Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Project: Ice AX

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2010, 11:30 PM   #21
RCC Addict

SK- Thanks man... I thought of that too but being a narrow chassis it really cuts down how much room I have between the links hitting the shocks and the shocks hitting the frame when I try put them in board. Also modding them makes them longer and they're already to long, I can limit them but being long means I need to lean them back even more... I may try getting the front uppers on the inside of the frame to make more room for the shock, flip them around so they bow the opposite way and try a skinnier shock. I'm hoping all that... if it works.... will give me just enough room to run the shocks inside the frame for more steering. Thanks for the advice though. I'll try it out and post pics of where things hit if they do. Ya the drag link is a great idea but it needs a little more engineering yet, a slight bend in it to clear the top plate better and give me better angles. I may extend it just a little further on the tie rod side so it changes less angle through the whole steering throw. It'll do for now till I get the truck rolling and my OCD decides to redo the front steering/shocks for the 5th time lol.

rc- As Gunnar mentioned it's in my first post, "JConcepts Rock steady single cab body". Thanks I like the look too... gives it a real sleek kinda look

Gunnar- Thanks! I think I'm gonna need a few body posts off you... I'll pm you in the morn to figure that out. I wanna keep it low profile and you're mounts are the best option!

RT- Thanks man.
PipeDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2010, 11:56 PM   #22
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

Yea, it is tough finding room for everything, Thats why on my latest build I'm using the Lunsford Ti uppers-skinny, light, and strong. If you don't mind some weight, some regular or stainless small diameter rod would suffice too. The slingshot is a nice low chassis, and it does require pretty short shocks to work properly. Wondering if some small diameter(MRC) short shock would fit better with it, with the proper springs of course. Everything so far is very nice

I'm sure some short bolts on the body mounts will be fine, let me know when you're ready.
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:34 AM   #23
RCC Addict

Thanks Gunnar! I've always looked up to your builds, so to have you compliment my build I feel pretty honored lol. I see things I should re-do but for the most part I'm pretty happy. Ya its tough that's for sure, narrow makes things just that much harder when the shocks need to go where the chassis is now lol, I'm worried with the shocks in-board they'll be to narrow up top and make it unstable but we'll have to wait and see... I was thinking I might try some SCX-10 shocks... my bro is a big scaler so I got lots kicking around I can try. MRC shocks are a definite idea too... good thinking thanks! I'll have to hit the LHS and see what they got and if they'll work... Been racking my brain for days whats small enough. You'll have a PM in a few min!
Old 08-26-2010, 08:34 PM   #24
RCC Addict

Doh my gf has the camera tonight and I think I figured out how to get my shocks in board more!

I gotta do a quick shock cap mod to some shocks and I'll try some more fitting after the weekend... Wish I had the camera to take some pics for you guys but I"m sure you've all had enough of my crap cell pics... You'll just have to wait.

If it works it'll give me full steering with out rubbing anything. I guess we'll find out later... Thanks to Gunnar for some helpful hints. I'll be sure to have the camera when I'm trying it out so you guys can see if it works or why it doesn't lol
Old 08-30-2010, 01:42 PM   #25
RCC Addict

Oh boy... Just got me a package from Underground crawlers.... Now I got a Fastback to put together for the gf too! To many things to do in not enough time! Thanks Juan!
Old 08-30-2010, 10:39 PM   #26
RCC Addict

BOOM! I got some smaller shocks inboard and the tires can turn fully in both directions without hitting anything! I'll need to run some internal springs but she'll work. I'll also need to limit the shocks a but that's a small price to pay. It'll still flex more then enough. Once again the GF had the camera in her bag at home so I'll have to take some pics in a couple days for you guys to see. Now I can finally get to work on those chassis braces I was gonna do a while ago.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:50 PM   #27
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PipeDreams View Post
BOOM! I got some smaller shocks inboard and the tires can turn fully in both directions without hitting anything! I'll need to run some internal springs but she'll work. I'll also need to limit the shocks a but that's a small price to pay. It'll still flex more then enough. Once again the GF had the camera in her bag at home so I'll have to take some pics in a couple days for you guys to see. Now I can finally get to work on those chassis braces I was gonna do a while ago.
Pics or it didn't happen.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:23 PM   #28
RCC Addict

Gunnar you da man! Got my body mounts today! Thanks big guy! I'd love to throw them on but this weekend I'm working on some bikes and stuff but hopefully I'll be done early and get a little time on the crawler this weekend.
Been looking around and reading and I really like DickyT rear 4-link mount. I may have to fab one of them up is Juan doesn't start making them ASAP lol. I'll likely run this truck as is for now and try it out on the FB when I get to that one after this. Lots of good stuff out there if you just look.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:54 AM   #29
RCC Addict

Sorry guys been crazy busy... 2 wedding last weekend and a local comp this weekend... Taking a few days to work on something else.... I'll be sure to post some pics soon!
Old 09-22-2010, 01:08 PM   #30
RCC Addict

Well this is kinda dumb but I got the FB together before the comp last weekend and had a great time with it... I'll do a build thread on that one soon. But at the comp I got to see an xr-10 go and man is that thing nutty. No way I can get the ice-ax to keep up to that so I have decided after coming this far to sell off my ice ax. I'm going all out with my FB in sporty and in the new year after all the aftermarket stuff has come out for the xr I'll be picking up a set of those axles and I'm sure Juan will have the moa FB version done by then. So I'll try and get some final pics of what I ended up with and post them but unfortunately that's all this build wrote. Keep an eye out for my FB build. Thanks for the help and support guys I appreciate all of it.

Last edited by PipeDreams; 09-22-2010 at 02:06 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:01 PM   #31
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PipeDreams View Post
Well it's kinda dumb but I got the FB together before the comp last weekend and had a great time with it... I'l do a build thread on that one soon. But at the comp I go to see an xr-10 go and man is that thing nutty. No way I can get the ice-ax to keep up to that so I have decided after coming this far to sell off my ice ax. I'm going all out with my FB in sporty and in the new year after all the aftermarket stuff has come out for the xr I'll be picking up a set of those axles and I'm sure Juan will have the moa FB version done by then. So I'll try and get some final pics of what I ended up with and post them but unfortunately that's all this build wrote. Keep an eye out for my FB build. Thanks for the help and support guys I appreciate all of it.
Boo!!!
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:08 PM   #32
RCC Addict

HA HA sorry scorp... I'll be sure to post pics of my final shock setup that seemed to work on the table but it will likely never see the rocks with me... Rather get out and wheel asap and this rig has taken long enough. nevermind the fact that it will never be able to keep up to an moa which are now getting more popular here... crawling here is a few years behind normally lol.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:04 PM   #33
RCC Addict

OK last few pics of how she sat before I took it apart.

The front shocks needed to be limited and have internal springs and this was the only way I managed to keep all the steering and not have the tires rub. There seems like a lot of room till you start flexing it out then the shocks get right up against the links and chassis.

Well that's all she wrote... thanks for tunning in and for all the advice. I'll try and get my Fastback build up ASAP.