Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Project: Ice AX

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2010, 02:46 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Project: Ice AX

Well I've been collecting parts for this build for a while and finally gonna put them together... I started a few months ago and was doing a build up on my local web site but I figure I'll share with you guys here! I had a narrowed stock chassis before this so I'm a huge fan of a narrow truck... Sooo I picked up a nice ridged aluminum Sling shot and narrowed it! Here's some pics and specs of where I'm at with this thing!

Aluminum sling shot
Narrowed to 55mm center skid
Revo GTR shocks (for now we'll see as time goes!)
Bent upper and lower delrin links (uppers may get replaced with straights)

Front diff has OD HD Gears, S3R locker, Axial CVD's with Gunnar pins , Axial clockable C's, VP Highsteer knuckles, Custom BTA for better drag link angles and 4-link, and a JR 8711.
Rear diff will have HD gears, S3R Locker, Axial Aluminum SA adapters and axles, DNA or TCS 4 link plate depending on tuning

All that will be fed by a HH 7T puller
Stock trans case, DNA HD motor plate, All steel internals, Hardened outdrives, VP dig with a 225 dig servo, and Of course MIP shafts.

That puller will be fed power through some Hyperion 35C 3S 1100Mah lipo, to a HH torque master ESC, and receive signal from my dx3r and receiver!

Power will make to the rock through 2 sets of Eritex Axial comp Heavy's in front and Berg Comp solids in the rear. Both sets of rims with 5.5" DD Nova's, one set wrapped with Sedona's and another with Rovers!

All gonna be nicely covered with a JConcepts Rock steady single cab body!

Some pics of where I'm at! Sorry... poor cell phone pics :(
Power train all setup just waiting on my Motor plate to show up.

Stock side plate

Cut to make room after narrowing the skid

Fits like a glove... had a servo horn on the dig servo and it clears with about enough room for a pc of paper!

Mock up

Goodies! enough to go non-stop!

So what do you guys think... think she'll do?
PipeDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2010, 02:49 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Looking good I think it should do well on the rocks...
abadk9420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:29 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Very nice start, I look forward to the build process
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 04:19 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Thanks guys! I shoulda snapped pics of all my parts but we've all seen what they look like lol... still a few things left to order like trans gears, rear hd gears, Front trans out put if I can't get the guy who sold me the Dig to send me the one it came with Not much that's for sure! Should be finishing up my front BTA plate this week some time so I can see how it will fit. Got a few chassis braces to make to help stiffen things up after cutting out the brace but all in all not much left just kinda throw it together! I'll be sure to keep you fellas up to date!
Old 08-06-2010, 03:57 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Well things kinda got sidetracked for me this year when my fiancée's father became terminally ill. But now things in life are kinda back on the up turn and I have more time to get back on this thing.... Got the itch the other day and took my stock sportsman rig out with some of the new rims and tires I had bought for this rig and I got a little excited! SO back at it now and should have a few more things to post in a few days.. I got some steering bta worked out but I'm not sure I'm sold on the setup yet... I'll post pics soon!
Old 08-16-2010, 02:26 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Looks nice, i had a ss , a couple chassis's back (ff-4/ fastback) it worked well. I bolted my dig servo on the other side of the dig mount, gives you about 3/16 inch more clearance.

Last edited by billj; 08-16-2010 at 02:28 PM.
billj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 03:46 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Thanks!

Ya that's a great idea.... I also have a fast back coming! I run a narrowed stock ax chassis as my sporty right now but I'll be swapping it out for the fastback once I get it! I can't wait to finish both these rigs.

Ok update time. Been trying to figure out how to get the most from my BTA setup... made my own front plate that's just mocked up not done yet.. I'll be sure to drill it out to lighten it up once I know where everything will fit.

Sedonas on 1" wide Eritex rims

Poor cell phone pics but here's some steering shots. (axial cvd's... Not rich like you 300 boys are lol)

Drag link goes to the center of the tie rod and just hits the plate when turned left. Gonna try a bent rod and move the drag link further down the tie rod to get better angles.

Last edited by PipeDreams; 08-16-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:50 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Looking good so far. I hope you have plans for bracing that chassis (both across the plates and where you made the cut)...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:42 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Your rig looks awesome can't wait to see it in action on the rocks!
dR. hOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:29 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Oh ya those are all just mock up pics... I got some delrin I can use and aluminum.... She's heavy enough I'll likely go for the delrin. The piece I cut out will for sure get braced back again with a custom brace likely from some aluminum plate... all in time lol... hard to work on it when it's not at my house lol.

Thanks guys you're definitely help to light the fire under my butt and get it done!
Old 08-17-2010, 07:00 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by PipeDreams View Post
Oh ya those are all just mock up pics... I got some delrin I can use and aluminum....
Ahh.....good deal. Get back to work!
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:27 AM   #12
RCC Addict

HA HA thanks... I should be working on it today! Plus good news I got a better camera I can now take pics with lol... now it won't look so ghetto. I'll keep you guys up to date!
Old 08-19-2010, 09:38 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

Thumbs up

well! weres the pics!
samuraikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:23 PM   #14
TSK
Shelf queen

I think you should get rid of the slipper clutch, run a brace over the motor front to rear, and use some delrin rod to brace the side plates (and you can run gunnar's nifty body postsoff of them)

that looks good though. Oh and order some of gunnar's pins for your cvd's.

Last edited by TSK; 08-20-2010 at 02:57 AM.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:12 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Well I got more done today but the camera wasn't around... I'll take pics tomorrow and post them up. Turns out I had to relieve the other side plate to make room for the dig linkage! Servo horn had room but the linkage and hardware didn't. No worries... I still have plans to brace side to side on the front and back as well as front to back to compensate for the bracing I cut out. These are still all mock up pics! Going to mount some electronics soon... Crawling season is going to be over in a few weeks here and I'd like to at least get it on the rocks a few times before it snows up here. So I may save some things to go back over and redo over winter. I already grabbed some pins off Gunnar but his body posts may be a good idea! I trimmed the body and had it sitting on it today... looks good! Thanks for the advice guys... I appreciate it all!

Last edited by PipeDreams; 08-19-2010 at 11:16 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:52 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Alright finally got a good camera to take some good pics. So here's some better shots of how it sat this morning.... I quickly realized it was a touch to high and to long... so after the pics were taken I went to work bringing it down a bit and shortening the wb to 12.5 on the dot compressed! If there's anything else you guys would like to see let me know... The chassis brace from side to side is temp until I get time to make some delrin ones. The front to back chassis braces will be next. Here's some pics for ya.

Now with the shocks compressed. I'm hoping to run some internal spring to help the tire rub a little easier until I can figure out how to get the shocks away from the tires. Being narrow the uppers hit on full compression but just touch when it articulates.

After all this I leaned the front shocks back one hole to bring the truck down as well as shortened the rear links to bring the wb to 12.5.... Why the rear you ask? For the sharp eyed viewers you'll see I used jato ends on one side of each rear to stretch it a bit but it came out a little long... ended up taking about 3/32 off each link and it brought me back to 12.5.

Still to come I'll get those front/back chassis braces done next, mount up some electronics, make some delrin cross braces to keep the weight/cog down, and I'd like to tinker more with the front end, hollow out my front battery plate, redo maybe my drag link and try to get my shocks out of the way of my tires. Hope these pics helped a little more.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:57 PM   #17
TSK
Shelf queen

I think you should try a shock cap mod and inboard the tops of the shocks in an attempt to gain more steering clearance. It's looking really good otherwise. I really like your BTA draglink.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:05 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

What body is that? It looks pretty killer
rcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:35 PM   #19
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcalhoun View Post
What body is that? It looks pretty killer
If you read the first post, he clearly states what the body is.
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:23 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
I really like your BTA draglink.
X2 Looks awsome man, Nice work
ram_tough is offline   Reply With Quote