Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: dig for stock Axial

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2010, 08:11 PM   #1

Default dig for stock Axial

My 11 year old son has an Axial RTR almost stock except for the aluminum steering and suspension links. He has 4 oz. weight in all 4 tires and a stick battery mounted on the front upper axle link, running Losi Rock Claws. This is his truck and he is responsible for maintenance and repairs (although I did buy him a 3 chanel radio and reciever as the axial radio was terrible). He has competed with a local club against the fathers and is quite competive.

I would like to purchase a dig unit for his birthday and have no clue what to buy. What ever I purchase it would need to be resonably priced, reliable, complete, and not damage any current components.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you
bubbubouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2010, 08:20 PM   #2
RCC Addict

So many options it's crazy! Eritex, and VP would top my list but I'm sure others will chime in with some cheaper and more affordable kits!
PipeDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:30 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

you might to check the classified on here there are a lot of dig units for sale on there
rockerrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:50 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

if you want to get him the latest and greatest that would be the vp dig(vanquish products) it costs somewhere in the $80 dollar range and you'll need a servo to run it or any dig.
for less money you could get him a dna dig if you look for solomon on here(drawing a blank on his full screen name i think it's solomon807) he was selling them for $35. I still run the dna dig and it's a good dig just not as fast or smooth i'm told as the vp dig.
just to offer my opinion....unless he's competing in a pro type class that requires dig to complete the courses and others are actually using dig, there are alot of upgrades that would make his crawler perform even better. Chassis, shocks, esc, lipo batteries.....
Digs are great and cool to use just putting my 2cents in. I run in sportsmans class with no dig allowed and really enjoy it.

It's cool that he's responsible for his rc and sounds like your a cool dad for supporting him in this hobby like you do.

Also if you get him a dig make sure you are careful with the set up. turn the 3rd channel endpoints all the way down and adjust up once its installed. it's easy to burn up servos on digs if they aren't adjusted properly.

Last edited by James003; 04-28-2010 at 08:52 PM.
James003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:16 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Get the VP DIG. I have one and works great.
SDheavymetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:46 PM   #6

The VP dig is the best. If you don't mind hang ups, then the dna will be fine. The dna also requires a higher tq servo (more money). The VP unit will work great with a cheap one.
masscwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:55 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Default DNA thoughts

I own a DNA and after a rocky start I like it fine. It is On the large side so putting it int ff4 was tough. I had to mod it. I also had to mod the servo mount. I am thinking that you will probably need to provide some serious help
for your son in setting this up as it was my toughest project so far.
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:03 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

+20,000 for the VP dig
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:25 AM   #9

James003
The local club competition is for fun, although we are new and dont know everyone so some may be involved in more serious competitions. ALmost everyone has a dig and he still finishes somewhere in the middle. I believe if my son had a dig he could run with the top guys.

This is great info. Are you guys saying the dig unit and the servo to operate it do not come as a set??

It is looking like the VP dig is going to be the winner. Anyone have any pics of one on an Axial.

RickM
I am happy to provide all the help he needs.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:55 AM   #10
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockerrc View Post
you might to check the classified on here there are a lot of dig units for sale on there
The classifieds won't help until he gets his post count up, or buys a star.

I would go with the VP as well. It requires a low torque servo so you don't have to run a full size (save some space and weight). You will have to get a servo for it though, since it does not come with one. You're looking at just over $100 when it's all said and done, but it's worth it.....very sound unit.

If you do go the mini-servo route, make sure you pick up the mini-servo mount with it since the VP comes with a standard size mount. This way he can start installing it as soon as he opens it up

Last edited by C*H*U*D; 04-29-2010 at 08:05 AM.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:10 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbubouy View Post
James003
The local club competition is for fun, although we are new and dont know everyone so some may be involved in more serious competitions. ALmost everyone has a dig and he still finishes somewhere in the middle. I believe if my son had a dig he could run with the top guys.

This is great info. Are you guys saying the dig unit and the servo to operate it do not come as a set??

It is looking like the VP dig is going to be the winner. Anyone have any pics of one on an Axial.

RickM
I am happy to provide all the help he needs.
All dig units require a servo and none of them come with one.

I just wanted to make sure they use dig so after your reply then yes I would definately go with a dig and it will for sure help him in the comps. I hope he starts kicking the old guys butts I love it when the young guys do good at the comps

If he has the stock chassis then mounting any dig will be much easier, and if he ever does get a new chassis there's always a way to get them digs installed. The VP dig is great and it's also smaller than the DNA and some other dig units. Good choice.

I've seen pics of people with the VP dig installed, just look through the axial section and you'll find some.

Last edited by James003; 04-29-2010 at 08:10 AM. Reason: more to say
James003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:42 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

VP dig for sure!
MexicanMarauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:01 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

If you're on a budget this is still a good reliable dig:

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=204553

Millions of threads about them and tons of people still run them.
MtnBkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:52 PM   #14

I've heard really good things about the VP dig. Also doesn't add any width to the transmission, so you should be able to fit it into any chassis the std transmission fits in.
slackman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 03:37 PM   #15

x2 in VP for dig. Don't forget you need to get a 3 channel radio with a 3 position 3rd channel to get the full use out of any dig!
MadDog986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 05:32 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

VP hands down
liverkiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:01 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Default I hope I did not offend you

I hope my comment about your needing to help your son was not taken the wrong way. The fact that you are into this with your son is a huge sign of your enjoyment of this with him and your love for him. My kids got me into this on my end so I respect you for it.

What I was suggesting was that the DNA Dig for me was a huge bugger to get setup and I burned through a 19 buck servo trying to set it up. I consider myself a fairly decent mechanic as I recently replaced a fuel pump on a powerstroke diesel and a detroit locker in the rear axle of a Defender 90 recently. Anyway once I got it right it was well worth it. The casing is a little large so if you are going to buy a narrower aftermarket chassis be prepared to grind away some with a dremel. To be honest, if you buy one here from Solomon for the money it is a fantastic value, but if you buy it form a store like I did for $80 I would go with a VP as it has more long term application, and the addiction is sure to have a more applying lined up for the future!
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:34 PM   #18

RickM
Absolutely no offense taken

MadDog986
We have a Traxxas TQ3 radio and reciever. Is that OK?

OK dont mix any words, a VP dig unit and what servo...make and model

Last edited by bubbubouy; 04-29-2010 at 08:30 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:28 PM   #19

I started with a Rc4wd R2d back in the day.. Now I have a VP hurtz dig, all i can say is Smooth Baby Smooth.... Nice Job VP!! Hey man if your son can keep up with the timers using dig now, that boy is gonna wreck Havoc on em when he gets the DIG installed..

Oh forgot.. I use a Hitech 645mg to actuate it, only servo i had laying around.. You sure can use something smaller thou..

Last edited by RockCrusha; 04-29-2010 at 08:34 PM.
RockCrusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:37 PM   #20
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbubouy View Post
OK dont mix any words, a VP dig unit and what servo...make and model

HiTec HS-225MG

This is a mini....you will need the mini servo mount that I listed earlier. I would not go with a full size servo on a VP.....no need to since it works with a very low torque servo.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote