Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: New Gatekeeper GC-3A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2011, 04:52 PM   #441
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROWDY RACING View Post
I could'nt really get a good shot of the issue. I will take it off and put a little more bend in it and all should be good. I guess it's made for a smaller battery, but I can't imagine one smaller than these 430mah's man they are tiny. They are 3s batteries maybe it's made for 2s, I don't know but after a little tweaking I think it will be fine.

I think it's because your running those big heavy MIP drivelines...
sourdojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2011, 05:01 PM   #442
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdojack View Post
I think it's because your running those big heavy MIP drivelines...
Could be, but I got tired of snapping plastic ones.
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:24 PM   #443
RCC Addict

Quote:
Could be, but I got tired of snapping plastic ones.
Yea it was made with pede shafts and a 500 batt. Supper light weight and mine is still holding together
Gatekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:26 PM   #444
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
Yea it was made with pede shafts and a 500 batt. Supper light weight and mine is still holding together
Those were what I was running, but after shearing a few of them I gave up and went with the MIPs. Are you running 3s?
Old 05-20-2011, 06:18 AM   #445
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Those were what I was running, but after shearing a few of them I gave up and went with the MIPs. Are you running 3s?
He runs 3s but he also has a really light rig. No dig, small battery etc.
J
jdawg53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:21 AM   #446
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I've run Pede shafts for 5 years and only twisted a few never broke any. The weight savings is huge compared to the MIP steel shafts, I run my AX-10 Moonbuggy some times on 4S packs without any problems. All those redundant never break parts add a lot of weight to your rig. I run mine at 5.5 lbs with a dig, a heavy rig will break more driveline parts.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:23 AM   #447
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
I've run Pede shafts for 5 years and only twisted a few never broke any. The weight savings is huge compared to the MIP steel shafts, I run my AX-10 Moonbuggy some times on 4S packs without any problems. All those redundant never break parts add a lot of weight to your rig. I run mine at 5.5 lbs with a dig, a heavy rig will break more driveline parts.
I must be too hard on my stuff, or maybe Brood 35t on 3s is too much, but pede shafts don't last for me.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:19 PM   #448
Rock Crawler

I run the Losi Comp Crawler drive shafts and they are perfect
sourdojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:05 PM   #449
Rock Crawler

I tried running the pede shafts when I first put mine together and went thru 3 or 4 of them in a short time. I have mips in mine now and Gatekeeper has ragged me ever since Mine is pretty light at 4lbs 12ozs but still tears the drive shafts out
greencrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:59 AM   #450
Rock Crawler

I've ran both Traxxas and MIP. I prefer to run the Traxxas, but there is something to say about confidence in your rigs durability in a tight situation.
J
Old 06-08-2011, 07:59 PM   #451
WAM
Rock Crawler

Rats...I got no self control. Only been in this game for a month, having just bought an RTC, and now I've got a CG-3A ordered for it and I haven't even got the stocker sorted yet.

I like the looks of a tuber, but I understand they're not in high favor these days. I put a wannabe tuber body (Proline) on my RTC. Kinda hoping I can just carve away everything except the tubes and somehow fit it to the GC. It's just plastic, so with most of it carved away I can't see it affecting the overhead weight too badly. Whaddya think? About the only other thing done to the RTC doner chassis is a set of Rovers with CI foams on weighted/vented stock wheels. Oh and a small 2S lipo I run on the 3-link lexan plate.

Obviously there are a lot of upgrade parts I'd like to have. But is there anything I have to buy just to get it up and running for Day 1? Or will all the RTC pieces get me started?
WAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:15 PM   #452
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAM View Post
Rats...I got no self control. Only been in this game for a month, having just bought an RTC, and now I've got a CG-3A ordered for it and I haven't even got the stocker sorted yet.

I like the looks of a tuber, but I understand they're not in high favor these days. I put a wannabe tuber body (Proline) on my RTC. Kinda hoping I can just carve away everything except the tubes and somehow fit it to the GC. It's just plastic, so with most of it carved away I can't see it affecting the overhead weight too badly. Whaddya think? About the only other thing done to the RTC doner chassis is a set of Rovers with CI foams on weighted/vented stock wheels. Oh and a small 2S lipo I run on the 3-link lexan plate.

Obviously there are a lot of upgrade parts I'd like to have. But is there anything I have to buy just to get it up and running for Day 1? Or will all the RTC pieces get me started?

Awesome! Congrats You will not be disappointed.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:21 PM   #453
Quarry Creeper

All you'll need to run are the tranny, axles, shafts, shocks, motor, and electronics. The GC-3A comes with everything else. In other words, you won't need to buy anything else if you already have the RTC.

I bet you could figure out a way to use the tube work. I don't know if it will be comp-legal though.
92PathSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:23 PM   #454
WAM
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
Awesome! Congrats You will not be disappointed.
Hey...it's all YOUR fault.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:25 PM   #455
WAM
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92PathSE View Post
I bet you could figure out a way to use the tube work. I don't know if it will be comp-legal though.
Really? I assumed I just needed to fit body panels (4 places) that met the required dimensions.

If not, I'll still have the RTC lexan body.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:26 PM   #456
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Hey...it's all YOUR fault.

LOL. Like I told you on the phone, it's either the GC3 chassis or the T1E AX-10 Moon Buggy chassis. IMO they are the two best on the market for the AX-10.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:31 AM   #457
WAM
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92PathSE View Post
All you'll need to run are the (RTC) tranny, axles, shafts, shocks, motor, and electronics.
Okay, what about shocks? I've gone through the thread twice and sorta came up with this:

4" shocks are marginally long and will get longer if you put the rod end on top. You might not need the rod end if you cushion the upper with rubber tubing over the bolt. Seems people have used AX10, AX10 comp, Losi, Traxxas Big Bores and Evader 4" shocks.

The original shock seems to have been the Evader 3.5". Can't tell if people went to 4" because they like it, or just because they're common.

Since I'm inexperienced, I want to start with a known good baseline. I don't mind buying shocks to get there. BTW, I have Losi gold and Axial black springs here. Are those too long to use with 3.5" shocks?
Old 06-09-2011, 11:35 AM   #458
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Okay, what about shocks? I've gone through the thread twice and sorta came up with this:

4" shocks are marginally long and will get longer if you put the rod end on top. You might not need the rod end if you cushion the upper with rubber tubing over the bolt. Seems people have used AX10, AX10 comp, Losi, Traxxas Big Bores and Evader 4" shocks.

The original shock seems to have been the Evader 3.5". Can't tell if people went to 4" because they like it, or just because they're common.

Since I'm inexperienced, I want to start with a known good baseline. I don't mind buying shocks to get there. BTW, I have Losi gold and Axial black springs here. Are those too long to use with 3.5" shocks?

The reason why I like the Evader shocks with the shock top mod is it allows the shock to move more freely when the suspension is articulated back and forth. There are other shocks out there like the Integy MSR11's that work well too and require no mods. I have those on one of my other GC3A's. I've used Losi and Axial, but just have not been as happy with them.
Traxxas big bores are nice too but would recommend the shock top mod on those as well.
I would start with the Axial blacks and experiment with what works best for you.

Last edited by jdawg53; 06-09-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:03 PM   #459
WAM
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawg53 View Post
The reason why I like the Evader shocks with the shock top mod is it allows the shock to move more freely when the suspension is articulated back and forth. There are other shocks out there like the Integy MSR11's that work well too and require no mods. I have those on one of my other GC3A's. I've used Losi and Axial, but just have not been as happy with them.
Traxxas big bores are nice too but would recommend the shock top mod on those as well.
I would start with the Axial blacks and experiment with what works best for you.
Thanks. Would you comment on 3.5" vs 4"? Or are there different holes so it doesn't matter.

What would you consider the GC-3A "out of the box" setup shock?
Old 06-09-2011, 02:51 PM   #460
Quarry Creeper

I'm using Evader 4" shocks with Losi gold springs and the shock cap mod. A 3.5" would work just as well, IMO.

I don't have the part numbers, but they should be in this thread somewhere.
92PathSE is offline   Reply With Quote