Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: An Evil Moonbuggy...errr...Rockshow SS?...Sportsman.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2011, 11:07 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default An Evil Moonbuggy...errr...Rockshow SS?...Sportsman.

Yes, that's right. If it wasn't bad enough that 3/4 of the rigs at our comps are Moonbuggys, here's one for the Sportsman class.

Spec list:
-T1e AX10 shafty chassis.
- Axial SCX-10 Axles w/ Axial CVD's, Axial Clockable C-Hubs, VP 0-Ackerman knuckles and over/under gearing.
- Losi 3 1/2" Crawler Shocks.
- Tekin FXR / 35t machine wound combo.
- Castle BEC
- JR DS8711 steering servo
- VP SLW wheels w/ Crawl Spec weight retainers and MTHead delrin beadlock rings

First, I started with my old 1st generation Chump based Sportsman.

I transferred over the running gear, making a few changes, in the process. For one, I couldn't run the transmission mirrored.
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y131/SeatPeople/Moonbuggy

Sportsman/IMG_3439.jpg[/IMG]

...and here we have a roller.

Last edited by EvilTwin v2; 11-17-2011 at 05:48 AM.
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2011, 11:20 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

On to the wiring...

Anymore, I like my wiring to be pretty clean, so I set upon shortening all of the wires and mounting and running the wires where they'd be out of the way.

First I started by tucking the antenna inside the RX, then mounting it and the ESC to the top of the electronics tray:

I mounted the BEC and routed the wires under the tray:

Then I mounted the electronics tray back on to the front servo/link plate:

Then mounted everything back onto the truck:

And now it's running again.

I still have to figure out an issue with the spur gear rubbing and make some skins, but other than that, it's ready to go.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:35 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Hot damn thats a sexy shafty. I love my moa version and this one looks super capable for a shaft truck. That looks like it was a cramfest to get your electronics so clean but worth the effort as it looks perfect. Have you thought about loosing a little bit of width on the front upper shock spacers? Looks like the tires wanna eat your shocks

Last edited by highlandcrawler; 07-31-2011 at 11:37 PM.
highlandcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:44 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Thanks!

The shocks will be something that I still have to address. I might switch to an SCX10 shock with mini-t springs.

Last edited by EvilTwin v2; 08-01-2011 at 06:33 AM.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:11 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I need to put some skins on it (at least until I can afford some matching inside skins), so I cut up a tattered old MRC bug body.

At this point, it's comp ready.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:22 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Your going to love it Twin, it's a real performer, I have mine set up to run in the open 2.2 Pro class (build thread below) I used some tricks I learned from my Gatekeeper 2 experience. It's been surprising everyone and has regularly finished near the top of the Pro class which is dominated by MOAs, something I'm finding very satisfying.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:52 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
Your going to love it Twin, it's a real performer, I have mine set up to run in the open 2.2 Pro class (build thread below) I used some tricks I learned from my Gatekeeper 2 experience. It's been surprising everyone and has regularly finished near the top of the Pro class which is dominated by MOAs, something I'm finding very satisfying.
Thanks. I looked over your build once before. Looks like the shafty has done really well for you.

I'm looking forward to getting it out on the rocks to see how it will do.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:21 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I can tell you your going to be very pleased, it crawls everything easy as pie. In our 2010 season I finished among the shafties in our 2.2 pro class, 2011 it's been the year of shafty pain for the MOAs, the Moonbuggy shafty has been mixing it up with the top trucks. I can't wait to hear what you think.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:58 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

After a suggestion from GMJunkie, I put some Mini Springs on a set of Integy MSR-11 shocks that I had here, and put them on. now the tires won't be into the shock springs.

I also decided I'd use my Gens Ave 450mah batteries. They don't stick up as high as the 850mah packs, and hopefully won't get damaged in a rollover.

Oh, and I weighed it. 4.8lb RTR. I might need to tune my foams differently (they were tuned for my 5.6lb berg).

Old 08-01-2011, 02:01 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
I can tell you your going to be very pleased, it crawls everything easy as pie. In our 2010 season I finished among the shafties in our 2.2 pro class, 2011 it's been the year of shafty pain for the MOAs, the Moonbuggy shafty has been mixing it up with the top trucks. I can't wait to hear what you think.
I can't wait to run it. I had it out with the old Chump chassis yesterday, so the sooner I run it, the better feel I'll have for how improved it is.

I have to admit, that the old Chump worked really well. Except for a few places where you just have to dig, I was able to run most of the Pro level courses with this rig. I would often go back after the comp and run through the courses to see how it would do, and I did the same thing as ECC, running some of the courses after they were finished. There were alot of places where the Sportsman worked every bit as well as my old Moonbuggy berg.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:34 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Looks good Carey
xrra_tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:50 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Good Job Carey!
CRSMacgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:16 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrra_tj View Post
Looks good Carey
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRSMacgyver View Post
Good Job Carey!
Thanks guys.

I haven't had it on any real rocks, but I was playing with it on a retaining wall by my house and it easily climbed a section that my old Moonbuggy Berg could only do with with dig and still wasn't easy. And that's with no no tuning.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:33 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

you're really making me want to go bodiless for the shafty

hopefully those mrc stiffies will have sufficient spring rate. i took one and cut it in half, looks like HR's and losi's are close to the same rate. that looks super clean, and love the bug hood added in! will it raise up like the other??
ClassicGMJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:00 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicGMJunkie View Post
that looks super clean, and love the bug hood added in! will it raise up like the other??
Old 08-05-2011, 06:45 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTwin v2 View Post
I can't wait to run it. I had it out with the old Chump chassis yesterday, so the sooner I run it, the better feel I'll have for how improved it is.

I have to admit, that the old Chump worked really well. Except for a few places where you just have to dig, I was able to run most of the Pro level courses with this rig. I would often go back after the comp and run through the courses to see how it would do, and I did the same thing as ECC, running some of the courses after they were finished. There were alot of places where the Sportsman worked every bit as well as my old Moonbuggy berg.
I knew you'd be smiling when you got it on some familiar rocks. I did the same thing on my first test runs, I was just grinning from ear to ear. My old rig was a pretty darn good, it should be after tweaking it for four years. I guess I just wasn't expecting that the new chassis' performance would make such big of a change, but there it was making lines it never made before. In the last four years there has been no other change that I made that has had such a dramatic effect on performance. As far as bang for the buck it's unbelievable and inexpensive. Rockshow did a great job on this one.

Took a second place finish last Sunday at our club event and that's it's second one this season, no wins as of yet but the season isn't over yet. Not to bad for competing against an almost all MOA class (2.2 Pro Class). I don't think my T1E shafty has been out of the top five all year.

Enjoy man it looks great, I love the color, let us know how it performs for you at your up coming comps.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:25 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

I have since gone back to Losi Gold springs on the shocks.

I also made some major changes to the front axle today. I installed wide beef tubes and made the swap to XR10 axle shafts, c-hubs and knuckles. With 350 hubs on the SLW's, I'm sitting right at 10 3/4" from outside to outside of the tires.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:28 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Old 11-13-2011, 07:02 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

I still have to tweak the steering to get a bit more out of it, and I need to pull off the narrowed Sedonas and put on the Boss Claws for our indoor series.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:49 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Looks good,but too bad its illegal.When you going to put a body on it you cheatin bast@rd!
BuckImod is offline   Reply With Quote