Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Andrew's FLASHY GC3A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2012, 07:46 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Andrew's GC3A comp

Just wanted to show off my latest build. Ive been in and out of crawling since 2007. I was getting ready to sell everything then Axial had thier first Geocache on the east coast. It wasnt far so I packed up, went and got it. Got some decent parts and kinda sparked my interest again. I ended up finding a few local guys to crawl with and it has became fun again.

Anyhow, I blew the dust off my old AX10 that had an R2D tranny, and integy CF chassis and threw it back together quick with the stock tranny and a GC3A chassis, along with the axial Aluminum shocks I scored in the Axial Geocache.

So far here is build as it sits now:
-Gatekeeper GC3A chassis
-Stock AX10 tranny
-MIP drive shafts
-Robinson tranny gears
-Axial alum threaded shocks
-Proline 8 shooter wheels with blue dot Rovers
-Tekin FXr, Integy 35T motor

Last edited by aclark09; 08-16-2012 at 12:20 PM.
aclark09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2012, 08:25 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Andrew's FLASHY GC3A

I wasn’t happy with what was available as far as front axle servo/battery/electronics plates(both prices and what I envisioned I wanted) so I went to the fab shop, got a 6” square of aluminum plate for 2 bucks and got to making my own. I also had made my own servo armor from a piece of 1x1 aluminum angle. I could not justify paying for something so simple to make.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:28 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Since all GC3A chassis all come the same color, I also decided that grey anodizing was too common, I dropped my chassis plates off at the PowderCoaters and this is what i have now. The other guys I crawl with all started getting serious with thier rigs and I had to upgrade to hang with them. I started chipping away at getting things I needed. First was dig. I picked up a used VP Hurtz, got the VP mini servo mount and a Hitec Hs225 MG servo. My steering was not up to par with what my buddies had so I got some wide delrin toobs, and all the parts to do the XR mod.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:57 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Nice work so far!
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:18 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Cool build!
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:27 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I like the color of the chassis! Very nice
Hittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:31 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Great idea with the powdercoat to the chassis frame. That will stand out for sure. Keep us posted with your add-ons.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:10 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Looks good, fit and finish on that servo plate looks NICE!
RCOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:00 PM   #9
5th D Owner/Driver

Nice servo plate.
cboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:54 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Thanks guys. I am very pleased with the servo plate as well. Not bad for a drill, dremel, files and sand paper!
I ordered some VP wheels, VP wraith knuckles, VP chubs. Should be here next week. Im usually a cheapo when it comes to buying RC parts so i get a few here and there and dont place "big" orders. I finally broke down and did it. lol
Old 08-03-2012, 06:56 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

I finally got my order in.
I got:
VP wraith knuckles
VP c hubs
VP wraith drag link ti
VP wraith steering link ti
VP SLW 1 wheels with .475 hubs
SCX10 hexes
CKRC alum servo mounts

I jumped the gun ordering the wraith steering link as it is too long. I think I saw that AR60 sporty build while looking at it on my phone and didnt think twice about it. I was thinkin I may be able to use it still but would need to put a few more bends into to clear the pumpkin

I was excited when I heard the mailman knock on the door since I am not doing anything for a while. I had bought a new motorcycle a few weeks ago to race and managed to break my tibia and had to have screws put in it... So I am off work for a few more weeks. Did this the weekend before my wedding and then had surgery 2 days before the wedding....
My Jawa 888sss speedway bike

Xray of my ankle.....

I got the VP Wraith Titanium steering links, the drag link works fine, I had some binding on my servo plate....

But fixed it by removing some material from the corner. I didnt want to have to do this but Im trying to tuck all my steering links in as tight as I can. I also sanded/filed the backside of my CKRC servo arm flush with the rest of the arm as the rod end and screw was catching on the servo armor. It also helped clear my battery plate as well.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:52 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

i love the powder coated chassis. makes me want to do mine now. your build makes me want to go spend more on mine now.
mayheem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:40 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Update: I ordered a new axle housing, OD/UD gears. XR10 bent tie rod. Will be getting the premium delrin toobs as soon as I can. Working on getting some large brass bushings from a frien and plan on machining them down.

I may be drilling another set of holes in my servo plate and centering the servo, maybe even cutting a new one out that doesnt have the wings on it.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:02 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

My order came and I got to workin on it again. I got my XR10 steering link put on then worked around it. Until I order my titanium link from Lunsford, these 2 stock links put together were the perfect length.

I saw someone else's build and they had motor wires ran under the tranny, that really looks clean and hides them quite well. Still want to get some of that braided wire wrap and run them thru it along with the servo wire for the dig.

I also fianlly got around to painting my body. As I was getting ready to spray my yellow, the nozzle coming out of the can broke, so I ended up using orange. Body doesnt go well with the chassis but ill use this one as a beater body until I get soe extra money in my paypal to get one from rockthrasher.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:21 PM   #15

Keep up this thread. I'm in the same boat as you. I bought a AX-10 years ago and then moved on to other things. Last year I started racing R/C off road seriously and am really enjoying that. I get tired of fighting for lap times and just want to go play and build up something interesting so I check in here once in a while. Given my AX-10 is pretty fresh I may try to find a GC3A and follow along. Please post lots of pictures, I've been away from this forum for a while and need to learn about the cool new stuff that is available.
runs_wscissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:39 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by runs_wscissors View Post
Keep up this thread. I'm in the same boat as you. I bought a AX-10 years ago and then moved on to other things. Last year I started racing R/C off road seriously and am really enjoying that. I get tired of fighting for lap times and just want to go play and build up something interesting so I check in here once in a while. Given my AX-10 is pretty fresh I may try to find a GC3A and follow along. Please post lots of pictures, I've been away from this forum for a while and need to learn about the cool new stuff that is available.
Sorry, RWS. Not trolling for you. You have proven yourself too valuable in the 'digital logbook' side of online forums.

I have followed your XXX-SCT build very closely on RCSC. Fantastic resource. Glad you have rediscovered the slow side of things.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for a body. FYI, Peeps Rock!

Sorry, Not stalking, just seen that screen name too many times on RCSC. When you talked about racing, I was like, wait a minute! I know that name.....

Welcome! Racing is a blast, I do love it! But crawling is my passion.
dentonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:47 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentonmac View Post
Sorry, RWS. Not trolling for you. You have proven yourself too valuable in the 'digital logbook' side of online forums.
Thanks for the props, nothing to apologize about. I sent you a PM as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclark09 View Post
First was dig. I picked up a used VP Hurtz, got the VP mini servo mount and a Hitec Hs225 MG servo. My steering was not up to par with what my buddies had so I got some wide delrin toobs, and all the parts to do the XR mod.
I know the answers to my questions can likely be found in the hundreds of pages on the AX-10, but I'd rather just ask them here if you don't mind.

It seems like the "sporty" class or movement is all about going back to your original shafty crawler and reviving it. With the over/under drive and steering improvements, some of the other builds are going without a dig unit. You mentioned falling behind your crawling buddies without the dig. Can you explain further? I'm on the fence about including one in my build.

Your steering looks great, can you explain the XR mod with some additional pictures? I'm specifically interested in the knuckle, chub, steer arm and front universals that give the most steering throw.

Is the GC3A chassis still in production? I think I may have found one at RPP Hobbies. It seems like this is a pretty good plug and play chassis to get started with.

Thanks.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:41 PM   #18

Im looking for a comp chassis. How is that chassis?
Stax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:29 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by runs_wscissors View Post
It seems like the "sporty" class or movement is all about going back to your original shafty crawler and reviving it. With the over/under drive and steering improvements, some of the other builds are going without a dig unit. You mentioned falling behind your crawling buddies without the dig. Can you explain further? I'm on the fence about including one in my build.

Thanks.
RWS, I can broach the dig subject. If you plan on comping, don't bother with the dig. It is expensive for the AX, and (if you use it) will push you out of the sportsman class, into competing with the high-dollar Motor on axle rigs (MOA - XR-10 and Berg) in the pro class. There is alot that the shaftys can do, but compete with the MOAs - you are fighting an uphill battle. That you will lose, unless you are an amazing driver. The AX10 is the standard in the Sporty class, there is some amazing things that they are doing with them as a sportsman. Aclark was probably referring to his buddies with dig shaftys/MOAs (just guessing).

My apologizes if you already know this. The dig allows so much more control over the rig. It allows the front wheels to still be controlled by the throttle, while the rear is locked. This inproved steering radius, as well as going over a ledge. Dig the front wheels over and load the traction then climb up. The over/under drive helps with this a little (and is a smart addition).

In reality, it really improves the capabilities of your rig. If you have no intention of comping, go for it. It will blow you way.

Hope this helps. If I was not on my phone, I would post a video. It would explain much better.

Last edited by dentonmac; 09-08-2012 at 10:47 PM.
dentonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:15 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentonmac View Post
The AX10 is the standard in the Sporty class, there is some amazing things that they are doing with them as a sportsman. Aclark was probably referring to his buddies with dig shaftys/MOAs ...The dig allows so much more control over the rig.
Thanks for the insight. I've watched lots of dig videos from "Bender" back when the dig was in the drive-shaft to the rear axle. I think I'll keep it simple first time around.

I found my own answer to the XR steering mod. Sorry for hi-jacking your thread Andrew.

Andrew's FLASHY GC3A - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another GC3A, Oh Yeah cagedcbr Axial AX-10 Scorpion 22 03-27-2011 10:39 PM
gatekeeper gc3a gatecreeper Axial AX-10 Scorpion 3 03-01-2011 09:01 PM