Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: 5.10 The old school shafty

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2013, 04:19 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

New Chassis Design
It's time for me to bring my crawler into 2013 instead of 2008. While I love my SWX chassis the skid plate is way to long for me and being I can't drop over a 100 bucks on a new villain or sudu chassis I've decided to try my hand a designing my own. The picture is a rough design I conjured up using my SWX for base measurements for the shock mounting the only difference is the skid plate on my design should be 1" shorter and and around 1/2 in wider to get the spur gear back inside the twin vertical plates. I'll have to make longer lower and upper links for the rear of my rig but the front should remain the same. (I hope) Please feel free to put your 2 cents in I'll take all the help I can get.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
chris.martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2013, 08:41 AM   #22
Rock Crawler

It's a rough version but im excited to finish it up and start turning it
Old 07-06-2013, 09:55 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: 5.10 The old school shafty

Nice idea on the tire patch. I bet it would work equally well on the outside of the tire too.
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:48 AM   #24
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
Nice idea on the tire patch. I bet it would work equally well on the outside of the tire too.
Thanks man thumbsuo

Old 07-14-2013, 06:11 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

This is my DiY chassis I've been working on please check out these pics and let me know what you think, good, bad or other wise I'd like to hear your opinions.
SPECS
Chassis material is .093 polycarbonate
Stiffeners are 1/8 aluminum
Skid plate is super slippery UHMW(ultra high molecular weight)

Old 07-14-2013, 06:19 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

Some Gmade wheels I've been narrowing

Mounted on some shaved Sedonas narrowed on left full width on right. (Please excuse the 4th of July decorations be hind them)

It's hard to tell but they are 1/8 of an inch taller and narrower. Unfortunately with all the hardware and the 625 slw they weigh in at the same weight of 5.6 oz
Old 07-14-2013, 06:56 PM   #27
Rock Crawler

Well, since your asking for opinions: Polycarbonate and UHMWPE are both known to be strong but flexy. The aluminum beams might help, but as they're attached with only a single screw each end, that limits how much stiffness they could add.

Now I don't know that a flexy chassis is bad. Torsion rigs rely on it. But it seems most people brag about how stiff they've made their chassis.

If you decide to stiffen yours, Hobbyking has a pretty good price on 1mm and 1.5mm woven carbon fiber sheet. I've found it to be better quality than some cheap sheets I bought off EBAY.

You might also want to add aluminum crossbraces where you bolt your side beams on.
Hardline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:08 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardline View Post
Well, since your asking for opinions: Polycarbonate and UHMWPE are both known to be strong but flexy. The aluminum beams might help, but as they're attached with only a single screw each end, that limits how much stiffness they could add.

Now I don't know that a flexy chassis is bad. Torsion rigs rely on it. But it seems most people brag about how stiff they've made their chassis.

If you decide to stiffen yours, Hobbyking has a pretty good price on 1mm and 1.5mm woven carbon fiber sheet. I've found it to be better quality than some cheap sheets I bought off EBAY.

You might also want to add aluminum crossbraces where you bolt your side beams on.
Thanks for the imput I'll be making 2 more stiffiners tomorrow that will go between the single bolt on the aluminum side braces. As for the UHMW Skid plate I hope it will be solid enough being it such a small piece, but you are right it's definitely not as stiff as delrin. After I have tested this design and tweaked it to my liking I plan to make another chassis out of aluminum. Thanks for the imput:thumbup:

Old 07-14-2013, 09:12 PM   #29
Rock Crawler

In case you don't know...delrin isn't considered stiff either. For delrin skids, they usually make them pretty thick which makes for stiff. For chassis materials, stiff = aluminum, carbon fiber, maybe G10.
Hardline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:24 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

Sneek peak of the DiY chassis progress. It's really stiff and suspension geometry is very promising. A little more tweaking and ill be on to the final product.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:00 PM   #31
Rock Crawler

I took the 5:10 to sam lewis state park today to test the DiY chassis I've been working on and I think I finally have something. It crawled very well for not having any weights yet. Here are some pictures of some lines I crawled.

Line 2

Old 07-31-2013, 04:25 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

Line 3

Old 07-31-2013, 06:09 PM   #33
RCC Addict

Looks good man. Keep tuning that thing and we're going to have to find some bigger rocks!
Unshaved Sedona's in the rear for added weight?? Good idea.... haha
I can see you have your braking issue taken care of. There's no way you could have gotten some of these pictures with that worn out goat.
MRCrackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:12 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

I have body envy! Rock envy as well! Lol!!!!

That's a unique body ya got, what is it?
I haven't comped at Sam lewis Yet but it looks like I have to get there! I'm only a couple hours away in Williamsport.

EPA comps at Sam lewis. I was just talking with crackhead bout rausch creek in a few weeks, on the 17th. Tho sporty might be Fri night. Maybe make it over to join in. Class 2, 2.2p, an a scale poker/dash run(run what ya bring style) even ur sporty is legal for that..
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:53 AM   #35
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post
I have body envy! Rock envy as well! Lol!!!!

That's a unique body ya got, what is it?
I haven't comped at Sam lewis Yet but it looks like I have to get there! I'm only a couple hours away in Williamsport.

EPA comps at Sam lewis. I was just talking with crackhead bout rausch creek in a few weeks, on the 17th. Tho sporty might be Fri night. Maybe make it over to join in. Class 2, 2.2p, an a scale poker/dash run(run what ya bring style) even ur sporty is legal for that..
The body is a proline Helios that I found at the local hobby shop. It has been discontinued but he has one more I was thinking about picking up before he closes his shop down.

So winner123 what did you think of crackheads mini? I personally think it's bad ass. He has a ton of work into it and it crawls amazing.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:37 AM   #36
I wanna be Dave

I would go pick it up for sure, just for the fact that its diff an looks good doin it!

As for that poor neglected mini work of art, with NO build thread, its pretty bad A$$! Wanting to see it crawl. My eyes needs some video at least!

I'm hoping you guys can make it to a comp... we run 1.9, class 1, an(other then rain last time) 2.2s Fri night.. camping or hotel, then comp Sat.. at rausch with the 1:1 guys wheeling beside us..
Old 08-01-2013, 07:14 AM   #37
Rock Crawler

Im definitely interested in the comp but not sure my rig is ready to go up against sudu's and villian's. I've been waiting to run into the epa boys out at sam lewis just to see how mine compares to there rigs. Im wanting to widen my front axle but I just spent 100 bucks on VP knuckles and lock outs and chubs.

I'm going to get that body but since you like it so much id like for you to have it if you want it.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:21 AM   #38
Rock Crawler

Winner123 does the xr mod have any benefit than better steering like does it make a noticeable difference on side hilling?

Old 08-01-2013, 07:55 AM   #39
I wanna be Dave

No worries, no sudo or villain chassis to worry bout.. the worst you have to worry bout is Bwd sss-rs. ;) unless turbofest is there. Then add a turbotech to that..

I'm set with a couple bodies now, but get it. Something like that could go over big for a bargaining chip for someone that just Can't not have it. :thumbup:

As for the XR steering.. mucho benefits! Steering(duh) an reaching for ledges or getting ur tire over a rock an turning the wheel into it for more bite, the list goes on an on... the width adds to stability an keeps you planted, not only on sidehills but helps everywhere. IMO, its a huge win win all around.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:07 AM   #40
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the info that makes it easier to stomach the 100 dollar loss on the VP 8° set I just recently purchased. But 8 have been contiplateting getting the smooth tubes and just running the 8° knuckles I have cause to be quite honest it's a lot better steering than a stock setup but I just cant use there full potential without going wider caise they bind up in my shocks enough to stop my rig from moving. Pluse another benefit im looking forward to is the xr universals cause the axial CVD's seem to lock up and cause the rig to buck at full lock. How much more than 45° of steering do you get out of the Xr mod? I can get at least 45° out of the setup I have know if I was to use the xr universals.

5.10 The old school shafty - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
School of Doom - School Made Video Trailer LR3 Chit Chat 8 09-24-2010 09:26 AM
old school/new school chevy mud bogger josh hayes 1.9 Scale Rigs 0 10-01-2009 05:22 PM
Reign J2-tt... Old school to new school 1tom2go Axial AX-10 Scorpion 3 10-27-2008 08:32 AM
Lets see your "School" bodies ... College, High School, etc. Locked Up Paint and Body 15 08-18-2008 12:09 AM