Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: I gave in.... Wonder how long it will remain stock?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2008, 08:07 AM   #21
Web Wheeling

Finally did some work on my Axial this past weekend. I picked up a set of hot racing 90mm shocks and the hot racing axial drive shaft collars. I first mounted up the shocks to the stock chassis, and it sat to low with this setup. I ended up cutting out some simple shock tabs to extend the shock mounts further outwards and down. The end result is about 1/4" lower the stock, and more predictable flex. Now I just need to wait for the snow to melt so I can see how these changes affected the performance of the truck.

Still need to solder up the new saddle pack to mount on the axle, and I might try a losi grapler body on it.
Etype R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2008, 11:49 AM   #22
Pebble Pounder

would it be possible for you to make a template of those shock mount exstensions that i could print. I really want to use my big bores but because i am only 14 and have been in the hobby for 1.5 years, i dont have a lathe and stuff. Thanks!
person123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 11:50 AM   #23
Pebble Pounder

P.S. I only want the front ones
Old 02-20-2008, 11:52 AM   #24
Pebble Pounder

P.S.S. That set up looks great. I like the fact that you didnt spent a ton of money on it (it gives me hope of having an inexpensive scorpion that perfoms)
Old 02-20-2008, 12:05 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

What Losi Springs are you running(on the stock axial shocks)? part no#? Did you put your shock dampers inside the shock body? You have a great looking and well flexed rig there

Last edited by Nacho; 02-20-2008 at 12:07 PM.
Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:12 PM   #26
Pebble Pounder

aye he does maytee
Old 02-20-2008, 12:30 PM   #27
Pebble Pounder

etype r? still there?
Old 02-20-2008, 12:30 PM   #28
Pebble Pounder

Im sorry If i scared you off with my pirate lingo
Old 02-20-2008, 12:46 PM   #29
Web Wheeling

checked the thread on my cell phone, but didn't feel like typing up a reply on my lunch break

I might draw up a template for it... But they are pretty basic. I started out by bolting the new shocks onto the axles, and took a guess at how far out I wanted to move them. From there I cut a length of 3/4x1/8" aluminum bar stock, scribbed some lines with my digital calipers to transfer the stock mounting holes from the Axial. I center punched, then drilled the top 3 holes. After a test fit, I scribbed some lines out for the lower shock mounting holes. Made 3 copys using the original piece, then trimmed the edges for clearance. On the front mounts I needed to cut them down to clear the body, other then that the front and rears are the same.

Tools I used to make these:
- Black Sharpie
- Mill file
- Hacksaw
- Bench vise
- Drill press
- Digital calipers
- Center punch

As for the springs, they are just 4 inch losi springs, look up the part numbers based off color and size
Old 02-20-2008, 02:07 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMZKRAWLER View Post
That is the body for the traxxas rustler

Master of the obvious!
Mgoetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 02:59 PM   #31
Web Wheeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoetz View Post
Master of the obvious!
Shut it n00b! You just flamed someone who responded to a question asking what body it was. Far from a useless post, it was helpful information. And to top it all off, that was posted last fall... Look at post dates before you respond to someone
Old 02-20-2008, 05:01 PM   #32
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etype R View Post
checked the thread on my cell phone, but didn't feel like typing up a reply on my lunch break

I might draw up a template for it... But they are pretty basic. I started out by bolting the new shocks onto the axles, and took a guess at how far out I wanted to move them. From there I cut a length of 3/4x1/8" aluminum bar stock, scribbed some lines with my digital calipers to transfer the stock mounting holes from the Axial. I center punched, then drilled the top 3 holes. After a test fit, I scribbed some lines out for the lower shock mounting holes. Made 3 copys using the original piece, then trimmed the edges for clearance. On the front mounts I needed to cut them down to clear the body, other then that the front and rears are the same.

Tools I used to make these:
- Black Sharpie
- Mill file
- Hacksaw
- Bench vise
- Drill press
- Digital calipers
- Center punch

As for the springs, they are just 4 inch losi springs, look up the part numbers based off color and size

I know it is simple and I really wish I could do it the way you did but because I dont have the machinery to do the experementing and trimming, I'm begging you to please make a printable template of one of the front mounts. See I will have to give the template to this guy at my lhs who will make them for me and I have to have a template. Im only 14 so I cant afford the machinery (In case I havent said already)
Old 02-20-2008, 05:04 PM   #33
Pebble Pounder

PS In case yall were wondering, the reason a 14 yr old kid was at home in the middle of the day is, I dun got that flu and I'm not even joking.

Also, if you give me the template, dont worry about the width (I will have it made the same width as the pivot ball on the stock shocks) but it would be nice to know what size screw holes and such along with the printout

Last edited by person123; 02-20-2008 at 05:28 PM.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:57 PM   #34
Web Wheeling

I'll see about doing it at a later time, it involves removing the part from the truck though. And I have a few projects I need to finish before I can do anything with it. Just in case it takes longer then you would like, you could try showing the guy at your LHS the pictures of my truck, I bet he could figure the rest out ;)
Old 03-15-2008, 12:50 PM   #35
Web Wheeling

A few updates...
8 cell saddle pack is finished and mounted on the front axle
Eritex beadlocks installed, waiting on some badland tires now
Picked up a Losi Grapler body, need to paint it still
Installed a mamba max and played with the throttle curve, I am very happy with it.

And random pics.

Old 03-15-2008, 01:03 PM   #36
Quarry Creeper

Very nice looking rig, really like those beadlock wheels. Do you have any ideals on how you are going to paint the body?
rckcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:34 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

You did a really good job making the Rustler body work. That's what I'm running on my TLT crawler. I cut mine jst like you did, but I left more to the rear.

How you liking the new body? I was thinking about getting one as my above mentioned Rustler body has a crap paint job.
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 04:58 PM   #38
Web Wheeling

Thanks, painted the body, still need to put the door handle stickers on it.

Old 03-16-2008, 02:13 AM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Looks real good man!!!!
rckcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote