Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Axial SHOCK problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2007, 08:40 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

I've been beating my ax10 big rocks little rocks rolling over ect. shock caps have not popped off. I think maybe people are filling w/too much oil
tapped-out is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2007, 10:14 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

I'm with everyone, its the style of shocks, people always overfill this type. Another thing I disagree with Taffey, but his method will work. I use a tried and true Losi sponsored driver trick, since they shocks work on much the same idea.

Fill and bleed. Fill back to just under top, put on cap and there you have it. Then pump the shock vigorously (this is a emulsion shock so you have to get the oil and air mixing) then you can check rebound and pressure.

My only shock issue is the leaking...Used Associated Green slime but those bottom o-rings are still not sealing. Trying to do something tomorrow with all that, suspension in general actually. Prolly go Rear XXX-NT using the Axial Shafts...
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 11:03 PM   #23
RCC Addict

I too am having trouble with leaky shocks and I have not been on the rocks with it yet. I think the cup in which the o-rings reside is just too deep, so when you tighten the cap it does not compress the o-rings at all, so tomorrow after our maiden trip, I am going to instal some nylon washers to shim the space out. Then test em to see if that helps. I also noticed the shocks, when fully extended are pretty wobbly, more than most other shocks I've seen. So lets see if shimming the o-rings help that too..
The Real Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 12:24 AM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Is there any other shocks out on the market that we can buy to upgade these shocks? Or will Axial ever put out a set of upgaded shocks?
Azcats1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 11:00 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
Another thing I disagree with Taffey, but his method will work. I use a tried and true Losi sponsored driver trick, since they shocks work on much the same idea.

Fill and bleed. Fill back to just under top, put on cap and there you have it. Then pump the shock vigorously (this is a emulsion shock so you have to get the oil and air mixing) then you can check rebound and pressure.
That works too, and is probably more by-the-book than my method.
Taffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 06:31 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

I was popping my shocks quite a bit today. I was pretty happy with the truck overall though. I'll be putting some shocks off my T4 on there later today.

The final time they popped, I popped both rear shocks, popped the driveshaft off the pins, and broke the y yoke link.

I don't think this was an oil issue...
HBRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 06:47 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

lol what where you doing so I know to not do that
quads4_life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 08:26 PM   #28
I joined the Band!

mine weep a bit .the o rings are on the inside ,and the oil is fill to the top the cap should have enough air to compensate.although the shocks are so so but the springs are way to stiff .if you put the bat over the axle there isnt enough weight to make it articulate.softer springs would most likely fix this
colonelangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 08:29 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by quads4_life View Post
lol what where you doing so I know to not do that
My rear wheel was stuck in a crevice with a small overhang.

What can i say. I thought I could make it.
HBRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 02:17 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Not sure of the shock cap diameter, but a fix might be using aluminum shock caps (Traxxas makes these for their big bore shocks). I've done this with plastic shocks, adding a bit of teflon tape and a very small peice of fuel tubing on the shock shaft to keep it from bottoming out and got rid of any issues with shock caps popping off.

Chris
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 06:45 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Ok guys more shock work trials.

Losi bodies and cartridges and Axial shafts. Good length, not for the stock springs though. Also the Losi Shaft must be thicker...more weepage...or maybe Axial made these shafts too small?

Evader Rear ST ones, same issues above, boy they copied the XX-T but their shocks are way worse!

I'm back to stock, BUT I added a spacer between the 2 o-rings in the bottom. I used a thin spacer from the Rustler rebuild kit. I pack is enough for all 4 shocks Found HERE. I think the bladders might even work for guy who want to try them. They are the 4 clear looking wshers on the upper left in the pic there. Be sure to loosely install the low nut , lots of green slime, install shaft and then tighen the lower nut up. That spacer is perfect, no weep yet!
Old 09-12-2007, 07:26 PM   #32
RCC Addict

Yeah Bianary, I use a 3mm stainless washer for a spacer in the o-ring pack and it works like a charm no weepage yet. I just picked up a set of Traxxas Shock Diaphrams for the e-max lets see if that helps the oil loading trouble. Still OEM Shock Bodies. Anyone know what springs fit these shocks to get a softer spring. I axial has softer sets but noone seems to have them in stock, unless I missed something.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:28 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

I hear alot of people using the Wheelie King ones, but they only have 1 stiffness, but by feel its softer than the axials. I would think the E-Savage might be very close too...
Old 09-12-2007, 10:01 PM   #34
Rock Crawler

Losi springs should fit, I believe the diameter is just a smidge larger. Also a good tip to shorten the shafts, or lower the ride height. Take the rubber damper and put it inside the shock body
TerribleOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 10:40 PM   #35
RCC Addict

I'll try the Losi Springs since my lhs has a big selection. The Rubber bumper was the first thing to get moved to the inside(basic stuff).