Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Rear Upper Link Mount Mod

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2007, 01:59 PM   #1
MODERATOR™

Default Rear Upper Link Mount Mod

Because of this...

I'm trying this out. Prototype made of plastic, if all goes well, I'll drill out the metal plate from the kit. Adjustable for squat numbers too.

EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2007, 02:23 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Keep us posted

thanks

cwkoehler
cwkoehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 05:01 PM   #3
RCC Addict

man thats awsom, i would like to do it but i have located my batter try on the front axle so i donno ill have to figure soemthing out theire
ctrwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 08:31 PM   #4

First day of real use... about 2 hours in I told me friend to just give it more skinny (trigger?) and the link popped out and cracked the mount in the process... can I just use some JB weld? Maybe fill the entire hole with jb weld and then drill out a new hole? Thoughts?
firetacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 09:37 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

So who can step up to the plate and make an identical bracket as the problem area out of metal using a CNC or like machine? Takers?

cwkoehler
cwkoehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 10:53 PM   #6

nevermind. I are a dumb noobie.
firetacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 11:28 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

That set-up looks pretty trick and also like a relatively straight forward fix. I had the same problem with mine (link popping out) so I moved the lower suspension links to the center holes on the bottom of the chassis. This adjusted the pinion angel and it hasn't popped out since...Or maybe I've just been lucky? I think I'm going to have to give this a try.
bmuzz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 11:29 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkoehler View Post
So who can step up to the plate and make an identical bracket as the problem area out of metal using a CNC or like machine? Takers?

cwkoehler
The problem, as EeePee pointed out on another forum is that you can't use the metal pivot point. With a mount being metal and the ball metal too, you would not be able to pop it into the joint like you can with plastic.
Racer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 01:01 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I relocated my upper link as you pictured and it seems to have fixed the problem. I May have lost a little bit of articulation, but I will have to test it out on my backyard rock garden tomorrow.
bmuzz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 03:28 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

you wont loose any travel if you leave a little bit of threads showing with that setup because when the joint runs out of travel the threads will take up the rest.
rockcrawler_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 07:10 AM   #11
MODERATOR™

I ran two packs through the truck with good results. Meaning, no problems. Because I have actually moved the instant center of the rear links the truck seems to behave a little better now. But I might be imagining things... but maybe not. I mentioned it's adjustable for anti squat numbers, so I can move the IC around even more and try it out.

Like Racer4lifeyo mentioned, the difficulty of producing an Aluminum version of the stock piece is being able to get that pivot ball in there. I believe it can be cast somehow, but I just don't know. This is a really easy fix I've come up with, and took me all of 5 minutes to make and mount the thing.

The only problem, if you can call it that, is the upper links hit the shocks when the truck is super flexed out. Mine is pretty light running a 3 ounce brushless motor, and a Mamba 25 with the battery located on the front axle so I never did get a lot of flex, but that's okay, I don't like a lot of flex. And now that I think about it, I could move the links further in on the chassis, then redrill the hole on the axle plate and everything should clear without interference.

Old 09-10-2007, 02:32 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

More pics and updates?
LIKES2CRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 01:08 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer4Life View Post
The problem, as EeePee pointed out on another forum is that you can't use the metal pivot point. With a mount being metal and the ball metal too, you would not be able to pop it into the joint like you can with plastic.

aluminum rod ens always come with the ball in place.. so relax, i'm sure the upper mounts will be also, duh..
crawls2thewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 01:09 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

they can obviously do the same with the new upper mount, right..
Old 09-10-2007, 01:44 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Only problem I can see is where can you mount a rear servo for 4WS or dig? Maybe extend the mount plate forward, remove the y-adapter for the upper link and mount each link individually? Guess it's not really a problem if you don't plan on running a rear servo!

Chris
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 01:54 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

you cant, this would be more for comps..no rws..
for dig, you can mount the servo directly to an r2..if you have one that is..

CLICK_HERE_TO_SEE
Old 09-10-2007, 02:05 PM   #17
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIKES2CRAWL View Post
More pics and updates?
Sure, the battery is charging at the moment. I'll bring my camera outside with me this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawls2thewalls View Post
they can obviously do the same with the new upper mount, right..
Right. But I think they make those from a cast. Truthfully, I don't know. I'm sure someone can manage to come up with an aluminum piece that replaces the stock piece. But for now, this works for me, and I made no mods to anything. So if and when a replacement piece comes along, there's no problem installing it.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:20 PM   #18
Debunking old stereotypes

That looks like it'll work out just fine. Nice little fix Eeepee
I used a washer in mine when I first built it, and haven't had any problems (yet) but I do have a nice piece of Aluminum plate laying around here, a new set of bits for the drill press, and some freetime
freetimecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 08:48 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

I think if Axial or any other company goes to make a fix for this, its going to look like this one by EeePee or something like my 4-link plate. Very simple to make and yet very effective without the problems associated with the stock piece.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 08:55 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawls2thewalls View Post
aluminum rod ens always come with the ball in place.. so relax, i'm sure the upper mounts will be also, duh..
Ever used those from RC4WD? They suck! You have to make spacers to allow them to flex!

As to how they make them, not sure. I would think that if it was doable, it would already be in production!:-P
Racer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote