Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: J2-TT/Axial SL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2007, 09:52 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

hey Zack, with your rig that lite does it let the suspension move like it is supposed too or is it a little stiff?
fathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2007, 09:52 PM   #22
'08 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by fathead View Post
what do you mean
Nothing, just messing with you.
Just Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:54 PM   #23
'08 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
hey Zack, with your rig that lite does it let the suspension move like it is supposed too or is it a little stiff?
Its a little stiff right now but I am going to get some lighter springs tomorrow.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:55 PM   #24
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Hey novah's arc, too bad I didn't know you were in the market for another j2, I just pawned mine off for $25.00. I got a great deal, haha

I like that shock/spring setup Zach it looks great..
Talk about thread hi-jack. There is one in the for sale section now:
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93426
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:59 PM   #25
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by justgiveereh View Post
Its a little stiff right now but I am going to get some lighter springs tomorrow.
I am having the same problem with my J2-TT only I am using TLT axles. It's too lite and I am having to modify springs. I have cut a coil out of the springs top and bottom and then taken a small butane torch to heat just the end to get the end of the spring to sit flat. It has worked well in the rear. The front springs still need more tuning. I am running a lipo pack and that is part of the problem. Too lite weight.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:59 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

It looks great Zack, I cant wait to see it on Santas' Rock Rash. It looks like a contender
fathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 10:03 PM   #27
'08 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
It looks great Zack, I cant wait to see it on Santas' Rock Rash. It looks like a contender
I will probably still be running my tuber at the Rock Rash. This is an experiment. Who knows though, with some run time I might be using it, I just can't imagine something working much better than my tuber and I want to break into the top 5 for once.

Thanks though, I'm actually pretty stoked on it.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:04 PM   #28
'08 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
I am having the same problem with my J2-TT only I am using TLT axles. It's too lite and I am having to modify springs. I have cut a coil out of the springs top and bottom and then taken a small butane torch to heat just the end to get the end of the spring to sit flat. It has worked well in the rear. The front springs still need more tuning. I am running a lipo pack and that is part of the problem. Too lite weight.
Try getting big bore shocks and running mini T springs at the bottom of them. Its easily the lightest weight spring you can find that might work.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:22 PM   #29
RCC Addict

Looks good all polished up!! I like that body, I just might have to buy one. See at the comp..
SPECIAL ED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 10:32 PM   #30
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by justgiveereh View Post
Try getting big bore shocks and running mini T springs at the bottom of them. Its easily the lightest weight spring you can find that might work.
Thank you for that tip. I am using front Sportwerks Mayhem 1/8 scale nitro buggy shocks on the J2-TT. They are the same length as standard maxx shocks. I like the Sportwerks shocks because the bodies are threaded aluminum, hard anodized, the shock shafts are 3mm thick, and I have several sets. I had a few buggies I raced. I have since sold them, but I kept all the shocks and parts.

The shock bodies are big though, and standard 1/10 springs will not fit over the body, so I have been forced to modify the softest 1/8 scale springs I could buy. I am considering running both internal and external springs to remedy the issues.

It was not a problem on my SW2, because I was using a standard 6 cell stick pack and the rig was pretty heavy. But since I sold it and switched the the low CG and low weight philosophy, they are not working as good. I am considering buying maxx big bores soon, if I can't tune the suspension the way I need it. The 1/8 scale shocks work great for tubers with droop suspension though. I am running Ofna Hyper 7 pro front shocks on my tuber.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:16 PM   #31
'08 2.2 National Champ

I got to actually drive it a bit this morning, I definitely need some lighter springs but it seems to work well.

I weighed it, 4lbs, 3.5oz. I know I could get it lighter but I don't know that I care. The nice thing about having it so light is that it lands pretty soft when you roll as compared to anything else I have had, less likely to break stuff.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:08 AM   #32
Say hello to my dactylion

Looking SWEET Zach. 4lbs 3.5oz... damn... that's 9.5 oz lighter than mine and I thought mine was light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
Do you happen to know if a R2D will fit in the J2-TT narrow chassis?
The width between the plates of the J2-TT Narrow chassis is just about spot on 3". The standard R2 is 2.75" wide and should fit fine, I don't know if the R2D is wider or not.
PinchFlat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:35 AM   #33
'08 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinchFlat View Post
Looking SWEET Zach. 4lbs 3.5oz... damn... that's 9.5 oz lighter than mine and I thought mine was light.
Thanks Pinchy. I'm going to be running an 8 pack for sure so its going to gain about 3oz more. I also have some rock rings coming from 62pyro for it that will give it a little more heft. I would guess I end up around 4.5lbs. Still pretty dang light. I bet by 2.2 hustler was over 6.5lbs.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:05 PM   #34
'08 2.2 National Champ

I pretty much finished it up today. It was impossible to find standard springs that were light enough to work right so I decided to use Mini T springs. They work perfectly. I also lost precious grams up high

I also installed the sweet rock rings I got from 62Pyro. I know they don't look flashy but they are super functional. I have flat head screws on the way to.

Final weight
4.25lbs

Flex Shot

This was driven up to here, I'm honestlyshocked at the COG
Old 12-05-2007, 08:00 PM   #35
MODERATOR™

That's a cool truck man.

Talking about super light weight, I meant to post up a few days ago that I have my Scorpion down to 3 pounds 11.6 ounces ready to roll. The Scorpion is so light to begin and I'm using a Mamba 25 and BM-9 and a small Lipo and just Kreepy red & pink inserts for weighted stock wheels and Losi tires. Then leave off various parts that don't seem to be too important.

Put on the Heavies I got from ya and it checks in at 5.25 pounds.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 08:23 PM   #36
'08 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
That's a cool truck man.

Talking about super light weight, I meant to post up a few days ago that I have my Scorpion down to 3 pounds 11.6 ounces ready to roll. The Scorpion is so light to begin and I'm using a Mamba 25 and BM-9 and a small Lipo and just Kreepy red & pink inserts for weighted stock wheels and Losi tires. Then leave off various parts that don't seem to be too important.

Put on the Heavies I got from ya and it checks in at 5.25 pounds.
Man, that's light. I was shooting for 4 lbs but it's really functional right now and I don't know where to take much more weight off.

The heavies do that
Old 12-05-2007, 08:27 PM   #37
MODERATOR™

I think the BM9 is almost an ounce lighter? And the 2 cell 1320 Lipo is 2 ounces lighter than a 6 cell 2/3A pack, so there's more than 3 ounces. The BEC probably weighs a little bit. Then I guess the J2 might weigh more than the stock chassis? Rock rings too?

I sound like a roadie biker talking about ounces saved...
Old 12-05-2007, 08:41 PM   #38
Say hello to my dactylion

Weight Weenies! ... Mine is 4.83 lbs. with a wide J2-TT and wheel weight (I don't remember how much per wheel), 2 cell 2070 lypo, Rooster Crawler.
PinchFlat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 08:48 PM   #39
MODERATOR™

Heck, you're brushed motor is like 4.51849 ounces heavier than my brushless one. And the Rooster, oye that thing is waaaay hefty!

If I remember right, a Heavy delrin wheel, red Kreepy insert and a Masher were 10.6 ounces each. Back wheel was 4 ounces lighter.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:02 PM   #40
'08 2.2 National Champ

I have to say that it works exceptionally well. 801rcc had a comp today and I ran this instead of my tuber because its more water resistant and there was a lot of snow. I got my best result in 2.2 so far at 2nd place. Not bad for a rig I've been setting up for my kid I also didn't notice any problems with no weight in the wheels.