Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX10 2nd-gen

Notices

Thread: deadbolt build addiction

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2013, 10:44 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default deadbolt build addiction

I had just gotten into RC last week as some of you may know (alot of you have been ansering my questions all week).
Ive found that building the rigs is just as much fun as driving them...

If you guys see anything that is miss that you beleive would help out by all mean let me know..

PARTS LIST
axial alum c hubs
axial alum knuckles
axial universal's
axial alum link set
strc steering links
Overdrive
18 tooth pinion
rockster beadlocks with sedonas
black springs in front
HR Chassis (I was a little leary but ended up being one of the best upgrades I made)
castle BEC
Hitec5645 (should have done more research before hand,looking for a 7950 or cs170 now open to opinions)
2s onyx lipo's
Traxxas plugs

Still needing to order
-Metal drive shafts (recommendations?)
-Shocks (current ride height is just a hair under 3"...Suggestions? 3.5" or 4" which brand?)
I am consider a dig or the rcwd 2speed tranny but both require me to upgrade my Rx $$$$$

I have had such a good time building this I am now on the look out for a used rig (fast basher I beleive) more suggestions? lol

Last edited by johncraddock445; 12-06-2013 at 10:48 PM.
johncraddock445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2013, 10:46 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Sent from my ADR3010 using Tapatalk 2
Attached Images

Old 12-06-2013, 11:46 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Default Re: deadbolt build addiction

if you do a dig or 2 speed tranny you would have to get a different radio which should come with a matching rx. if it was me since it looks like your doing more of a actual crawler i would get a dig. save the 2speed for when you get the next rig and want a faster one. but thats jus my .02. other then that looks good. now go run it for a lil bit before you decide to rebuild it. lol
jboehler04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:55 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

yea thats kinda what I was thinking... only problem is... There are ZERO comps anywhere close to NKY...so being that I wont be trying to squeeze through gates would a dig be justified? and what do you think for a bash rig? should i stick with another axial or is there a cheaper route?
Old 12-07-2013, 11:06 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Then I would leave that rig alone for dig or 2 speed save your money for the next rig. For a basher I would look at the wraiths. That are wicked sick. Drop a good brushless system in and that 2 speed and you'll have a sweet ride. Well with other upgrades too. But last weekend I went out with some locals and a kid had a 2 speed wraith. Dropped it in low and it crawled around like a mountain goat then popped it in high and was water skipping across the lil bit of water that was out where we were. My next build is gonna be a wraith.
jboehler04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:29 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I was thinking about a Wraith but I hate to have to spend all the dollars on uprading everything connected to the wheels to make it reliable... Also another thing to consider is that this 2nd truck will be something that my 5 year old son will be driving as he tags along with me out on the trails... I beleive im leaning towards traxxas being that they have the 50% throttle setting which would be great for him. And from what I hear they are also built pretty tough...
Old 12-07-2013, 12:39 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

another thing...? is it worth selling the stock chassis body and wheels with tredaors?
Old 12-07-2013, 06:41 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Nice looking rig man! Makes me wanna mod my G2 AX10.

RCTogether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:35 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

thanks man... it was alot of fun building.... im on the hunt for a basher now....SOooooo many choices
Old 12-07-2013, 08:44 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

As long as you have a castle link you should be able to set any castle ESC (and I believe the AE2 that comes in wraith) to a 50% throttle response. I have a wraith running Pro4 MMP vanquish links knuckles C hubs and lockouts with a full Robinson Racing trans and am harder on the poor thing then anyone should be. The cage is standing up to the beating remarkably well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
knnphillips1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:54 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncraddock445 View Post
another thing...? is it worth selling the stock chassis body and wheels with tredaors?
I horde stuff, and always use it eventually. My bet, if you are as avid about building, you will put together another rig and use the chassis and the treps (those are fine tires). I enjoy the build more than driving it I think...

Metal shafts: try MIP or Junfac
Cs and Knuckles: Axial is pretty expensive...try ASIATEES.com ....I've only used their Cs and Knucks....can't beat the price and the fitment is great

Just my 2 cents....enjoy the hobby, there are several paths you can take...
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:24 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postclanker View Post
I horde stuff, and always use it eventually. My bet, if you are as avid about building, you will put together another rig and use the chassis and the treps (those are fine tires). I enjoy the build more than driving it I think...

Metal shafts: try MIP or Junfac
Cs and Knuckles: Axial is pretty expensive...try ASIATEES.com ....I've only used their Cs and Knucks....can't beat the price and the fitment is great

Just my 2 cents....enjoy the hobby, there are several paths you can take...
Thanks for the advice... im looking into a wraith.. but considering I will have 450 or so in it once i get it to "basher" level... why not buy a 4x4 stampede or slash
Old 12-07-2013, 09:31 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncraddock445 View Post
Thanks for the advice... im looking into a wraith.. but considering I will have 450 or so in it once i get it to "basher" level... why not buy a 4x4 stampede or slash
Ha, welcome to the addiction....buy the wraith, it's a lot of fun. My wraith is my basher.
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:57 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

The wraith axles and deadbolt axles are the same .
hellbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:33 PM   #15

Been looking at an out of the box deadbolt, but this build is convincing me to start picking up parts for a ground up.
OnThaGass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:34 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

It was alot of fun ... but yes I believe the axles, trans, escape and receiver are the only stock items left ... im taking it out tomorrow ... ill snag a few more pics

Old 12-10-2013, 06:49 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

i wouldnt worry too much about upgrades if your kid will be using it with 50% throttle. same axles as the deadbolt and mine have held up for a year so far(ridgecrest, same thing) with vanquish VVDs, alum links, 12T pinion and an upgraded servo on beadlocks and pitbull tires without any breakage so far(hub bolts loosened but that's it). Check the tightness of the screws on the moving parts often and you can even stick with the original screws for a while without issues. the AR 60 axle is a lot tougher than ppl give it credit as the old ax10 axle was weak and you had to replace the knuckles asap. This one I still have stock plastic knucles and c-hubs after a year of crawling and bashing, still holding up great. Get a castle link, first to up the drag brake if you wanna crawl, to up the voltage to 6V on the servo for more power and you'll be able to tone down your kid's truck.

Again, don't worry about upgrading everything, try it like it is and you'll see what you need down the road. purple springs on the deadbolt will give you a nicer ride on the trails while still letting you use all the shock travel very smoothly.

I wouldn't worry too much about the driveshafts either, they are pretty tough and if you want to up their strength, put a steel rod in there and fill it with glue. the CV portion of the driveshafts is metal, that's the important part. You wont break them with the stock motor unless you really beat the crap out of it. i believe i can be pretty hard on mine if it doesn't want to go where i want it to and they haven't even shown signs of twisting yet.

Good luck with your build.
benster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:20 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Little update ....
i decided to make windows/body panels for my rig using lexan ... im letting the tint dry now and i will get picks up asap....

ALSO...
I decided I wanted something a little faster than axial had to offer (in RTR version) for my son and i to bash with so I picked up a new stampede 4wd VXL and shortly later (Literally 15 min after I bought it) as luck would have it I ran across an amazing deal on a slightly used 2wd VXL stampede for $180... whats a guy supposed to do...? Well I did what most of you guys would do and bought it too... Its crazy how addictive this hobby is ... 2 weeks ago I wasnt into RC at all and now I have 3 awesome rigs...
And as luck would have it I ran across an amazing dea

Old 12-11-2013, 07:30 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Some pics of the lexan windows I built and tinted... I also picked up a old losi nitro 4wd truck today and modded my stock deadbolt body for it... not bad for an old basher

Attached Images

Old 12-25-2013, 04:14 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Update: The snow finally lifted and I was able to run it with all the new upgrades ...and WOW this thing climbs like spidey... the combination of the 27t motor and the overdrive made it very controllable on inclines the castle link makes it a breeze to tune the rig and the hobbico cs-170 has amazing torque...

deadbolt build addiction - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is the likelihood of a Deadbolt kit? rj_dio Axial AX10 2nd-gen 1 12-02-2013 06:46 PM
Axial AX10 Deadbolt Lentsnh2012 General Crawlers 4 10-29-2013 12:10 PM
Rylands new AX10 Deadbolt jason Videos! 0 10-25-2013 11:33 AM