Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: Flat skid for the Capra?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2019, 06:36 AM   #21
Custom Carbon Fiber

Default Re: Flat skid for the Capra?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mett1971 View Post
Using a flat skid is not really lifting the trans up higher. It depends on how you look at it. To me it seems your actually lowering the the tube chassis and everything connected to it. With some shorter shocks your dropping the cog IMO. Not really changing the belly clearance at all.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
Thats kind of how I would see it too. With the stock 4'' (rough measuement) shock and No limiters you should be able to droop out for clearance. Or at least get some bite to waddle off it.

It sounds like many are doing opposite of their intentions. Limit the shocks to level the links then want a flat skid for clearance. Cant have both sorry

Or stop trying to do MOA lines
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2019, 11:59 AM   #22
RCC Addict

Hmm... I just ran a pack through the Capra with shaved 2.2" Hyrax's borrowed from another car. I don't hate it, but it's getting a bit too close to becoming just a "better Wraith."

Besides being out of proportion, it mostly accomplished what I had in mind. I just hadn't been planning on going with 2.2"s, but instead trying to stick with 4.75" tires. My .185 hubs were a tiny bit too narrow, but .225 or .350 should keep it under/near 11" wide and hopefully not grab the front of the cage at full stuff/full lock, at least not so bad. I think a 5.25-5.5" tire could get away with the .185" hubs and drop the car down a smidge. I'm not going to rush out and buy new tires, but the idea is definitely in my back pocket.

Just the tire swap took me from 2.75" to 3.25" under the belly. It still hits regularly, but it no longer beaches itself everytime it looks at a square breakover, so it's definitely better in that regard. Downside is that the COG is raised more than if just the skid had been raised since now the axles/chassis/battery/electronics are all 1/2" higher instead of just the skid/trans/motor. The clutch also squeals/slips much more frequently with the taller tires. I'd still like to experiment with a flat skid and the shorter tires if/when something comes to market.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 12:43 PM   #23
RCC Addict

Let ME ask the stupid newb question: Do you dare shorten the wheelbase to accomplish the same thing as larger tires or higher skid? Could you lose 1/2" and still keep the rubber side down? What is the stock weight bias to figure which end to shorten if viable?
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 01:19 PM   #24
RCC Addict

Well, one could shorten the wheelbase (taken out of the front would be the better option to shift the weight bias forward) but it's going to take a lot more than 1/2" to get the same gains in breakover angle as you'd get from a flat skid or 2.2"s. Even then, with the COG as high as it is, you'd need to run an even higher amount of front weight bias to keep the front end down on steep climbs. I've run cars from ~10" -15" wheelbase and just prefer the way that 12.25"-13.25" w.b., 10.5"-11" wide, 3"-3.25" belly clearance handle (big tires/longer/wider/higher or slightly smaller tires/shorter/narrower/lower.) I'd rather not shorten the Capra since it's already in my sweet spot for length and width, and with 2.2"s, height too.

I did exactly that on my Wraith (~3/4" shorter front links, ~1/4" longer rear links) and really like the way it drives, but that still landed me with a 13"+ wheelbase. That, along with a tummy tuck (like a flat skid would accomplish on the Capra) lots of knuckle/axle weight (62-63% front weight bias), 59° of steering, an ar44 based rear axle, and no scale b.s. is where my bar is set to compare the Capra's performance. I've never tried to set up a 1.9" car for more serious performance, but the desire to at least try is there with the Capra platform. Keeping the 2.2"s on and adding knuckle weight may very well surpass said Wraith, but I kinda wanna see it happen on 1.9"s.

We'll see, this thing is new enough that I think most of us are trying to wait patiently to see what parts come out for it, and watching others' to see what setups work... or don't.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 02:35 PM   #25
Rock Stacker

Default Flat skid for the Capra?

Hello!

Well i changed to the flat skid, no portals and shortened the shocks to 85mm.

I saved 9mm on the skid but went down about 2cm with shocks and also lost the clearance from portal axle....

my plan to have a small, fun little backpack truck went pretty well.

I understand everyone who don’t want to raise the transmission, i am a comp guy to and i hate high rigs... the capra out of box is extremely high but on the other side it’s like on the bomber that boatsides in combination with that low skid is unnecessary in my opinion

Better lowering the whole truck and get better cog out of it

Last edited by trialpsycho; 10-15-2019 at 02:58 PM.
trialpsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 02:53 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

^^ I can see 1/10 of those pictures... Tire tread looks nice. Good lord, 800x600 please!
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 02:58 PM   #27
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
^^ I can see 1/10 of those pictures... Tire tread looks nice. Good lord, 800x600 please!

Sorry... pics updated... Tapatalk makes them crazy small i guess
Old 10-15-2019, 04:17 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

Do you think 2 screws is enough to keep the trans firmly mounted?
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 02:24 AM   #29
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Dawg View Post
Do you think 2 screws is enough to keep the trans firmly mounted?

Was just to testfit.. drilled already two more

Flat skid for the Capra? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gen 8 flat skid plate tesed! shenlonco Redcat Crawlers 7 02-22-2019 07:35 AM
Flat skid for dummies Otto Man General Crawlers 2 01-14-2006 07:19 PM