Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: Flat skid for the Capra?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2019, 12:09 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Flat skid for the Capra?

Is anyone making a flat skid for the Capra yet? I saw Trialpscho's printed skid: Capra Scx10ii width + element overdrive transmission and it looks like it would do the job well, but it's setup for a different transmission. More belly clearance is high on my list of wants for this car so I'd buy one right now if somebody knows of any?
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2019, 12:45 PM   #2

Default Re: Flat skid for the Capra?

that skid is blank from what I saw. It is meant so you can drill your own holes for whatever trans you choose.
Broc's RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 01:24 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Put 110mm shocks on it. I used traxxas trx4 long shocks but then you will be bending the lower rear links too
solo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 01:34 PM   #4

I’m sure lots of people will offer this downgrade.

I’ll personally take a 6mm lower transmission which is the heaviest component on the truck over a little belly rub.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 01:43 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post

I’ll personally take a 6mm lower transmission which is the heaviest component on the truck over a little belly rub.
It would be nice to have a flat skid with shorter shocks so that the links are still parallel to the ground and the cage with all of the electronics attached to it are all lowered.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 01:44 PM   #6
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:

Yup, a little change in driving style can fix a lot of things including a belly drag

Theres always taller tires
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 02:08 PM   #7
RCC Addict

No desire to run longer/taller shocks or the extra articulation that comes with them.

Come on Jato, I'm not a noob looking to make some monster truck monstrosity, but I would like to get more clearance and capability to go where my 2.2" car can go. I did sell my Bully2 after purchasing the Capra because I saw the potential to split the difference between my Wraith and the Bully, but a box stock kit is not what I had in mind. An extra 1/4" should make a big difference without hurting COG too much, and I'm sure the aftermarket is frantically working on knuckle weights/heavy knuckles that will more than compensate for the increased height of my stubby motor. As it is, getting hung up on the belly is the biggest hold back on my home course, followed by the weight bias currently being too far rearward.

How much belly clearance does your Capra have Robbob? Taller tires are a definite possibility.
Old 10-14-2019, 02:23 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Yup, a little change in driving style can fix a lot of things including a belly drag

Theres always taller tires
I put 2.2 wheels and tires on and it’s not bad that way which is why I went with the longer shocks it takes it to almost the same skid height as 2.2. But now the front of the rear links drag which is why I said you would need bent links. Do agree a skid that sat a bit flatter would help a lot as would narrower axles
Old 10-14-2019, 02:41 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I see Robbob's skid at 3 1/8", but I don't know if that's at ride height? That's about what I'm hoping for +/- 1/8" as I'm at 2 3/4" now.
Old 10-14-2019, 02:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
No desire to run longer/taller shocks or the extra articulation that comes with them.

Come on Jato, I'm not a noob looking to make some monster truck monstrosity, but I would like to get more clearance and capability to go where my 2.2" car can go. I did sell my Bully2 after purchasing the Capra because I saw the potential to split the difference between my Wraith and the Bully, but a box stock kit is not what I had in mind. An extra 1/4" should make a big difference without hurting COG too much, and I'm sure the aftermarket is frantically working on knuckle weights/heavy knuckles that will more than compensate for the increased height of my stubby motor. As it is, getting hung up on the belly is the biggest hold back on my home course, followed by the weight bias currently being too far rearward.

How much belly clearance does your Capra have Robbob? Taller tires are a definite possibility.

You're on 2.2's? Flat skid definitely isn't needed in that case.

In my first run with my 1.9 Capra belly drag was rarely an issue.

We all have different driving styles and preferences, but I don't understand the desire for a flat skid on a portal rig. And this portal rig has a heavy ass transmission that I wouldn't want to raise, but that's me.
Old 10-14-2019, 02:54 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Well if you jack it up you’ll get a touch over 3”” with 110mm shocks you’ll get almost 3.5” so put a set of 100 mm shocks on it most 100 mm shocks have 25mm of travel same as a 90 mm shock. The 110 tracxas have 35 I think but you could adjust that to your liking. The only way to have the links level and have more skid clearance is with bigger tires
Old 10-14-2019, 02:59 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
You're on 2.2's? Flat skid definitely isn't needed in that case.

In my first run with my 1.9 Capra belly drag was rarely an issue.

We all have different driving styles and preferences, but I don't understand the desire for a flat skid on a portal rig. And this portal rig has a heavy ass transmission that I wouldn't want to raise, but that's me.
The need is for square edge break over when climbing. I have a trx4 with a power wagon body with 90 mm shocks that will climb over larger square edges than the Capra. Granted I’ve not tuned the Capra as much as the Trx but?
Old 10-14-2019, 03:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo1 View Post
The need is for square edge break over when climbing. I have a trx4 with a power wagon body with 90 mm shocks that will climb over larger square edges than the Capra. Granted I’ve not tuned the Capra as much as the Trx but?

I can take care of a little belly rub and breakover with a little bit of throttle.
Old 10-14-2019, 03:12 PM   #14
RCC Addict

No, mine's not on 2.2"s, but I'd like to see how close in performance I can get to that while still on 4.75" tires. I want it to go more places that so far I've only been able to get my 2.2" cars through. Not a full blown 2.2s, but I want far better than your average 1.9 scaler.
Old 10-14-2019, 03:18 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I can take care of a little belly rub and breakover with a little bit of throttle.
Not always. And I’m talking extreme stuff. Believe me I know how to drive. And as letter said I’m trying to make this go where 2.2s go on 1.9. I know it won’t go everywhere but I would like to get it as close as I can. I have a trx4 that comes close so I should be able to get this at least the same
Old 10-14-2019, 03:18 PM   #16

Quote:
No, mine's not on 2.2"s, but I'd like to see how close in performance I can get to that while still on 4.75" tires. I want it to go more places that so far I've only been able to get my 2.2" cars through. Not a full blown 2.2s, but I want far better than your average 1.9 scaler.

Ok it makes way more sense on 1.9's. It'll be interesting to hear what you think.

The problem with feedback of most mods is it's all feel. There's no quantitative data.
Old 10-14-2019, 03:20 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Careful, if Goats dont get the belly rub they demand you may get the horns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjBePuaq9PI

I'll let myself out
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 03:37 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Ok it makes way more sense on 1.9's. It'll be interesting to hear what you think.

The problem with feedback of most mods is it's all feel. There's no quantitative data.
Here is a link to a short vid of what a trx can do the only other vehicle I can get up this is my sporty and my pro trx is on 1.9 tires
https://m.facebook.com/story/graphql...IxMzUzMzk0OTcy
Old 10-15-2019, 05:45 AM   #19
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
I see Robbob's skid at 3 1/8", but I don't know if that's at ride height? That's about what I'm hoping for +/- 1/8" as I'm at 2 3/4" now.
Mines on 2.2's though .... Rovers are 5.5'' (ish)
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 06:29 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

Using a flat skid is not really lifting the trans up higher. It depends on how you look at it. To me it seems your actually lowering the the tube chassis and everything connected to it. With some shorter shocks your dropping the cog IMO. Not really changing the belly clearance at all.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
mett1971 is offline   Reply With Quote

Flat skid for the Capra? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gen 8 flat skid plate tesed! shenlonco Redcat Crawlers 7 02-22-2019 07:35 AM
Flat skid for dummies Otto Man General Crawlers 2 01-14-2006 07:19 PM