Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: A Capra build by B-MOW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2019, 09:23 AM   #1
Go Buckeyes!

Default A Capra build by B-MOW

Name:  IMG_4524.jpg
Views: 2588
Size:  179.9 KB

To be continued...
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2019, 10:12 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: A Capra build by B-MOW

Nice! I'll be watching yours!
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:25 AM   #3
Gold Star Baby!

Heck yeah B-Mow! Looking forward to this build.

Killer desktop background! Is that a shuttle launch in the middle?
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 12:54 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Shine on you crazy diamond.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 06:00 PM   #5
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
Nice! I'll be watching yours!
Looking forward to seeing yours too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
Heck yeah B-Mow! Looking forward to this build.

Killer desktop background! Is that a shuttle launch in the middle?
Yeah, took me long enough!

Thanks! Sure is the shuttle! It's a wallpaper that I've had on my computer and phones for years! Pink Floyd SUPER FAN here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Dawg View Post
Shine on you crazy diamond.
Wish You Were Here - 1975

The best album of that year!
Old 11-07-2019, 06:46 PM   #6
Go Buckeyes!

I'm a little late to the Capra party, but better late than never! I bought this a week ago, but haven't had much time to mess with it until the last couple days.

From the moment I heard about this new Axial rig I knew I had to have one. I have always wanted to get a Bomber ever since they came out, but never pulled the trigger on one. I know the Capra is nothing like the Bomber, but It does look somewhat similar and I like the fact that it is a 1.9 based rig.

I have enjoyed and have taken a ton of notes from the current Capra builds on here that have been built by some very talented builders and I my plan is to take what I have learned and throw them into this build.

I understand the manual was printed wrong, so the first thing I did was toss it out and download the most current manual of the web. There were a few things in the new version that looked odd to me, but nothing that I couldn't figure out.

My plan is to go into this build the cheapest way possible and down the road swap out the cheap for some nicer equipment/upgrades. (I have already spent way to much this year on my Marlin, VS4-10 PRO & Element Enduro, so I gotta try to build up this one a little slower!)

Here is a list of items that were ordered to get this build going:
- Holmes Hobbies Crawlmaster Sport 5-slot 16T
- Hobbywing 1080 ESC
- Amazon special 20kg servo (DS3218 PRO)
- VP 20mm servo horn
- Spektrum SX107 micro servo
- Team KNK Stainless screws
- SuperShafty aluminum servo mount
- 5x7x0.1mm Protek shims
- 3x5x0.1mm MST shims
- cheap Flysky receiver (I have one in my spare parts bin)
- odds and ends still need to be ordered once I find out what else is needed!

Name:  IMG_4526.jpg
Views: 2102
Size:  179.4 KB

Name:  IMG_4534.jpg
Views: 2070
Size:  165.9 KB

Name:  IMG_4535.jpg
Views: 2100
Size:  165.6 KB

More to follow...
Old 11-07-2019, 08:25 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I've got one of the Supershafty servo mounts on the way along with some of the SS versions of the MIP driveshafts (it should be here Saturday). Looking back I wished I had gotten one of the KNK screw kits, I don't know if I want to disassemble and reassemble it all now!
Lashlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:57 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
I'm a little late to the Capra party, but better late than never! I bought this a week ago, but haven't had much time to mess with it until the last couple days.

From the moment I heard about this new Axial rig I knew I had to have one. I have always wanted to get a Bomber ever since they came out, but never pulled the trigger on one. I know the Capra is nothing like the Bomber, but It does look somewhat similar and I like the fact that it is a 1.9 based rig.

I have enjoyed and have taken a ton of notes from the current Capra builds on here that have been built by some very talented builders and I my plan is to take what I have learned and throw them into this build.

I understand the manual was printed wrong, so the first thing I did was toss it out and download the most current manual of the web. There were a few things in the new version that looked odd to me, but nothing that I couldn't figure out.

My plan is to go into this build the cheapest way possible and down the road swap out the cheap for some nicer equipment/upgrades. (I have already spent way to much this year on my Marlin, VS4-10 PRO & Element Enduro, so I gotta try to build up this one a little slower!)

Here is a list of items that were ordered to get this build going:

- Holmes Hobbies Crawlmaster Sport 5-slot 16T

- Hobbywing 1080 ESC

- Amazon special 20kg servo (DS3218 PRO)

- VP 20mm servo horn

- Spektrum SX107 micro servo

- Team KNK Stainless screws

- SuperShafty aluminum servo mount

- 5x7x0.1mm Protek shims

- 3x5x0.1mm MST shims

- cheap Flysky receiver (I have one in my spare parts bin)

- odds and ends still need to be ordered once I find out what else is needed!

Attachment 384972

Attachment 384973

Attachment 384974

More to follow...
First, really looking forward to your build. Sometimes, coming "late to the game" can be an advantage, as you can learn from everyone else's 'mistakes'. The Capra is my first crawler (which I pre-ordered)...but, I've got a TF2 on the way, and that's been out for years, so I'll be able to apply things learned by everyone else on building the TF2, just as you're doing work the Capra. Enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lashlee View Post
I've got one of the Supershafty servo mounts on the way along with some of the SS versions of the MIP driveshafts (it should be here Saturday). Looking back I wished I had gotten one of the KNK screw kits, I don't know if I want to disassemble and reassemble it all now!
My SuperShafty servo mount arrived today...Yahoo. As for the screw kit, I'm curious about something. In one of the RCC threads, someone brought up screw materials (SS, carbon steel, Ti, & aluminum), and which was better for which purposes. The "general consensus" appeared to be that, for crawlers, carbon steel was the best (for off-road racing, a mix of To & carbon steel is the "winning combo"). However, now, I'm seeing people mentioning/buying the SS kits, and I'm wondering, is SS better than carbon steel in crawlers? Any 'assistance' in this matter will be appreciated.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:23 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Nice Brian. I see you're going with the HW1080 + Crawlmaster Sport 16T. I have that exact combo sitting here, and I'm trying to decide whether to use it, or go with the Hobbywing Axe 2300kv which is also sitting here...

I suppose I should start my build thread too. LOL!
Old 11-08-2019, 06:30 AM   #10
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lashlee View Post
The SuperShafty servo mount is nice! It will defiantly get rid of the flex I've been hearing about that the stock plastic mount has.

Team KNK SS screws are a must have for all of my builds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
First, really looking forward to your build. Sometimes, coming "late to the game" can be an advantage, as you can learn from everyone else's 'mistakes'. The Capra is my first crawler (which I pre-ordered)...but, I've got a TF2 on the way, and that's been out for years, so I'll be able to apply things learned by everyone else on building the TF2, just as you're doing work the Capra. Enjoy.

My SuperShafty servo mount arrived today...Yahoo. As for the screw kit, I'm curious about something. In one of the RCC threads, someone brought up screw materials (SS, carbon steel, Ti, & aluminum), and which was better for which purposes. The "general consensus" appeared to be that, for crawlers, carbon steel was the best (for off-road racing, a mix of To & carbon steel is the "winning combo"). However, now, I'm seeing people mentioning/buying the SS kits, and I'm wondering, is SS better than carbon steel in crawlers? Any 'assistance' in this matter will be appreciated.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Thanks Panther! That was actually part of my game plan. Wait to see how these new kits go together and adjust my build as needed!

I bought a TF2 Marlin Crawler earlier this year. Nice rig, but had issues out of the box. Had to disassemble, fix issues and reassemble. Check out my Marlin build thread on here to see what I had to do to mine.

As for the screws, I run Team KNK stainless steel screws in all of my rigs. I have never had issues with broken or stripped out screws. I am not a big fan of rust and rusty screws, so that is why I chose to go with stainless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
Nice Brian. I see you're going with the HW1080 + Crawlmaster Sport 16T. I have that exact combo sitting here, and I'm trying to decide whether to use it, or go with the Hobbywing Axe 2300kv which is also sitting here...

I suppose I should start my build thread too. LOL!
Thanks Soze!

I wanted to try something different in the Capra, so I decided to go brushed. I normally run brushless MambaX in all of my other rigs. I have had great luck with the HW 1080 ESC in the past and thought it would be a good choice for the Capra. I figured since the 1080 has a smaller footprint that it would fit better inside the tight spaces of the cage.

I was excited to hear about the new Crawlmaster Sport 16T and thought I should give it a try. Can't beat the price at $14.99!

Can't wait to follow along on your Capra build thread!
Old 11-08-2019, 07:01 AM   #11
Slow is the new Fast

Crawltastic B! Look forward to seeing the Tootsie Roll Mod!
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:00 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The SuperShafty servo mount is nice! It will defiantly get rid of the flex I've been hearing about that the stock plastic mount has.

Team KNK SS screws are a must have for all of my builds!

Thanks Panther! That was actually part of my game plan. Wait to see how these new kits go together and adjust my build as needed!

I bought a TF2 Marlin Crawler earlier this year. Nice rig, but had issues out of the box. Had to disassemble, fix issues and reassemble. Check out my Marlin build thread on here to see what I had to do to mine.

As for the screws, I run Team KNK stainless steel screws in all of my rigs. I have never had issues with broken or stripped out screws. I am not a big fan of rust and rusty screws, so that is why I chose to go with stainless.

Thanks Soze!

I wanted to try something different in the Capra, so I decided to go brushed. I normally run brushless MambaX in all of my other rigs. I have had great luck with the HW 1080 ESC in the past and thought it would be a good choice for the Capra. I figured since the 1080 has a smaller footprint that it would fit better inside the tight spaces of the cage.

I was excited to hear about the new Crawlmaster Sport 16T and thought I should give it a try. Can't beat the price at $14.99!

Can't wait to follow along on your Capra build thread!
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I didn't order the RTR, but the kit. I always prefer kits (when possible)... All my off-road racers (TLR) were kits, plus my T4. Only RTR I've purchased is a Rustler 4x4. Not only do I already have your TF2 Marlin thread bookmarked, also already had your VS4-10 Pro thread marked (as I'll be ordering one).

Panther6834 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:19 AM   #13
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
Crawltastic B! Look forward to seeing the Tootsie Roll Mod!
Thanks smog!

That's funny! I'm like, Tootsie Roll Mod, what! I must have missed something! Scrolled back thru and found that mod your talking about! This mod will be a sweet one! Actually, SuperShafty likes to give out candy with his orders!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
Thanks for the info. I didn't order the RTR, but the kit. I always prefer kits (when possible)... All my off-road racers (TLR) were kits, plus my T4. Only RTR I've purchased is a Rustler 4x4. Not only do I already have your TF2 Marlin thread bookmarked, also already had your VS4-10 Pro thread marked (as I'll be ordering one).

Hey, no problem! I don't normally buy RTR's either. I wish RC4WD would have offered the Marlin in Kit form. The only RTR's that I have ever bought was my Marilin and my Element Enduro. My first ever Kit I bought was the Kyosho Turbo Optima back in the late 80's. That was an awesome kit and I still kick myself for selling it years ago!

Thanks for following along in my other threads! Now that the weather is starting to get cold and nasty, I plan on updating them rigs with some new upgrades soon.
Old 11-18-2019, 06:56 AM   #14
Go Buckeyes!

Time for an update!

I haven't had much time lately to work on the Capra, but was I was able to sneak in a few minutes each day over the last week.

So to get this build up-to-date, here is what I have done so far.

Cage feels nice and sturdy after it is bolted together. I like the look of the material Axial used for this cage. It has more of a "flat finish" look to it compared to my Wraith and Yeti.
Name:  IMG_4528.jpg
Views: 1770
Size:  179.4 KB

Links went together easily and quickly. It seemed much easier to thread the links into these newly designed rod ends. I like the fact that the length can now be adjusted by turning the link in or out with the included hole in the link. It takes my way back-in-the-day when I ran my AE RC-10 Offraod buggy. It was nice to have the adjustable turnbuckles to tweak the camber/caster and toe in or out.
Name:  IMG_4529.jpg
Views: 1740
Size:  165.4 KB

Shocks went together nice. The feel really smooth and have not had any of them leak a drop of oil yet. I ended up using a piece of nitro fuel line on the shock shaft cut to 8mm length. That roughly get the total length of the shock to around 90mm long.

I took the advise from Dezfan and used the stock Element Enduro springs from my Enduro and added 60wt shock oil. They feel buttery smooth and should work well with the thicker oil. Thanks Dez for the tip!
Name:  IMG_4530.jpg
Views: 1720
Size:  169.0 KB

No problems building the axles. They went together good and seem to have a good steering angle with no binding at full lock. In the future, I may cut of the stops off and put a slight bend in the front steering link to get a few more degrees of steering.
Name:  IMG_4532.jpg
Views: 1699
Size:  171.4 KB

The trans went together fairly smooth. The manual was a little tricky to follow, but nothing that I couldn't handle. I did use the shims that SVT used in his build. I ended up using 4 shims in the idler gear case and it seems to have spaced it out just far enough so the gear will not rub on the case. Thanks SVT for that tip! I guess I will owe you a pizza too!
Name:  IMG_4533.jpg
Views: 1723
Size:  167.7 KB

I had an extra set of VP Method 101's with Hyrax G8 compound sitting on the shelf, so I figured these would be a good match for the Capra.

I picked up a set of VP clear beadlock rings to replace the black rings. I like the looks of the clear better than the black and they will look better with the paint scheme that I have planned for the body panels.
Name:  IMG_4537.jpg
Views: 1764
Size:  181.7 KB

Name:  IMG_4538.jpg
Views: 1840
Size:  179.6 KB

Yesterday I spent the day painting the body panels and interior. Also added wire extensions to the servo, ESC and DIG servo so that the would reach the receiver box/fuel cell in the rear.

I will post pics of them once I get the pics uploaded.

Thanks for looking! More to come later...
Old 11-18-2019, 08:32 AM   #15
Gold Star Baby!

Getting work done!

Good call on the clear rings, those wheels are killer with them on there. Enjoyable write up and thread as always.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 09:44 AM   #16
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
Getting work done!

Good call on the clear rings, those wheels are killer with them on there. Enjoyable write up and thread as always.
Slowly but surely!

Yeah, I think it helped the looks of them!

Thanks TB!
Old 11-18-2019, 10:22 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Looking good. What hubs did you use for the wheels and how is the clearance on the portals?
Ghonda99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:50 AM   #18
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghonda99 View Post
Looking good. What hubs did you use for the wheels and how is the clearance on the portals?
Thanks!

I'm using 350 hubs. Clearance looks good. I may try at set of 225's when I get some. Not sure though if the 225 will work.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 11-18-2019, 12:41 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Looking good man!
Old 11-18-2019, 01:11 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Looking good! 225 hubs work fine, I’ve got the same wheels but in orange on my Capra
Curb Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote

A Capra build by B-MOW - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Recycled build...SCX/Capra toyofast Axial Capra 29 06-14-2021 06:58 PM
Capra America: A Super Build by SVT svt923 Axial Capra 61 09-18-2020 07:08 AM
Starting my Capra build today edjo69 Axial Capra 10 10-22-2019 12:10 PM
New Capra build, need KV opinions edjo69 Axial Capra 20 10-19-2019 11:24 AM
innovative thinking MOW ZoSo Electronics 3 03-31-2016 11:54 AM