Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: Can dig be 3 position? Drive, lock and coast?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2020, 12:17 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Can dig be 3 position? Drive, lock and coast?

Can the dig on the capra be set up in three positions? Drive for 4wd, coast for front wheel drive and lock for turning? Or is it meant to be 2 postilion four wheel drive and lock?
terrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2020, 12:29 PM   #2

Default Re: Can dig be 3 position? Drive, lock and coast?

I have done it on a ttx325 but I haven't figured out my dx5c yet

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk
ndnjames13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:39 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Yes. Been covered a lot in another thread but likely dozens of pages back now.

What transmitter are you using?
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 05:57 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

3 position. 4wd, front wheel drive/ open rear, front wheel drive/ locked rear
Lanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 06:28 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Thanks guys. I'll do a little more searching. My kit was missing the little wedge adapter that mates to the splines on the servo and the other side of the servo arm. I happened to have an old kimbrough servo saver so I can make it work. But the ecopower servo I have is being a bit quirky.

The transmitter I'm using is a futaba 4PV.
Old 02-17-2020, 12:47 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible View Post
Thanks guys. I'll do a little more searching. My kit was missing the little wedge adapter that mates to the splines on the servo and the other side of the servo arm. I happened to have an old kimbrough servo saver so I can make it work. But the ecopower servo I have is being a bit quirky.

The transmitter I'm using is a futaba 4PV.
The 4PM is similar to my 7PX, and I did initially get the dig working as a 3-position. I used one of the DT knobs, setting the step to '100'. Unfortunately, due to "problems" with the Spektrum SX107 servo, the servo rarely centered properly so as to get the rear freewheeling position. For now, I've (temporarily) given up on it...but, once I determine a proper digital servo (the SX107 is analog), I'll give it another shot.

I've spoken with Futaba about this...specifically, with someone at Futaba who's into crawlers...and, it seems the best possibility would be an S.Bus/S.Bus2 servo, connected through the S.Bus/S.Bus2 port. I haven't yet had the time to check specs & dimensions, but the most likely possibilities are the following Futaba mini service m servos: BLS671SVi, BLS173SV, BLS173SVi, S3174SV & S3172SV.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 05:47 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Well I got it to work but it isn't very repeatable. I assigned the switch on the grip (ps2 I think) to be a two position toggle. Then I assigned DT4 as trim for that channel with 5 step increments. I used 5 because it took way to long at lower increments to get the servo to travel far enough.

I can go from 4wd to rear lock very easy but getting the position in between can be a pain. Plan on taking it out today so we will see if the coast position is even really needed.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:23 AM   #8

The dig can be 3 position. I feel like the Spektrum SX107 servo is too weak, coupled that with servo saver, it is too inconsistent as a 3 position. I have a FlySky GT3C hacked, with end points set up, I cannot get the dig to engage (locked rear).

I just ordered a Reefs 99, plan to eliminate the servo saver. That will give me more torque, and precision.
sleepyhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 10:07 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I've got mine functioning on my DX4C. It can be a bit fickle though.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 10:27 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyhatch View Post
The dig can be 3 position. I feel like the Spektrum SX107 servo is too weak, coupled that with servo saver, it is too inconsistent as a 3 position. I have a FlySky GT3C hacked, with end points set up, I cannot get the dig to engage (locked rear).

I just ordered a Reefs 99, plan to eliminate the servo saver. That will give me more torque, and precision.
You discovered exactly what I, and others, discovered. Good luck with the Reef's 99...others have had success with it, but, personally, I currently avoid Reef's. That's partly why I'm looking into Futaba mini servos...particularly S.Bus2 mini servos, which will be a LOT more accurate than analog servos, and even more accurate than typical digital servos.

In regards to the servo-saver, I could be wrong (still a crawler newb, but learning extremely quickly), but I don't think that's the real problem...it always returns the horn to the exact same spot (ie. the horn's position vs the servo's spline passion). Part of the problem, as many have realized, is that the SX107 is way too weak. I believe the other part of the equation is that the SX107 is an analog servo. For steering in crawlers, analog servos are probably fine...but, for a 3-position dig, 'precision' is required, which means digital servos. Just as with short course trucks, STs, truggys, buggies, VTA & USGT cars, and all other RC race vehicles, a 3-position dig should really be using a digital...NOT analog...servo.

Quickly touching on the torque matter, I have several TLR off-road vehicles, and something I learned early on is that Horizon Hobby's "recommended" servos are ALWAYS too weak for the intended application. Why, I can't say...but, for any Horizon Hobby vehicle, if you ever compare the "recommended" servo against the servo in the photos for the same vehicle, you will (almost) always find a more powerful servo being used in the 'photo' vehicles. If you ever talk to any of the drivers of those vehicles, again, you will always find them using servos that are more powerful than the "recommended" servo...and that includes Horizon Hobby's own 'team drivers'...as the "recommended" servos are always too weak, and almost always too slow.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Old 02-18-2020, 07:59 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I'm looking into Futaba mini servos..
I've always heard that futaba "sandbags" their servos, in that, the servo can actually produce more torque than listed. I will 100% agree but, the price point on futaba is up there. I do love my 4pv and try to buy futaba when I can but I've had good luck with hitec for most applications.

A nice rigid mount for another brand of micro servo would be nice too. I've noticed quite a bit of flex out of the mount even with end points set. The servo can only do so much if what it's mounted to moves around.
Old 02-18-2020, 10:25 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible View Post
I've always heard that futaba "sandbags" their servos, in that, the servo can actually produce more torque than listed. I will 100% agree but, the price point on futaba is up there. I do love my 4pv and try to buy futaba when I can but I've had good luck with hitec for most applications.

A nice rigid mount for another brand of micro servo would be nice too. I've noticed quite a bit of flex out of the mount even with end points set. The servo can only do so much if what it's mounted to moves around.
There are machined servo mounts available, for the steering servo, as well as the dig servo. I'm drawing a blank on who's selling the "package" (both mounts), but I'm sure someone will chime in with that answer. As for servos in general, Hitec had been my 'go-to' for a while. While I have one Savox, a couple of Spektrums, and a few Futabas (soon to be more, once I've built this second Capra), most of my vehicles are running Hitec.

There was a point I was considering switching to Savox...I even created a thread, raising that very question...but, the consensus was to stick with Hitec. The primary reason I'll be running Futaba in the 2nd Capra (steering), and looking into Futaba for the 1st & 3rd (dig only) is because of the extreme accuracy when connected via the S.Bus/S.Bus2 port.

As accurate as T-FHSS SR mode is (compared to T-FHSS), the S.Bus/S.Bus2 is more accurate. Speed-wise, both are equally 'fast'...but, Futaba does now have something faster - their new FASSTest technology, although, that's specific to their air transmitters.

Last edited by Panther6834; 02-18-2020 at 11:32 AM.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:00 PM   #13

i set mine up for this using the stock controller. only problem is it goes from 4x4 to rear locked skipping over the free wheel unless i start at rear lock then it will go into free wheel then 4x4 mode.
turboturro88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 12:01 PM   #14

SSD makes the servo mount package, steering and dig servo mounts. I bought it from Amain, they are great, and cheap too.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/ssd-rc-...00394/p1155898

My Reefs 99 will be here Friday, will swap out the Spektrum SX107 this weekend.
sleepyhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 10:47 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboturro88 View Post
i set mine up for this using the stock controller. only problem is it goes from 4x4 to rear locked skipping over the free wheel unless i start at rear lock then it will go into free wheel then 4x4 mode.
If you start at rear locked, switch to freewheeling, then switch to 4WD, what happens if you two to switch it back to rear freewheeling? Does it go to freewheeling? Or, does it go immediately to locked rear?

Old 02-20-2020, 06:24 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Actually not a problem. That is how mine works using Spektrum Rugged and Reefs 99 micro servo. Such switching is referred to as "Cyclic" on the Rugged.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 07:48 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
If you start at rear locked, switch to freewheeling, then switch to 4WD, what happens if you two to switch it back to rear freewheeling? Does it go to freewheeling? Or, does it go immediately to locked rear?

it would go back into locked.
turboturro88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 08:06 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
it would go back into locked.
In other words, you don't have the '3-position' set up properly...or, you're having the exact same problem that most of us have had when trying to get 3-position to work with the SX107, which brings me right back to what I said earlier about analog vs digital servos.

I'm not trying to put Horizon Hobby, it any of their brands, down. As I've explained several times, in multiple threads, and in multiple forums, Horizon Hobby is known for "recommending" servos that are considerably less powerful than what should truly be needed. Additionally, there's the matter of analog servos being less accurate than digital servos. While I can see using analog servos for steering on a crawler, i would NEVER out an analog servo into one of my race vehicles. Likewise, one shouldn't be used in a 3-position dig...2-position, yes, but 3-position, no.

Old 02-21-2020, 10:40 AM   #19
RCC Addict

I think part of the difficulty of setting it up as a 3 position is the flex of the dig servo mount. It may consistently hold its settings when pulling, but when it pushes (or vice versa), the servo kinda leans the opposite way and the same degree of rotation at the servo will have the shift rod in a different spot. With such a narrow range between the 3 positions, that little bit of flex can cause a lot of headaches.

I don't know if either will 100% fix that issue (though they certainly couldn't hurt) but SSD makes an aluminum servo mount set, and there's at least one 3d printed skid that has the dig servo mounts incorporated into the skid.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 06:02 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

I built a Capra over the last couple days. I got the Dig set up to be 3 position using a 7px transmitter and a generic mg90s micro servo.

I used a plain servo horn with the post mounted far enough out that it was nearly hitting the far side of the yoke when the arm was perpendicular to the servo.

I found that having the post centered when perpendicular caused the linkage to bind on the way towards locked rear as the arc of the horn travel was pulling the linkage towards the servo.

I used dt4 and started by setting the center point with the sub trim function. Then I set it to 100 step to make it 3-position and used end point to adjust the travel independently in each direction. It took some tweaking, but now it consistently moves between all 3 positions as expected.
aconsola is offline   Reply With Quote

Can dig be 3 position? Drive, lock and coast? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Modified***** Rocker Dig ***to LOCK whells DIG loverichey Electronics 12 08-13-2012 11:07 AM
AX10 MIP C Drive dig drive shafts in stock! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 1 12-03-2009 10:50 PM
TQ3 for 3 position dig MNorby Electronics 11 01-26-2009 06:14 AM
2 Position Dig Harvo Newbie General 11 09-01-2008 09:00 PM