Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: Best shock setup for Steep climbs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2020, 02:32 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Best shock setup for Steep climbs

I limited my stock shocks 98 mm down to 92 mm, and I'm suspicious that I should go even shorter. Wondering how short shocks have you been running , & how do you like it?

Is anyone running different lengths shocks in the front then in the rear?

I asked, because I'm experiencing a bit of torque twist, and some back roll, when I'm cresting a steep ledge. Even overdrive gears and brass knuckles haven't dialed out the problem. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
J.DUKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2020, 03:08 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Best shock setup for Steep climbs

Are you running a firmer spring out back? That can help with weight transfer on steep climbs. You could also look in to the Super Shafty upper link mount. Designed to provide anti squat at the back end. I’d be reluctant to limit your travel or go too much shorter. Any benefit you might gain would be lost on lack of skid clearance imho.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 03:56 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
Are you running a firmer spring out back? That can help with weight transfer on steep climbs. You could also look in to the Super Shafty upper link mount. Designed to provide anti squat at the back end. I’d be reluctant to limit your travel or go too much shorter. Any benefit you might gain would be lost on lack of skid clearance imho.
Yeah, thx!
Trying to dig up some reviews on it.
The description is spot on for what I'm trying to accomplish.

I'm still feeling like shorter front shocks might help. I've seen some class 1 scalers do insane climbs set up well with minimal travel, around 2/3 of a tire height.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
J.DUKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 04:50 PM   #4

I believe 92mm shocks will make your links slant up rather than be parallel to the ground. You don't want to go lower than parallel IMO. My shocks are limited to around 95mm if I'm remembering correctly.

Suspension is very personal and you will definitely have to test and tune.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 06:12 PM   #5
RCC Addict

You want shorter shocks? Take some of those wire trash bag ties and make some hokey limit straps. You can test the short shock theory with no $$ out of pocket.
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 07:33 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Something you will learn playin with these rigs is everything is a give and take
And i can stand my capra less than 2” of straight up and down and still go up
On full length shocks. And the finer your setup the finer the adjustments youll
Be making. Also youll find that you may have trouble on 1 line clean the next easily
Make a small adjustment and clean the 1 st line easily and have a hard time on
The next.
solo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 04:23 AM   #7
Wwk

I'm running 90 mm shocks in front and 100 mm rear with 65 % sag (soft springs). I want to move rear shocks upper mount about 3-5 mm higher, but I don't think it is necessary. Now it performs very well for my needs in lava fields, doesn't matter it is on 2.2 or 1.9".

Links are intheworksRC high clearence.

Wwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 06:08 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

For my first Capra, I'm running the 90mm Desert Lizards w/ 2mm of internal limiters, and the "no droop" spring configuration. Springs are 'soft' up front, and 'medium' in the rear. Because of the heavier weight of this rig (partly due to the Stormtrooper I installed as driver & navigator), I'm running 30wt front, 40wt rear. This rig is for trails & basic crawling only, so I'm ok with the slightly stiffer shocks (plus, it was my first crawler, and I didn't really know what I was doing...so, I might change the oil).

For my (just completed) second Capra, I'm running the 3.75" DluxFab Dravtech shocks w/ 4mm internal limiters, and the same soft/medium spring configuration. However, to shorten the overall length, I also replaced the 'cap mod' caps with standard 4Tec 2.0 caps. With this rig being lighter, I'm running 25wt in front, and 32.5wt in the rear. Also, since this rig was built to be a C3 rig, I figured slightly softer shocks might perform better. I'll be in Vegas before the afternoon, and will give her some thorough testing before heading back to the SF Bay Area.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Last edited by Panther6834; 03-18-2020 at 06:17 AM.
Panther6834 is online now   Reply With Quote

Best shock setup for Steep climbs - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Front lifts on steep climbs SINister RC4WD Bully 42 01-05-2012 01:51 PM
Shock Setup? rcjackson0926 Axial XR10 6 12-31-2010 07:15 PM
just pulled off some insane steep climbs! TNCrawler Duratrax Cliff Climber 7 09-11-2009 09:21 PM
How to make a rig more stable on STEEP climbs jcboof General Crawlers 4 01-19-2009 07:41 PM
My Highlift steep hill climbs... 96ram85chevy Videos! 8 10-16-2006 03:53 AM