Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: Battery tray?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2020, 09:30 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Battery tray?

Now maybe I’m just being whiny, or difficult, or whatever you want to say lol but I can’t believe the Capra has been out since September and there’s no one that makes some sort of aftermarket battery tray option.
I know we’re stuck at how wide it can be, but if someone made different bracket to allow a deeper pack I’d be all over it. If I was technologically inclined and had a 3D printer I’d attempt something but I’m not. So I’m ranting about it here instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fricker08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2020, 10:10 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Battery tray?

I'm not sure how much deeper you could actually go since the front drive shaft comes quite close to the bottom of the stock tray at full compression.
mjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 11:03 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I don’t mean deeper down, but deeper as outwards Towards the cab area. There’s quite a bit of empty real estate back there. All it would need is the tray plate that screws in already to be able to adjust a bit further back.
But looking at it, that might not even matter because the gap between the cage and the shock tower might not allow any thicker of a pack.
I just picked up a turnigy 2s 4200mah 65c that uses bullet connectors and it doesn’t fit because of the connectors. Physically the battery is the same size as the reedy 2s wolfpack. So I’m going to buy some low profile bullet connectors and make my own harness. But I have already trimmed the removable tray portion so my wires and crammed and pinched in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fricker08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 12:06 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Pop that sliding tray out and see what happens. Maybe it won't allow a bigger pack, or maybe you can run without it and strap the battery to the front bulkhead. Curious to hear what you find. Still building mine and the only battery I have is a 1000mAh 2S pack so it's already dwarfed in there no matter what I do.
rbronco21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 01:32 PM   #5
Custom Carbon Fiber

Design one .... have shapeways print it.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 04:20 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I actually went the other way!..

Knew I’d be running smaller packs - had a load of 850mah - and wanted to lower the cog...

Mk1.

http://https://i.imgur.com/kVG8v7O.jpg

Mk2 will see the battery moved to between the 2 front wheel wells nice and low still but a lot easier to access! Haha...

But yes, you have plenty of space back towards the cab if you can squeeze a bigger battery in 👍

Last edited by stimpy; 05-13-2020 at 04:24 AM.
stimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 09:32 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
Knew I’d be running smaller packs - had a load of 850mah - and wanted to lower the cog...
Mk2 will see the battery moved to between the 2 front wheel wells nice and low still but a lot easier to access! Haha...
How much run time do you get from 850? 3S?

Do you plan on putting the battery behind the servo to clear it? I think that may be a better option, too, and that might leave room under the dash for my ESC. Start a thread with this mod or post here please. I'd like to see how it goes.
rbronco21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 03:52 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Hey up..

Apologies was in a bit of a rush last time! I see my link didn't work properly - not sure what I did wrong - very new to pics - not forums!..

As I said my next position will be between the inner arches heading out towards the servo. My 850 packs will fit just up to the last bit of bracing for support. There will need a wee bit of trimming to the cage / bulkhead connections to get the battery flat but nothing drastic!..

Run time... I've only been out with it with the boy and he's always up to something else so I've not actually changed batteries for an hr but id have to guess actual run time to be 30 mins maybe?? I can check next time I go out, though the truck is gonna be on the bench now probably for a bit as I make some changes...

Theres some of the build of it on an (ahem) English forum! MSUK - crawler section...

Oh, and apologies for hijacking this thread
stimpy is offline   Reply With Quote

Battery tray? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Battery Tray sgtlt Vaterra Ascender 10 02-03-2019 09:48 AM
Securing a smaller battery in the stock battery tray Skroober Axial SCX10 II 8 12-05-2017 07:15 AM
Bomber battery tray wont fit new Lipo battery rock1997 Axial RR10 Bomber 10 08-20-2016 10:36 AM
Battery tray & battery options? Mysterious Axial XR10 10 02-18-2012 01:13 PM