Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: What is the benefit to the Capra trans?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2020, 10:06 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default What is the benefit to the Capra trans?

I'm building a capra from a used $25 cage on up. It didn't come with a skid. I have most of the pieces to build a wraith trans, but I'd have to purchase the dig unit, which looks very similar to the Capra dig unit.

Questions for the masses is... any reason I can't use a wraith trans in the capra? I dont care if the interior fits.

If this is feasible, which skid makes the most sense?

Is there anything about the Capra trans that makes it better than a wraith trans? I'm not keen on the capra's external idler gear, and I'd like a bit more total gear reduction, which I believe the Axial 3 gear offers.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2020, 10:14 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: What is the benefit to the Capra trans?

You can use the wraith skid and trans, however it needs to be moved front or back (don’t remember which), the sides of the skid also need trimmed to fit in the Capra cage. I personally didn’t do this , however one of the guys I crawl with mated a wraith and Capra. It’s quite a bit of work but it works well
crazy nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 05:09 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: What is the benefit to the Capra trans?

The biggest problem with the Capra transmission is that it is geared quite high and you're limited to only changing pinions for gear ratio adjustments.

I don't have a Wraith transmission but it looks like it is about the same length or maybe a bit longer than the AX10 transmission with a DIG which I do have. I originally had it in the Capra on a 3D printed skid but with a full size servo for the dig it was too long and I couldn't move it far enough forward without getting into the battery tray. I ended up making a bracket for a micro servo and then it just barely fit. UCFab makes an angled bracket now that allows you to use a full sized servo on the AX10 with the Vanquish DIG and fit it in the Capra but it doesn't look like it would work on the Wraith transmission. https://www.ultracustomfab.com/produ...unt/11?cs=true
Here's a few pictures of the AX10 in the Capra to give you some ideas.
Attached Images

Last edited by mjensen; 08-17-2020 at 04:58 AM.
mjensen is offline   Reply With Quote

What is the benefit to the Capra trans? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VFD Capra...Can I Still Call It A Capra? mjensen Axial Capra 107 11-20-2021 03:56 AM
Capra trans & straight axle gearing...help Robotboy General Crawlers 3 02-16-2020 08:23 AM
Benefit of a new chassis???? 73bronco Axial AX-10 Scorpion 3 09-11-2010 12:00 AM
Is there any benefit for what I am doing? O.C.D. 1.9 Scale Rigs 13 07-03-2008 11:37 PM