Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: What shocks are you running on your Capra?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2020, 05:41 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default What shocks are you running on your Capra?

I want to replace the leaky stock shocks that came on my RTR with something better. But being out of the loop for a several years now, I dunno what's hot and what's not? So I thought I'd ask everyone what they're running in their Capra to help me get some ideas.
NeoPyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2020, 05:48 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoPyro View Post
I want to replace the leaky stock shocks that came on my RTR with something better. But being out of the loop for a several years now, I dunno what's hot and what's not? So I thought I'd ask everyone what they're running in their Capra to help me get some ideas.

I just got Pro-Line Pro-Spec Scaler Shocks (90mm-95mm) PRO6316-01.
Not tried them out yet but should do this weekend. Running 30 weight in them and only the 90mm rodend for now.

I’m also new at this so may of messed up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mackied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 09:36 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: What shocks are you running on your Capra?

Running 90mm Desert Lizards on one Capra, and 3.75" Dravtechs (with internal limiters) on the other Capra.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 03:54 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

How did you go about mounting the shocks to the chassis? Did you have to use the included 12.75mm pivot balls?
NeoPyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 03:59 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoPyro View Post
How did you go about mounting the shocks to the chassis? Did you have to use the included 12.75mm pivot balls?
I'm not entirely certain how others have mounted then, but if assume they, like myself, used the "extended length" pivot balls for the tops of all 4 shocks. I'm guessing they were made that length so as to keep the shocks as upright (left/right) as possible. In the front, this probably also helps keep the tops of the shocks away from the vehicle's cage/frame.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 09:00 AM   #6

Mounted my internal spring ones without the spacers, as they were narrower than the original. They’re a little close in the back but not the front.

I picked the 90mm ones and filled them with 30wt oil and I like them so far:

Edit: I realized that I hadn’t mentioned which shocks they were. Picked up these RCLions 90mm on Amazon. All aluminum body, nicely machined actually. Comes with 3 different springs (left the stock ones in), but no oil, of course. So far, no leaking at all, but then I never overfill shocks, which I believe to be one of the hidden causes of shock leaks! The one caveat is that the balls are really, really difficult to remove (shock pliers would definitely help, and I’ve got them on order!) but the shocks clear the cage by about 1mm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by Alex T; 06-23-2020 at 05:50 PM.
Alex T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 10:59 AM   #7

SSD 90MM scale shocks with Enduro White springs

Neezy916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 02:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezy916 View Post
SSD 90MM scale shocks with Enduro White springs
Are the SSD’s compatible with Axial/Element springs do you happen to know? Any leaking?
rtsbasic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 11:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtsbasic View Post
Are the SSD’s compatible with Axial/Element springs do you happen to know? Any leaking?
Yes both axial and element enduro springs fit, the enduro springs being just a few millimeters shorter. So far no leaks packed with proline o ring grease.
Neezy916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 02:20 PM   #10

I'm running stock shocks and springs (RED from the RTR). They leak like an upside-down bottle of oil with the cap removed. I will change them soon to stop dumping oil all over the place. Looking here for ideas of what to change to. Thanks, everyone!
cannothas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 03:18 AM   #11
RCC Addict

I had previously run a set of take-off Traxxas GTS shocks from a trx4 sport. They were an improvement to be sure, but just weren't as smooth as what I was used to with some of my other setups.

I ended up running 90mm Traxxas GTS's with PTFE coated shock bodies, titanium nitride coated shafts, Yellow/.22 springs up front, white/.3 springs on the back with 45wt oil. I've switched back and forth between .22 and .3 on the back, but landed on the .3 with no preload, I'll likely switch back to .22 once I swap things over to my lighter High Altitude chassis. I used the pivot balls from the stock Capra shocks in the GTS shocks. I currently have brass Beef Tips (lower spring seats) for TRX4 on them, but to be honest, I don't really like the way they fit and will likely remove them since they limit travel more than I wanted as installed straight out of the package. This version of the GTS is on par with my similarly equipped modified Traxxas big bores (like the Dravtec shocks) with mini-t springs I have on another car, but slightly smaller in size...

that said, their cost is kinda steep and a set of Dravtec's represents a better value.

Last edited by TheLetterJ; 05-11-2022 at 03:24 AM.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 03:53 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Im running 90mm Desert Lizards on mine, setup softest springs and mid droop. Seems to work great
Damion10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 09:20 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

100mm desert lizards. Didn’t like losing the articulation with 90mm shocks. Everyone seems to not like desert lizards but they work great On the Capra. It’s about 6.5 lbs.

https://youtu.be/i1R6WG9y20Q

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fastgixxerlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 08:06 PM   #14

Running the stock shocks with pen springs under the piston in the front. Seems to work good so far
Njeffs8 is offline   Reply With Quote

What shocks are you running on your Capra? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Capra Shocks, Springs, and Oil Weights Panther6834 Axial Capra 42 04-05-2023 06:58 PM
VFD Capra...Can I Still Call It A Capra? mjensen Axial Capra 107 11-20-2021 03:56 AM
Capra shocks leak Mr. Crawley EC General Crawlers 5 12-16-2019 09:01 AM
What shocks you running? throttlejock27 Axial Wraith 161 06-06-2013 11:06 AM