Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Has anyone put a front sway bar on yet?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2016, 11:02 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Has anyone put a front sway bar on yet?

So I have already added my home made sway bar to the rear along with U/D gears front and rear so torque twist is pretty well gone. I am also running Pro-Line Powerstroke shocks, 4" in front and 5" in the rear.

Right now I have the shocks sprung and valved very light, mainly because I want to suspension to actually work when running across bumps at speed. I have found that while you will get articulation when set up stiffer, the actual high speed absorption suffers and right now I can run straight across a rough field pretty fast with the suspension actually working pretty well, it no longer bounces all over the place and it moves along pretty well with a Pro4 3300kv and 14/64 gearing on 3s.

The issue I have is roll. I am running the chassis pretty low, the front shock collars are all of the way up on the shock body and the rears are only down about 3/8" from the top to keep it level. Some of my roll issues were solved when I went from the stock foams that came in the 2.2 IROK tires to Duece's Wild tall foams, the tires no longer roll under when turning and this helped a lot. Now when I turn a corner it will lift the inside rear wheel but the front axle stays planted so I am thinking that maybe a small diameter front sway bar would help some without loosing a lot of the articulation that it has right now. There would be some loss, but the overall gain could be worth it.

So has anyone run a front sway bar yet or know of something that works? Fortunately the stock front shock mount on the axle is already set up for dual shocks so there is a mounting point there, I just need to find a place to mount the bar to the chassis. If someone has already done this though then I would like to see how they did it. Thanks!
USP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2016, 12:28 PM   #2

Default Re: Has anyone put a front sway bar on yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by USP45 View Post
The issue I have is roll. I am running the chassis pretty low, the front shock collars are all of the way up on the shock body and the rears are only down about 3/8" from the top to keep it level. Some of my roll issues were solved when I went from the stock foams that came in the 2.2 IROK tires to Duece's Wild tall foams, the tires no longer roll under when turning and this helped a lot. Now when I turn a corner it will lift the inside rear wheel but the front axle stays planted so I am thinking that maybe a small diameter front sway bar would help some without loosing a lot of the articulation that it has right now. There would be some loss, but the overall gain could be worth it.
First, I run the bomber mainly onroad, it made rolls in nearly all tight corners. I opened the diff in the front axle with the HPI diff. gear - itīs quite an improvement running onroad and in a skaterpark, rolls are no more an issue.

I will add a front swaybar, too. But it is not easy to find points to fix it. Hopefully someone can share his experiences ...
YJ-Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 12:39 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

DLux offers a front sway bar mount.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 02:02 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

simply drill two holes in the bumper and use wraith front sway, exo rear, or whatever you want
corefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 02:56 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I am going to take a closer look at it tonight, but thanks Screamer, I did not know DLux offered one. If I can find a way to do it then I will probably just make my own to experiment with like I did the rear.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:22 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I saw this pic on FB of a home brewed mount for the Dlux sway bar but a wraith or exo bar could work also.

It appears to use a couple of parts from an SCX10 Wrangler parts tree AX80123

And as Screamer says there the UCFab brackets from Dlux also, they mount to the front & pick up from the bumper mount.
https://dluxfab.ecwid.com/#!/Bomber-...egory=12405705
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 06:52 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Hey altd, I have those part.....
Old 02-16-2016, 09:06 PM   #8

I have the Dlux Universal Sway Bar on the front. It took me a while to figure out how to mount it until I found this picture. PM me if you have questions.
TEMPLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:32 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Also at SuperShafty if you were shopping there
UC Fab Sway Bar Mount - Super Shafty

And another couple of pics that could be useful

altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 03:36 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I think a front sway bar would be fine for your setup but with a locked front, it will understeer REALLY bad.
generalee7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 10:03 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I think it will as well, but nothing a quick blip of the throttle cannot fix...

More than the low speed turning I really need to work on higher speed roll. My steering angle is pretty good right now (I could rub tires until I backed the epa down a bit) so I can live with a little push, I am just tired of having to put it back on all four when I go into a turn a little hot.

Has anyone put a front sway bar on yet? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dhawk bulkhead with Hotracing front front sway bar mond Axial Yeti XL 7 09-19-2015 08:44 AM
Front sway bar simpscx10 Axial Yeti 1 12-29-2014 08:04 PM
If using single sway bar where to put? front or rear? ZippoMan Axial Wraith 22 04-21-2014 08:07 AM
Install or not? Front Sway Bar Blinkfan5150 Vaterra Twin Hammers 3 03-27-2013 03:27 PM