Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Keep breaking servos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2016, 06:39 PM   #1

Default Keep breaking servos

Ok, I've had my bomber for a month or so now and I keep having bad luck with steering servos. Keep in mind I've got an scx10 and yeti xl, both of those have reasonable servo life, months to a year or two.
This damn bomber is not the same story. I've killed 4 servos in the month I've had it. It is brushless, HH PP 3500kv, but I only run 2s for now and use a 14 or 15 tooth motor pinion. Good speed but not crazy, decent slow control as well.
Stock tactic died in first day of real trailing, not suprised at all. Threw in a "waterproof" savox and it survived a battery pack, then broke. Tossed in the scx10 hs5585mh, which has had a long and hard life, but kept working, and my buddy hit something and broke the case mounting ears off one side. That hitec still works, just broken case. I bought a d645mw hitec and vanquish servo armor, broke the new d series hitec in 1 battery session in my backyard, which is dirt and two little shovel built jumps and whoops. It's a small area.

So wtf. I guess I keep slamming into stuff with the servo and it's knocks them funny and broken. The motor inside still works, just disconnected from the out drive gears or something.
I'm looking at the dlux ar60 aluminum truss, but it's out of stock and I'd really like to drive this truck more than a 1hr at a time and then breakage. Mind you it's flawless as far and drive train and motor, just keep breaking servos.

Just venting and looking for suggestions to keep the truck up and running. I'm not driving hard or as fast at all compared to the yeti xl, and while it's got a few issues, I've never killed the 7950th hitec in it....
Keplinger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2016, 02:33 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Keep breaking servos

Put a decent servo like your 7950 in it and stop smashing servo first into stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
byrnieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:52 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Something like a savox 1230 or 1283 would be better suited since they have steel gears and alloy cases. The hitec 7950 is a solid choice as is a 7955.

I built a crawler for a friend and used dlux sporty trusses front and rear. The first day out he tumbled off a high rock (8' or so) and landed funny right on the bottom of his 7955 and shoved the servo right through the mounting ears.

I run a piece of thin and strong aluminum under my servos to not only act as a smooth skid plate but to help stop that from happening. My bouncer has a savox 1283 and it's low profile enough that it is flush with the bottom of the axle housing whill using the low profile posts to mount it. My crawler has a hitec 7980 and I mounted it on stock axial servo mounts to raise it up even with the bottom of the axle housing.

The skid can be seen here under the dlux sticker.

I may be a fanboy of Mr dlux's products.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:34 PM   #4

Hitec 9370th. I did the same. I broke 2 in 1 hour and then asked what the racers were running. It has been good so far.

Hopefully someone will design a stiff servo saver. I couldnt find one worth a shit.
TEMPLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:56 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Savox 1283, or any other servo with a metal front case. I was breaking 1230 cases at will, went to a 1283 years ago and never looked back. I'm hard on stuff, I think the only parts older than my servo are an MMP, BEC and my Powerstrokes.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:13 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Had great luck with a 7950 and a 7955 in my bomber. I have the aluminum mounting plate. I crashed into a massive rock doing about 35mph and that managed to snap the ears off my 7950, so I have since bought the servo clamps that vanquish makes.

I don't foresee any future problems. I think the only way you'd break either of those Hitecs is the plastic ears (replacement cases are only $9) and a servo clamp should solve that problem.
SoCal Crawlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:07 PM   #7

Thanks for all the replies, and ive had a few days of success with my old 5585 hitec, ive run a few packs thru and had no issues. I did manage to strip a wheel hex, but thats what the spare is for. Im going to commit and buy a higher end servo as soon as necessary, but so far so good.

and byrnieman, you seem to be correct, not running into objects servo first has improved my enjoyment of this truck immensely!

Again, thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions!
Keplinger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 01:15 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

The Savox SA1230SG has held up well in both my crawlers
and it costs less then some other high end HT/MG servos of near equal torque value.
Plus... it only requires 6v to produce 500 oz/in of torque

1/10 = 1.9 / 4.60" PL TSL SX tires...

somewhat overkill for 1.9's... but I like that

1/10 Wraith converted to 1/6 Jeep TJ = 2.2 / 5.80" PL TSL XL...

Turns these XL tires purdy well and has proven to be durable...
tho' an 600 oz/in servo would put me in the overkill mode.

!!
this servo is not waterproof !!
and so will require a little effort to ensure that it is.

You can break any servo if you hammer into things.

Last edited by TacoCrawler; 05-25-2016 at 01:27 AM.
TacoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:45 AM   #9

I had issues with servos but it was because non metal gear servos will break as soon as you run directly into something. I'm running the Hitec 7955 with Titanium Gears and it has plenty of power and hasn't failed me yet. If this one ever fails I"ll move to the 7950.
2Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 09:00 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Holmes Hobbies HV500

Holmes Hobbies HV500 Servo - Super Shafty

Great servo, great price, it's water friendly and in stock!

TrailMaster BLS-HV 500 Servo

Features:

Alloy Case
Brushless High Voltage
24cm servo lead
2s Lipo compatible (8.4v max)
1 Year Warranty

Specs:
Weight: 73g
Dimensions: 41x20x40mm
Spline: 25 tooth (Futaba type)
Torque @ 6v: xx.xkg/cm (360 oz/inch)
Speed @ 6v: 0.14 sec
Torque @ 7.4v: xx.xkg/cm (450 oz/inch)
Speed @ 7.4v: 0.12 sec
Torque @ 8.4v: xx.xkg/cm (500 oz/inch)
Speed @ 8.4v: 0.11 sec
Creepy Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 01:42 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by maslin View Post
Savox 1283, or any other servo with a metal front case. I was breaking 1230 cases at will, went to a 1283 years ago and never looked back. I'm hard on stuff, I think the only parts older than my servo are an MMP, BEC and my Powerstrokes.
I need to keep my mouth shut

Ripped the ears off the metal case today at lunch. Impressive 30' full speed end over end tumble
Old 05-27-2016, 01:51 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I need to keep my mouth shut

Ripped the ears off the metal case today at lunch. Impressive 30' full speed end over end tumble
We demand pictures for proof!
mikebecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 02:12 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebecher View Post
We demand pictures for proof!

The fire department next door has decided to use our crawling hill/race track for fire truck target practice. We trimmed down the rain forest, but the stumps left behind are plenty to upset an RC at full speed
Old 05-27-2016, 03:38 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:

The fire department next door has decided to use our crawling hill/race track for fire truck target practice. We trimmed down the rain forest, but the stumps left behind are plenty to upset an RC at full speed
Wow. Not bad! How in the heck do you get in to tighten that servo down? Must be a bit awkward?

Since you are the forum community declared "hardest on servo's" I'd really be interested to see how one of your servo's would hold up with aluminum mounts and clamps. Takes all the flex out entirely. Don't think there'd be any way to break only one side like you did.

Also, does your servo plate have the little adjustment on one side so that you can bring the mount in as close to the servo case as possible?

Last edited by DowntownScience; 05-27-2016 at 03:41 PM.
DowntownScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 04:26 PM   #15
RCC Addict

I install the servo with the upper link bolt out, then rock it back in place. I made that mount to move the servo back on the axle as far as possible, the mounts are right against the servo housing. I'm not sure a clamp would help much. The ears are very thick, but the area where the ears attach to the face is quite a bit thinner, and clearly cast. The ear is right on the edge of the part as well, very little support against tearing off.

Next step is something with a machined front case, Protek 170t has caught my eye. The piece looks more solid, and the ears are moved up away from the edge a bit. I have other rigs to move the 1283 to, which do not have the same effect on servos.

Old 05-29-2016, 01:18 PM   #16

I seem to be having the same issue too, gone through 2 savox 0213wp servos, changed out the gears in one and put it into the scx 10. Sacrificed the savox out of the yeti that has had no issues for a year, placed in the bomber and sounds like a gear issue again. Running a bec, proline bead locks and rock beast tires, aluminum upgrades such as links knuckles c hubs, somewhat heavy I guess but, just crawling mainly. I'm at a loss thinking of getting the savox 1210wp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
lgeldof21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 02:00 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Maslin - Bluebird BLS-H50B ( Full Aluminum Helical Brushless Digital Servo ) - Taildragger RC

$100 bucks. Should be back in stock any day now. Thinking about trying one too.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 02:12 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
Maslin - Bluebird BLS-H50B ( Full Aluminum Helical Brushless Digital Servo ) - Taildragger RC

$100 bucks. Should be back in stock any day now. Thinking about trying one too.
That's a nice looking servo. By all means, let's put some real-world thrashing into it.
mikebecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 03:17 PM   #19

Is this a joke???

Great for the price, but this was the servo that i broke 2 in 30 minutes. Thankfully, they replaced them.

You are obviously only crawling with these. Make the car tumble and get back to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creepy Inc. View Post
Holmes Hobbies HV500

Holmes Hobbies HV500 Servo - Super Shafty

Great servo, great price, it's water friendly and in stock!

TrailMaster BLS-HV 500 Servo

Features:

Alloy Case
Brushless High Voltage
24cm servo lead
2s Lipo compatible (8.4v max)
1 Year Warranty

Specs:
Weight: 73g
Dimensions: 41x20x40mm
Spline: 25 tooth (Futaba type)
Torque @ 6v: xx.xkg/cm (360 oz/inch)
Speed @ 6v: 0.14 sec
Torque @ 7.4v: xx.xkg/cm (450 oz/inch)
Speed @ 7.4v: 0.12 sec
Torque @ 8.4v: xx.xkg/cm (500 oz/inch)
Speed @ 8.4v: 0.11 sec
TEMPLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 05:51 PM   #20
RCC Addict

I like the look of that bluebird servo, the same parts of varying quality from 50 different people is getting old. I'll wait for them to be in stock and give it a shot, I've battled servo carnage for years now.

Edit: looks like rcmart has them at $97. I'll get one on the way.

Last edited by maslin; 05-29-2016 at 07:01 PM.

Keep breaking servos - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
anyone breaking universals twisted bender Axial XR10 37 01-11-2011 08:15 AM
Breaking Down house_Fly Chit Chat 5 12-12-2009 08:53 AM
Im tired of breaking Dickie691986 Newbie General 2 01-05-2008 04:20 PM