Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Keep breaking servos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2016, 08:25 PM   #61
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Keep breaking servos

Maslin - you try one of these? Curious if any good.

ProModeler Servo: 420oz, billet case, o-ringed, $79

Sent from a device in my hand that is smarter than me, and I don't know WTF I'm doing.
DowntownScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2016, 10:08 PM   #62
RCC Addict

Never tried the Promodeler, I've always been a Savox guy, until my frustration here. I have 10 or so other rigs with Savox servos that work fine.

I use the stock Axial plate and mounts flipped around backward. Grind the rear of the horn to clear. You don't need much room, there's no movement in that direction.

All mounted up, the USPS in Wisconsin has been fondling my Incision spool for 3 days, expected delivery date has come and gone. Hopefully it will be here soon.

maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:15 PM   #63
RCC Addict

All together. Doesn't seem anywhere near the stated speed, not a problem on this rig though. Beat down session starts tomorrow

Old 08-11-2016, 10:54 PM   #64
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I was wondering if the Bluebird was near the rated speed. There claimed specs would be over 4x the current of practically anything on the market, and unless they stacked two power boards there really isn't a way to keep that up for long. The feedback I have seen is that they can run really hot, hot enough to burn skin after 5 minutes on the rocks. That makes sense though, shoving a ton of current through would be the only way to get the expected power and the only way to make it so hot.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 11:26 PM   #65
I wanna be Dave

Default Keep breaking servos

These have my attention and I'm just a backyard hobbyist. If I can potentially save downtime and money replacing broken servos/housings then it'd be worthwhile. My other rigs are low speed crawlers that don't get the same abuse as this much faster Bomber. I don't comp and the heat generated shouldn't be an issue. The milled housing and larger looking gears is what really drew my attention. I'm going to strap mine down for now and if...when it dies this will likely be ordered.

Edit: I'm referring to this one.
http://www.audacitymodels.com/Produc...4/Default.aspx

Last edited by Brake Weight; 08-11-2016 at 11:31 PM.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 03:26 PM   #66
RCC Addict

Day one down with no casualties. Can't say it "feels" any stronger than a 300in/oz Savox, but who knows. Definitely quieter

Quick blast around the rock pile at work, the fire department next door keeps watering it and growing a 1/10 scale rain forest

Old 08-14-2016, 06:17 AM   #67
I wanna be Dave

I spotted this one last night. Chinese servo that's a little expensive to experiment with but sounds beefy. Poking about there, I saw a few that were milled aluminum, too. But I'm still leaning towards the one I linked earlier.
https://banggood.app.link/nJRkiKZFPv

#CamBrady2017
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:43 AM   #68
I wanna be Dave

Definitely go for the ProModeler 420oz v4 over that one, I would say.

420oz-in v4

Same price, but real RC professionals have put a lot of design, engineering, manufacturing, and testing into it.

It's been thrashed and highly recommended by many users here at this forum.

The main reason that I bought the pricey Holmes Hobbies SHV500 servo over it is because it negates the need for a BEC - runs directly off your 3S LiPo.

It's more expensive, and if you use other cell count LiPo batteries you have other considerations to take into account, but Holmes also updates their products to be among the very best.

I like clean and minimal wiring, that's why the SHV500 is for me - but I was seriously close to getting the ProModeler instead (even before it got bumped to the v4 version!).

If I decide to experiment with other batteries (2S or 4S) in my Bomber (or another vehicle in the future) I will get the ProModeler.

Reading their product page will inform on how much thought was truly put into that beast:

Captured O-rings (beneath the bearing, screw heads, between case sections), Allen bolts through the finned case milled from block 6061-T6, larger steel gears, brass inserts where steel shafts go in the case.

That said, I can't wait to run that Holmes Hobbies SHV500 - saves the cost of a Castle BEC, and the HV500 was already one of the best and most recommended servos here!

It's a stronger and faster than anyone running a Bomber (no matter how much it's been upgraded) really even needs... and even beats the ProModeler by a bit.

Last edited by durok; 08-14-2016 at 10:54 AM.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 12:09 PM   #69
Pebble Pounder

I have broken 2 Tactic TS 57 servos in the exact same place.

I know it's not the most expensive servo but I'm afraid if I buy an expensive one the same thing will happen. Do I need a servo saver or what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crawler505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 01:56 PM   #70
I wanna be Dave

No - practically no-one runs servo-savers on vehicles like the RR10. The Tactic servos are much too weak in multiple places (as well as having very low torque).

If you are on a budget - here is a good choice:

TowerHobbies.com | RC Gear Shop Hi-Volt UltraTorque Digital Servo Coreless

I highly recommend this one for an extra $20 , however:

420oz-in v4

Read this thread on that one - I highly doubt you'll need another! Over-engineered, super-strong, ultra-high quality:

Be aware that this company is right here in the good-ol' USA and has currently moved up to Version 4 which incorporated improvements each step of the way - the more you read the more you will see that this is a beast - better to buy 1 servo (to rule them all...lol) instead of constantly replacing them!

BTW - another thing that helps - I don't know if you've noticed but the plastic servo mount from Axial flexes and will break also... to really stiffen the front end, get something along these lines:

Vanquish AR60 Axle Servo Mount Black Anodized - Vanquish Products

Along with these:

Servo Clamp Black Anodized - Vanquish Products

Now, your servo will be locked in place instead of twisting when at it's limits.

Also pay attention to where your servo endpoints are on your radio.

Last edited by durok; 09-24-2016 at 02:07 PM. Reason: more info
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 02:29 PM   #71
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
No - practically no-one runs servo-savers on vehicles like the RR10. The Tactic servos are much too weak in multiple places (as well as having very low torque).

If you are on a budget - here is a good choice:

TowerHobbies.com | RC Gear Shop Hi-Volt UltraTorque Digital Servo Coreless

I highly recommend this one for an extra $20 , however:

420oz-in v4

Read this thread on that one - I highly doubt you'll need another! Over-engineered, super-strong, ultra-high quality:

Be aware that this company is right here in the good-ol' USA and has currently moved up to Version 4 which incorporated improvements each step of the way - the more you read the more you will see that this is a beast - better to buy 1 servo (to rule them all...lol) instead of constantly replacing them!

BTW - another thing that helps - I don't know if you've noticed but the plastic servo mount from Axial flexes and will break also... to really stiffen the front end, get something along these lines:

Vanquish AR60 Axle Servo Mount Black Anodized - Vanquish Products

Along with these:

Servo Clamp Black Anodized - Vanquish Products

Now, your servo will be locked in place instead of twisting when at it's limits.

Also pay attention to where your servo endpoints are on your radio.

Thank you. I will check this out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crawler505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 03:09 PM   #72
RCC Addict

Guess I should have put this here too, the h50b didn't last a full Lipo pack. Bent the center pin and separated the first gear.

Back to the 1283, mounted backward in a VP mount. I broke down the internal differences of a few servos in my build thread, I'll be sticking with the 1283 for now.

Old 09-24-2016, 04:52 PM   #73
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by maslin View Post
Guess I should have put this here too, the h50b didn't last a full Lipo pack. Bent the center pin and separated the first gear.

Back to the 1283, mounted backward in a VP mount. I broke down the internal differences of a few servos in my build thread, I'll be sticking with the 1283 for now.
Damn maslin, that didn't take long! I guess that shiny case couldn't hide a serious shortcoming. Thanks for putting this thing to the test and posting the carnage.
mikebecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 06:27 PM   #74
I wanna be Dave

I see this on a few servos, never the Promodeler ... I suspect the extra bushings solve that

HANG UP AND DRIVE !
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 08:29 PM   #75
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
I see this on a few servos, never the Promodeler ... I suspect the extra bushings solve that

HANG UP AND DRIVE !
The pins in the bluebird are all supported on ball bearings, I can't imagine they're much weaker laterally than brass bushings. Wear certainly wasn't the issue, made it just over an hour.

While the promodeler does seem to have a lot of upsides we need to consider how many are out there vs every other brand. You can find a thousand posts both positive and negative on hitec/savox/jr/protek/etc.

I didn't read one bad word about the bluebird, killed it almost immediately. I've always had great luck with savox gears and electronics, literally zero problems. Front cases are my only issue, the 1283 lasts much longer, maybe solved with the VP mount?

The 5 close ratio gears in the 1283 have so much more surface area holding them together.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:01 PM   #76
I wanna be Dave

Good luck finding any failures of the Promodeler .....a water failure, as noted. I have seen hundreds of these pin failures along with case failures from the expensive notables, even the Holmes has pin failures, time will tell, but John seems to understand our needs.....

HANG UP AND DRIVE !
Old 09-24-2016, 09:25 PM   #77
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Good luck finding any failures of the Promodeler .....a water failure, as noted. I have seen hundreds of these pin failures along with case failures from the expensive notables, even the Holmes has pin failures, time will tell, but John seems to understand our needs.....

Does promodler have you on the payroll or do you blow them for free? I'm not sure there has been a mention of a servo in the last few months that you haven't spammed. I get it, it's a good servo but your constant blathering about it is making me want to stay away.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 09:33 PM   #78
I wanna be Dave

Default Keep breaking servos

So your a shill for noisy crappy servos. I can show you and let you hear my hitech and Savox.
You really are a dick, I don't blow for anyone.
Please stay away from it , everyone else will be the shills, and you could learn... nope I really don't think you do.

But, please show me the failures, I can't find them, can you ?
Put up or stfu .

HANG UP AND DRIVE !
Old 09-24-2016, 09:48 PM   #79
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
So your a shill for noisy crappy servos. I can show you and let you hear my hitech and Savox.
You really are a dick, I don't blow for anyone.
Please stay away from it , everyone else will be the shills, and you could learn... nope I really don't think you do.

But, please show me the failures, I can't find them, can you ?
Put up or stfu .

I'm not a shill for any servo. I've ran a lot of different brands and I keep my replies about them to the facts. I don't remember saying there actually had been failures of this servo in my reply. Care to point that part out?

I wouldn't be surprised if a mod requires you to get a blue star in order to keep pimping.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 10:06 PM   #80
I wanna be Dave

You are a total fool then, I said to show me some failures, or shut up. I come here for facts, not rehashed nonsense . I have a receipt for my servo including sales tax..... you don't even understand pimping.
I did research before spending my money, I've seen and watched Holmes and hitech both fail. I have a couple of failed Savox and tactic servos.... just facts from me. Learn your manners , and play your blue star pimping somewhere else....

Bought and paid for !

HANG UP AND DRIVE !

Keep breaking servos - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
anyone breaking universals twisted bender Axial XR10 37 01-11-2011 08:15 AM
Breaking Down house_Fly Chit Chat 5 12-12-2009 08:53 AM
Im tired of breaking Dickie691986 Newbie General 2 01-05-2008 04:20 PM