Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Advice on grinding down flange on rear axle shaft to fit through beef tubes?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2016, 08:51 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Advice on grinding down flange on rear axle shaft to fit through beef tubes?

I managed to get my beef tubes installed, and ground my axle shafts down, but in the process I slightly bent my longer shaft, and maybe the short one too. I chucked them in my drill and held them to a coarse knife sharpening stone while spinning them at a low speed.

I don't have a dremel so a method not requiring one would be preferred.
theTman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2016, 09:11 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Advice on grinding down flange on rear axle shaft to fit through beef tubes?

I chucked the axles shafts in my drill then sandwiched the flange between 2 metal files. It kept me from applying too much pressure in 1 direction and potentially bending the shafts (sounds like what happened to yours).
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:23 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Advice on grinding down flange on rear axle shaft to fit through beef tubes?

I put on a leather glove and took 80 grit sandpaper in my hand and chucked it up in my drill and held on until I felt heat. It only took a few minutes on each shaft and they fit.
the kil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 04:06 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I put my dremel in my vice (lightly), chucked up a grinding wheel bit, and then slowly spun the shaft in my hand while it lightly touched the spinning grinding wheel bit.

Imagine this could be done with a drill or grinding wheel as well.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Last edited by DowntownScience; 06-03-2016 at 04:08 PM.
DowntownScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:08 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I just got beef tubes, but haven't installed them yet....what is this grinding that needs to be done?!?!
Drm31078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:13 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drm31078 View Post
I just got beef tubes, but haven't installed them yet....what is this grinding that needs to be done?!?!
Near the tang on the rear driveshafts is a ring that is part of the shaft. This needs to be made smaller in diameter to fit through the tube. Only the rear shaft needs to be done from what I've read. I've only installed tubes in the rear, but noticed that my uni's don't have this ring. Check the beeftubes.com website for a picture.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
DowntownScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:00 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

A $40-50 dremel and a multi vise ($25-30) are incredible useful and borderline inexpensive and a must to this hobby...
with this two tool you attach the dremel with a grind stone in the vise and lightly hold the shaft with your hands. the friction will make the shaft move in your hands and will make a perfect circle.

maybe if you get only the grind stone for your drill can be done.
DenisLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 06:12 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drm31078 View Post
Straight off beef tubes site; from my experience you'll really need to file down a lot of this lip, almost so much it mAde me a bit uneasy lol.

rngrchad is offline   Reply With Quote

Advice on grinding down flange on rear axle shaft to fit through beef tubes? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Beef tubes in the rear . realsickclown Axial Wraith 3 10-31-2015 05:48 PM
Axle Tubes (Beef Tubes) Bthomas Arizona 12 12-04-2013 11:27 AM
beef tubes rear axle... dirtyrigpig Axial Wraith 2 05-21-2013 11:19 PM