Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: More questions than answers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2016, 02:03 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default More questions than answers

After doing a bunch of reading, maybe more than I should've, I'm more confused than before I started. I'm in need of some help. Here's the breakdown of my situation.
I'm about to pull the trigger on a bomber kit that is going to be the first ever kit I've done. I have an rtr yeti and scx10 but want something in between them, so my lady can use the scx10 and I'll use the bomber. The plan is to build it as a crawler first rig that I can go trailing with a group of people.
What I do know (very little): I want to run 3s since I already have some, plan on shortening the wheelbase, 2 speed isn't in the plans until things are upgraded and I can throw the $$ at it at a later date. I plan to stick with HH for the motor, esc, and servo. Happy with the HV500 on my yeti so I'll go that route again.
What I don't know/need to figure out: The best HH motor and esc combo for what I want to do, I'm thinking brushless sensored is the way to go? Does the pinion gear come with the motor combos and if not what size shaft these motors use?(Gna use the spur that comes in the kit for a while) I saw something about adding the bullets/90degree bullets and not sure if it's necessary. What else should I be getting for the build in advance?
The kit has some nice upgrades in it so I'm not too worried about early breakage unless there's something that's a sure fire early replacement. Sorry so long winded, hope you guys can help me out. Really looking forward to building a rig from a bag of parts. The only thing I'm worried about skill wise is building the shocks but I'm sure I'll figure it out along the way.
shiftauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2016, 07:14 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: More questions than answers

The HH Puller Pro 2200 kv with a BLE Pro ESC would be a great combo for what you're looking to do. I run this combo with a 3500 kv (2200 kv wasn't available at the time) and it works superbly. You'll need to get a 1/8" bore pinion and I'd suggest 2 or 3 of them so you can experiment, probably 10t, 11t, 12t. The motor comes with 4mm bullets but I don't remember what's on the ESC. You'll also need to get a BEC to power the servo and a CastleLink connector is great to have for programming the ESC.
mikebecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:52 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

If you purchase everything from holmes (esc, motor, bec), they have an option to solder everything up for you. Definitely go with his puller pro motors, kv is your choice, but maybe try out the 2700kv? You might not want the 2 spd with brushless since brushless has everything you need depending on your trigger finger.

I would start out with a 12t pinion, but the kit might come with a pinion, as other kits have before.

Building shocks is really easy, axial has a blog about it and shows you how to do it.

Edit: here's the link for shocks: http://www.axialracing.com/blog_posts/1132

Last edited by 84yoda; 06-08-2016 at 08:54 PM.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 07:43 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I've been thinking about the Bomber Kit as well - still don't know if that's my final choice. Shocks will be easy - took my dad and I a couple minutes with his Wraith kit, shouldn't take me any longer with whichever kit I choose. I would go HH but I don't have that kind of money laying around right now and would probably put that combo in mine as aftermarket.
Wes S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:09 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the info guys and the shock link yoda. There's so many options with HH and I don't want to find out the hard way I bought a motor that isn't Gna do what I want. Hoping to order my kit today and the accessories in the next couple of days.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:22 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Esc: Holmes Hobbies TrailMaster BLE Pro - Speed Controllers - Electronics & Wiring

Motor: Puller Pro BL 540 Standard - Puller Pro Series - Brushless Motors - Motors
Then pick 2200kv or 2700v, and if you want waterproofing.

Accessories: Castle Creations BEC 10A - BECs & Voltage Regulators - Electronics & Wiring
RX Bypass Adapter - Wiring & Wiring Accessories - Electronics & Wiring

Thats everything you need, but go to combos and pick everything there. You will get a discount and also have option to have it all soldered up.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:20 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
Esc: Holmes Hobbies TrailMaster BLE Pro - Speed Controllers - Electronics & Wiring

Motor: Puller Pro BL 540 Standard - Puller Pro Series - Brushless Motors - Motors
Then pick 2200kv or 2700v, and if you want waterproofing.

Accessories: Castle Creations BEC 10A - BECs & Voltage Regulators - Electronics & Wiring
RX Bypass Adapter - Wiring & Wiring Accessories - Electronics & Wiring

Thats everything you need, but go to combos and pick everything there. You will get a discount and also have option to have it all soldered up.
Could I just run the heyok bec instead of the CC bec? I personally like the simplicity of it and not having to use a computer adjust it if necessary. I'd definitely do waterproofing, even though I don't plan on running it in water or mud, things may change out on the trail.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:43 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftauto View Post
Could I just run the heyok bec instead of the CC bec? I personally like the simplicity of it and not having to use a computer adjust it if necessary. I'd definitely do waterproofing, even though I don't plan on running it in water or mud, things may change out on the trail.
Yes you could, but having a castle link is a good idea because you'll need to program the esc as well.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:49 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Hmm, hadn't even thought about that. That could be a problem since my computer crapped out and I never use it so I wasn't going to replace it. Can it be done with an iPad?
Old 06-09-2016, 01:57 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Hmm, hadn't even thought about that. That could be a problem since my computer crapped out and I never use it so I wasn't going to replace it. Can it be done with an iPad?
Not sure about that. Do you have a local hobby shop? They might be able to program the esc and bec for you.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:07 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Yeah I do. I'll hit up a computer guy I know and see if I can get a laptop off him if needed. Might as well start learning the programming side of the hobby too.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:45 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Definitely a good choice, because you can fine tune your esc settings.

Before you purchase an esc, have you heard of the new castle MMX (mamba monster X) esc? You can set up on the fly drag brake to your remote so if your crawling you can adjust drag brake, then if you want to bash and hit some jumps, you can turn off the drag brake. Just another option.
Old 06-09-2016, 07:22 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

HIGHLY recommend the Mamba Monster X, then you don't even need a BEC. Factory waterproof too whether you need it or not. Drag brake on and off on the fly is the best thing since sliced bread.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 11:38 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

I'll keep that on the options list. I don't think HH does a combo kit with it though.
Old 06-10-2016, 01:41 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I remember seeing he was working on it. If not, contact him.
Old 06-21-2016, 02:08 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

It's time to put in my order for electronics but a couple more questions. What's the difference in standard,xl,and stubby? Is it purely the size of the motor case? Will the mamba monster X and a tactic ttx300 allow me to use on the fly drag break? Feel like I read the mmx needs a smarter tx.
Old 06-21-2016, 02:14 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
What's the difference in standard,xl,and stubby? Is it purely the size of the motor case?
Stubby, Standard and XL are increasing lengths and power. The standard is more than enough power for a Bomber.
Old 06-21-2016, 02:33 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Ok thx. Leaning to PP 540 standard 2700 waterproof. Sent an email to find out if they're doing the mmx in any combos or not.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:15 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Mamba monster x = mmx
Mamba micro x = mmx

Make sure your specific on wanting the monster X.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:20 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 260
Size:  650 Bytes

Last edited by mikebecher; 06-21-2016 at 06:45 PM. Reason: fixed for Tapatalk wankers

More questions than answers - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can't find the answers to my questions. Cmarcan167 Axial Wraith 5 01-21-2014 03:46 PM
questions need answers hellhound General Crawlers 8 12-23-2011 03:44 PM
First timer: I've got Questions, you have answers? grob23 Paint and Body 5 05-03-2009 10:42 PM
If you have answers I have questions Ghostkid Newbie General 9 03-26-2009 12:53 AM
winch questions and answers rckjeep Electronics 30 01-26-2006 04:17 PM