Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Bomber parts bin build - code name: Floppy-Sheet-Metal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2016, 10:46 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Bomber parts bin build - code name: Floppy-Sheet-Metal

I got my son a Bomber for Christmas last year, he never used it much and it mostly sat in the shop. We upgraded the motor to a traxxas 550 21t, it still sat unused.

In anticipation of getting an SCX10 II kit and some broken Wroncho parts I parted out the Wroncho, beefed up the Bomber and put the G6 jeep in its stock 1.9 format for the first time.

Bomber upgrades: Pitbull Rock Beast II TIRES, Wraith VP titanium links, VP knuckles, Axial Universal Driveshafts, Hitec 7950, MMP, Tekin Pro 4 4000kv, 55wt shock oil top off, 11t pinion (10 would be better).

Wheelbase is 1/2" shorter now, 14.25"

In near stock format it was underwhelming to say the least. Handled like a floppy piece of sheet metal, torque twist, poor turning radius, just a dog all around.

NOW.....

Awesome!.... Beastly!.....Stable!..... Capable Crawler!.....

#TRANSFORMED

I had to put the spare tire back on as a wheelie bar!

PS. My son loves the 1.9 G6 SCX10! He's driven it more in the last 48 hours than he ever drove the Bomber.

Wins all around although I do miss my Wroncho.

Parts bin Axial HD Underdrive gears in back coming next.

Last edited by Irishchamp; 08-10-2016 at 11:00 AM.
Irishchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2016, 10:55 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Bomber parts bin build - code name: Floppy-Sheet-Metal

You might want to shorten that rear driveshaft. It's already binding before full compression. That's hard on the pinion and trans output.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:56 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Looks nice, what wheels are you running with those rock beasts?
Adamgllc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 11:15 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I did shorten it some, good eye though, it needs to be trimmed another 1/8-1/4". 👍

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
You might want to shorten that rear driveshaft. It's already binding before full compression. That's hard on the pinion and trans output.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:19 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

You know I can't remember. 😬
They're machines aluminum beadlocks, VP hubs and delrin Beadlock ring from a vender on the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamgllc View Post
Looks nice, what wheels are you running with those rock beasts?
Old 08-11-2016, 12:46 PM   #6

looks awesome. How do you like the Hitec 7950? I need to have a servo picked out when my stock one finally breaks down. I have to say its lasted over a month already and running strong.
Cali_Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 04:32 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I run a 7950th in my Yet XL, it is an awesome servo. I have had it in 4 RC's in the last two years. Great Servo! runs at 7.4v and requires an external BEC on most ESC's.
Adamgllc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 11:33 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I have 4 or 5 7950's in use currently, they're great! Next time I buy a servo I'll get one of the newer Hitec servos or Holmes Hobbies new waterproof beast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali_Lightning View Post
looks awesome. How do you like the Hitec 7950? I need to have a servo picked out when my stock one finally breaks down. I have to say its lasted over a month already and running strong.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:37 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Mine have played many roles over the years as well! I run them at 8.5 or 9 volts (can't recall the exact BEC setting), or sometimes directly off of a 2s pack....

The only one I'm running at lower voltage is using the internal BEC of the Castle Mamba Monster X, it's under 8 volts I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamgllc View Post
I run a 7950th in my Yet XL, it is an awesome servo. I have had it in 4 RC's in the last two years. Great Servo! runs at 7.4v and requires an external BEC on most ESC's.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:51 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Installed Underdrive Gears in back and Overdrive Gears in Front. I haven't taken it out yet.....

Anyone have any input on using UD and OD in a Bomber or similar? I've actually never run offset differential gearing.....

My gut is telling my that just using one set of HD UD/OD gears will make it more high speed friendly while still improving steering and climbing....especially with the 4000kv motor, its already getting warm after extended runs in the 90 plus degree weather. I just had both HD gear sets bolted up to nice slop free spools and I threw them in...

How will the motor perceive the gearing load? is it going to act like its geared lower, higher or somewhere in the middle?

I just entered everything in a speed calculator, looks like there is a 6mph difference between the front and back tires now?! 36/14 vs 43/13. That seems absurd! It'll be interesting at the least to see how it performs.

Last edited by Irishchamp; 08-12-2016 at 11:54 AM.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:54 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Most people run normal in the front and underdrive the rear, OD/UD is a lot of difference. Not to mention how weak the OD gears are.

The OD/UD thing is more for crawling, you wouldn't want to do that for speed, expecially with a 4000kv motor.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 11:59 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I'm quite certain your right!

Are OD gears weak because of gear mesh? I shimmed them and they feel slop free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maslin View Post
Most people run normal in the front and underdrive the rear, OD/UD is a lot of difference. Not to mention how weak the OD gears are.

The OD/UD thing is more for crawling, you wouldn't want to do that for speed, expecially with a 4000kv motor.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:29 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

yes, the gear mesh is horrible on 36/14 OD gears. It's pretty easy to tell just by looking at them. I either run UD in front and rear do to the much improved mesh or UD rear standard HD front for that little bit of better steering, less torque twist, and improved climbing ability.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 02:50 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Ditch those OD gears asap. Sell them on here and get another set of UD gears. If you dont like the reduced speed, add another tooth on pinion to make up for the gears.

Do you really run the 7950 at 8.4-9v with no problems? Is the difference in oz and speed noticeable (vs 7.4v)? I can stall my 7950 in my comp rig and might bump it up to 8v.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 09:29 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I tried running it just for fun with the OD gears in front, astonishingly unstable, put standard gears back in front. It's running great! Very fun rig!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
yes, the gear mesh is horrible on 36/14 OD gears. It's pretty easy to tell just by looking at them. I either run UD in front and rear do to the much improved mesh or UD rear standard HD front for that little bit of better steering, less torque twist, and improved climbing ability.

I better check before I start giving advice but I'm quite certain I have at least 3 of them over 8v. I'll let you know. Regarding speed and power.....I've not recently compared, I do recall liking them better at a slightly higher voltage when I first did it. They're 2s capable, 2s = 8.4v plus a little headroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
Ditch those OD gears asap. Sell them on here and get another set of UD gears. If you dont like the reduced speed, add another tooth on pinion to make up for the gears.

Do you really run the 7950 at 8.4-9v with no problems? Is the difference in oz and speed noticeable (vs 7.4v)? I can stall my 7950 in my comp rig and might bump it up to 8v.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:46 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Yoda, sorry for the serious delay on the BEC voltage report! 😬
I checked two of my bec's, one is @ 8, the other @ 8.5. You've still got me curious of the max I'm running, I may have the 7980 @ 9 volts, it's a pain in the a$$ to get to the BEC plugs so I've only checked two so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post

Old 08-26-2016, 07:52 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

6" Mud tires!.....
Also, I'm embarrassed but I just discovered that on my DX4s I had the Throttle Travel set to 100% for every rig I own, wheel speed increases all the way up to 130-140%!! EVERTHING I own is faster now! ��
I have to say, I'm somewhat expecting a motor failure now, I've always been amazed that my 4000kv Tekin Pro4 has held up to 3s abuse for so long, lol. Too funny!

Old 08-27-2016, 11:56 AM   #18

How are those mud tires for crawling? I've always loved the look of a rig with those kind of wheels.

Sent fra min SM-G930F via Tapatalk
TIshoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 02:42 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I've not done much crawling with them but they're sticky and seem to Do ok on the rocks. They have stock single stage foams and are not vented currently too so I know there is room for improvement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIshoel View Post
How are those mud tires for crawling? I've always loved the look of a rig with those kind of wheels.

Sent fra min SM-G930F via Tapatalk
Carnage is the perfect word for these, they really tear sh!t up! Now I just need to find some mud. anyone around Reno know a good muddin' spot??

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVIaarten View Post
Let's the carnage begin!
Old 08-27-2016, 03:26 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

I run a similar on mine. They haven't seen mud and may never. Semi decent in rocks and excellent in loose dirt and the yard.
Brake Weight is online now   Reply With Quote

Bomber parts bin build - code name: Floppy-Sheet-Metal - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bomber setup sheet? terrible Axial RR10 Bomber 1 02-13-2016 02:40 PM
My 1.9 Truggy build.... Parts Bin for the Win MudHoncho 1.9 Scale Rigs 4 01-11-2015 07:43 PM
Sheet Metal KennethXJ Paint and Body 0 10-03-2012 06:38 PM
Get the FOFF out of here, the parts bin build stewbaru Formula Offroad 6 12-13-2011 05:07 PM